Wahoo Tickr longevity

You guys are a jinx, mine literally broke today after having no issues until this point. Need to buy another one now

My tickr is going on 4 years old and so far so ok. Replaced the strap a couple years ago after the button broke off but the tickr is intact. Should probably buy a new strap just to have on hand. I have been following the advice I read in this thread about removing it completely from the strap between workouts and that seems to be helping reduce the number of stalls/flat lines that I experience, though it hasn’t completely stopped them. I’m probably about due for a battery flip or replacement as that usually takes care of the stalls for a time.

Ha! I just fixed the one side of my tickr and now the other side has broken in the same way - button broken.

So I’ve fixed that also, but now have to cut the strap and add a clasp, as the strap is now glued to the HRM on both sides. Something to keep me occupied during COVId lockdown.

Lesson learned in future to disconnect the contacts after every ride to let dry, and clean the tickr after every few rides.

I threw mine in the trash this past weekend. Battery started to corode and the tickr would only show 160bpm. Ordered one from Garmin as I had bad experiences with the wahoo cadence and speed sensor as well…

Don’t want to flame, but honestly, Wahoo quality sucks: KickR and TickR.

Mine is still working more or less, though I do have these weird BPM drops, but nothing that distorts my average for a whole ride so far. And the plasic IS flimsy, how you connect it to your belt. So immediately I have been very careful in how I take if off from the belt again.

I also have corosion everywhere: inside, on the connection points, etc.

It’s really a pity… I really like their bike computer, I have the Elment Bolt. I think it is way ahead of Garmin in terms of how you can customize pages and how the app works.

Why is it so difficult to build quality products, Wahoo? I’d rather pay a bit more for more quality.

During this time of self-isolation I started crafting as a new hobby. Yesterday was my first attempt. I made a deconstructed Tickr a la Gallagher. It turned out better than I imagined and was deeply satisfying. If you’d like to purchase this original art piece, or if you’d like me to create a similar high-impact ode to the quality that is your Tickr, I’ll be starting up an Etsy page real soon; you can contact me through there. All sales final.

Other than that…help me decide: Polar H10 or Garmin Dual?

I brought mine back to life

2 Likes

Just to say that I’ve had similar issues with the Tickr dying after 6-12 months, giving consistent dropouts or periods where it sits at like 90bpm for ages, and so on.

Got round to messaging Wahoo support who made me do a quick test, and when that failed sent me new one straight away which arrived within a few days.

TL;DR - they’re definitely not the most durable, but Wahoo customer service is good and they replaced it super quickly for me.

Yes, it seems customer support is quick and reasonable. But still, it’s damage control. I’d rather have a reliable product to begin with.

I am wondering whether there will be a new KickR 2020/2021 in which they fundamentally changed flaws. That would sign they are REALLY committed to solving issues by preventing them from happening the first place.

That’s…gnarly. :grimacing:

The main issue is sweat ingress into the main unit, not the straps. Another common place for corrosion is on the 2 springs, one of which sits under each contact point in the main unit.

Open the HRM using a fine spludger or knife edge and separate into 2 halve. Clean or replace the small contact springs and put the unit back together using silicone. Your hrm should again work fine.

1 Like

So, been using a Tickr for 2 years now. One strap corroded, so using another.

Today I noticed that it kept connecting to my watch, even when it was just hanging from a hook. Sure enough when I wore it for a workout the battery was dead. This is a new battery I inserted just 2 days ago.

So, obviously, it is not ‘sleeping’. Any suggestions?

I recommend disconnecting the sensor from both ends of the strap. I used to leave mine snapped into one side but then noticed corrosion, so I completely separate the sensor and strap. I also store the sensor either in a cloth pouch or face down (snaps up) to ensure that no electrical circuit could be made that would drain the battery.

5 Likes

I have 2, (left one behind working out of town that was later sent to me). After each ride, I take the strap into the shower with me and give it a good rinse and gentle scrub on the pads. I rinse the head unit in tap water and dry it right away as well. Strap and head unit stored separately. No issues except battery changes.

3 Likes

I’m having the same problem. The first one . Only lasted for six months. But wahoo was fast on replacing it. The replacement item only last for one year with the same issue not detecting the heart rate but connected. Already sent an email to Wahoo on the issue, I dont know if still under warranty.

1 Like

Didn’t realise the tickr had a 2 year warranty so bought the new style tickr after my original one snapped.
The shop I bought from told me to contact wahoo regards my old one and after a quick email my replacement tickr ( now for my wife) arrives Tuesday.
I seem to be lucky in that I got almost 2 years from my tickr and brilliant wahoo service.

Two Tickrs and neither worked well or lasted. Battery life poor and completely unreliable. Unfortunately no receipts to send back…will not buy again. Shame as found other wahoo stuff really good

You don’t need a receipt. I’ve returned a couple of mine. They just ask for the serial number which is on the box if you still have it.

1 Like

Thanks… I don’t know if I do but will take a look.

As great as customer service is at Wahoo (i also had two tickrX replaced for free) i cant believe how bad the quality of the Tickr (1. Gen) actually is.
Too many times unreliable, disconnecting or not connecting for no reason, or falling apart.

Is this actually better with the Gen2?