Wahoo kickr issue after changing belt

Hello I recently changed my wahoo kickr 2016-2017 belt. Now the it is ubearable to do a threshold workout or above. I already done a factory calibration with the wahoo fitness app and a noramal calibration with TrainerRoad app. I am using a bestorq belt not the gates one, but I don’t think it should be an issue. What could be wrong?

Maybe it’s too tight and even doing a factory calibration isn’t really helping? Don’t know, sorry, but all I can add is that I replaced the belt on my '17 Kickr a few months ago and had a couple of attempts at getting the belt tension set. What’s your spindown number when you calibrate?

How did you set the belt tension? I recall there being a ‘gates’ belt app that they recommend you use to set the tension.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bicycle-belt-tension-meter/id438346486

For iOS

Yep, that’s the one. Just looked through my notes, and the information I got 2nd had said 100Hz with that app was appropriate for a gen 2(2016) kickr. This may be different on newer models.

Same belt on 16 and 17 as I recall.

Bought 3 of them for under $50

OK, I guess it was the '18 that they moved to the grooved (and now quiet) belt. I could see that different belt type having a different tension, but I would expect both ribbed belt models to be the same.

Correct, the 18 is Grooved whereas ours are Ribbed

Can only guess we have more pleasure knowing ours are way cheaper to replace! :wink:

I didn’t realise there was an app, I simply did it the way I do most things - half arsed after a quick bit of youtube research! Video Adjusting Belt Tension New - YouTube

1 Like

Thanks, I seems the belt was to tight, I loosen it a bit and its normal again. On the other hand the Bestorq belt I bought is extremely noisy. I put again the old Gates one. It seems that it can work for a few more months of use. Will have to buy a new Gates to change it. Bestorq belt is cheaper but too loud.

So when you do a spin down. With a 17 kicker. How long should it take. I just replaced my belt. MY problem is im all most out of adjustment with a 45 degree twist with the new belt.

I thought direct drive spin down times don’t count. only wheel on snap trainers.

I know from motorcycles a belt tension meter is used. So What is that for a smart trainer?

Im sure wahoo has to set there belt tension for 2000 watts. Because that’s how they sell this trainer. But What is the sweet spot 200-700 watts?? A normal person might need 45-60 degrees of belt twist and never slip a belt.

My belt got so loose i ripped it apart at about 300 watts.

I did a mod so i can check belt tension with a 6 mm alan key.

my big point is belt tension. 45 degrees or 60 Most say 90 degree belt twist is to loose??

Hello! Does anyone know first-hand whether the Gates PowerGrip GT and the Gates PowerGrip HDT belts are interchangeable for a 2017 Kickr? In theory they could be…just very small differences in the tooth profile. In practice, they may not be…so if you’ve tried or are currently running the HDT belt model, please let me know how it is (or isn’t :frowning: ) working for you! Thank you :slight_smile:

I’ve replaced mine a couple of times, I’ll check what it is and get back.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay, been away from home. I am using a Gates PowerGrip HTD 8505M15 belt at the moment and it’s been fine.

Thanks, so much Ben!!! I’ll pick one up :slight_smile:

1 Like