Weight loss accountability buddy or thread discussion

Yeah, it was like a mild flu with the exception it took longer and I was more tired. The fatigue for the first couple days was incredible. I think it will take a while to be 100%

Absolutely - as is being said : do not diet on the bike.
I was doing that and the only thing i was doing was robbing myself from an increase in performance.
Since Iā€™ve given up on fasted rides (apart from Z2) I have so much more energy, less fatigue post-workout, less leg pain, etc.

1 Like

Thatā€™s fair, but I think my main point was that even if you pay attention and make sure to fuel yourself well around your workouts, if your overall energy deficit is too large your performance on hard/long rides is still going to suffer. Something to keep in mind when trying to thread the needle between weight loss and performance!

im sure this is talked about ad nauseum, and I know iā€™m just shouting into the void here, but I struggle so much with the balance of fueling myself for workouts vs. meeting calorie deficit goals. I just cant seem to find any guidance that actually works.

Iā€™m 5ā€™11, 172 and am training for my first full IM with about 3 years of consistent training under my belt. Iā€™ve been hovering around 172 for at least a calendar year. Peaked at about 185 a few years ago when I thought I could be a body builder (didnt we all?), and now Iā€™m stuck. I could stand to lose 5, maybe no more than 10 pounds.

Obviously when I dont fuel enough, I feel it and my workouts (and sleep, and mood) suffer. But its finding that level of ā€œenoughā€ that also lets me lose weight that I struggle with. I dont understand how Iā€™m supposed to get into a leaner racing weight when, literally 10 months before my event, Iā€™m working out for 7+ hours over the weekend. How do I fuel for that in a defecit? Iā€™ve been trying to aim for a modest 300ish defecit now - butā€¦ who knows.

/end of rant. thank you for coming to my tedtalk.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure the podcast has said you canā€™t train for gains and lose weight as you will under fuel, as you seem to be finding.

You can eat clean and fuel properly and still control your weight I believe. Needs nutritional snacks at the right times imho

2 Likes

I do now realize how bratty my post seemed in greater context - sorry about that!
I guess Iā€™m just frustrated at being ā€œstuckā€ where I am. I want XYZ, but im just now sure how to get there.

1 Like

Really sory to hear that GTorio, get well soon.

1 Like

Didnā€™t realise I hadnā€™t updated in the spread for 5 weeks, eqaul to the amount of time I have really let my foot off the gas with this. Inevitably I am pretty much where I started. Had quite a bit of stuff on but to be honest could have kept this up. Anyway, no Stress, just much more fruit and vegetables. Onwards!!!

2 Likes

I think thatā€™s a great way of framing the question. In my case Iā€™m in a similar boat as @JP77 (Iā€™m actually 180cm and 67kg, which I think should be 5ā€™11" and 148lbs), so my situation is comparatively very positive. However, just 6 months ago I had gone up to 75kg and just had stopped paying attention to nurturing my body with food, rather eating emotionally, for pleasure and in a disordered fashion.

My idea is to stabilize at the weight Iā€™ve always been comfortable at (around 65kg - Iā€™m naturally very skinny) and then just maintain the habits that have led me to lose the weight. So in a sense Iā€™m not just looking to lose weight, as Iā€™m quite close to my goal, but rather Iā€™m looking to shift my mindset around nutrition and improve my diet. So far, this has helped me with weight loss, but I see the shift as being about more than just weight.

I also think this is a way of framing the question that could help other people who are maybe at a different point in their journey?

2 Likes

Sorry to hear you got it. Iā€™m 6 weeks from symptoms (for the record I had no cough, fever or loss of smell - only tight chest, head ache and fatigue) and still a bit up and down with energy. You totally have to play it by ear, accept the fitness loss and think of the long game.
Sounds like youā€™re well on the road to recovery tho which is great news.

Iā€™m with you 100% @JP77.
Lots of parallels with your situation. (although didnā€™t fall for the body builder dream - lol - just put on 3kgs which I canā€™t shift). Iā€™m 171cm and went up from 67 to 70kgs in Oct 2019 during my ā€˜end of season chill out monthā€™ and now stuck there!
So hard to get the balance of fuelling and getting lean.
Iā€™ve been trying to hold 250 cals deficit each day, but then all it takes is a glass of wine or a bit of chocolate one day and all your weekā€™s deficit is undone! AAARGH.

i will say one thing that HAS helped, at least with appetite and portion control, is a recent focus on whole grains. Alot of my daily diet is still carbs (egg-bagel sandwich in morning, peanut butter sandwich at lunch, a baked or sweet potato with dinner). but Iā€™ve noticeably started feeling more full compared to when I was less focused on the grain piece.

ā€¦which in turn may or may not lead me to being able to fit in an extra 99 calorie beer and still meet my calorie goals :wink:

1 Like

This seems to be an area where people are totally mixed on the approach - some folks say to load up on high volume / low calorie salads, other seem to say it expands your stomach and you come to expect that level of ā€œphysical fullā€ in the future, even when eating more dense foods. For years I did this ā€œhigh volumeā€ approach, only recently have a I switched it up to the ā€œsmall bowlā€ routine and I do feel much better knowing Iā€™m calorically satisfied while not stuffed to the gills.

1 Like

Hello everyone,
I am trying to loose some weight to improve wkg but i am having some problems with it thatā€™s why i want to ask u some tips and suggestions for me. I am 1.88 cm height with 80 kg (i know i have not too much to loose but my goal 74-75 kgs).

My problem is calculating wrong calori goal and binge eating :frowning: i have been using my fitnesspal app and i adjust 1.750 caloris intake per day (without workouts. I eat what i burnt. For example if i burnt 1.000 caloris in the workout i try to eat 1.000 +1.750 caloris in that day). I also steps 10.000 steps everyday (without skipping any day). But after a while suddenly i go crazzy and i binge eating (eating toooooooo much bad stuffs 3000 caloris or more in such a short time). And thats why i loose 1 kgs and gain 2 kgs :frowning: I guess and i know my method is totally wrong. So please help me especially for calori goal. I am searching on the net and every web site says diffrent and i try to get avg of them (thats how i aimed 1750 cal per day).

My age is 28 and i am doing ssbhv1 (at the sixth week).
Thanks in advance and sorry for my English :slight_smile:

similarly, I have a hard time getting a measurement of what I burn during a day outside of workouts. Its literally a guessing game, right??

1 Like

and still going down, -0.2 this week.
Iā€™ve also hit my lowest weight last week since August (when I decided to focus first and foremost on perf, rather than weight loss) so obviously things are going in the right direction.
My hope of hitting 3w/kg might actually materialise this year!

4 Likes

@azizunsalkaraman I found similiar, I think it was when I was under eating whilst training, so actually increasing ā€œhealthyā€ food decreased hunger and hence the desire to binge went away? I was having the obvious fruit etc, but added in oat biscuits with peanut butter which filled me up more.

2 Likes

Another week of big weight loss (0.9kg), a bit too much in my eyes, and I definitely felt it. Was very attentive to how much I ate, and ended up feeling really tired and unable to properly support the training. Itā€™s one thing to ā€œnot diet on the bikeā€ (have never done that), but even dieting off the bike can start having knock on effects when you push 15-18hrs of weekly training. This, coupled with being very close to my goal weight for the spring (at 66kg now, goal weight is 64), has now led me to the conclusion that itā€™s time to stop the calorie counting and seeing if I can stabilise my weight using hunger/fullness cues as my guide.

Overall, this has been an eye-opening process that has lasted a while, with substantial fluctuations and interesting learnings. More than that, I feel like I have properly broken my old habits, and the what and how I eat has changed massively. Aside from knowing that I can stick with putting myself in a deficit and staying there for a few months, I feel like the change in habits and overall diet should be the longest-lasting effect of this whole thing.

Iā€™ll keep weighing myself daily and checking in weekly, but in the meantime I wanted to thank everyone here for the support and help throughout all this! Itā€™s been great!

5 Likes

Thanks for replying.
Now i will edit my caloris goal as 2000 per day (without workout). I guess 1.750 was not good for me and thats why i binged a lot. I hope this time will survive :frowning:

I am 79.5 kg now with 1.88 cm height.
Everyday i step 10.000 steps (rest of the day i sit)

So will 2.000 caloris + workout (i will eat what i burn) ok for loosing weight?

Edit= I am a little bit confused about which activity level should i choose? Sedentary, light active, moderate etc. I step 10k per day and do tr workouts but the rest i sit. So which one you advice me to choose (for finding right tdee and caloris goal per day)?

@azizunsalkaraman I always use sedentary level. In my case it acts as a psychological barrier and since not everyday I do the same level of activity it keeps me on the safe side (Iā€™m a lazy bastardā€¦)
Set different levels and look the differenceā€¦ As far as I remember it was not too bigā€¦

2 Likes