Wahoo KICKR increased resistance due to wear of internal component

I have a 2014 KICKR with around 500 hours of use. I noticed recently that all of a sudden, when I stopped pedaling, the pedals kept spinning. Also when I backpedaled, there was resistance at the cassette. I contacted Wahoo and apparently there is an inner spacer under the cassette that is subject to wear over time. I ordered two replacement parts so I could replace the worn part and would have a spare. After the replacement, the KICKR runs like new again. The attached photo shows the old and new spacer. Note the issue is the wear and the top where the metal had worn away and not the scrape marks on the outside. The scrapes are due to the spacer being stuck and requiring pliers to remove.

5 Likes

Hi,

Could you tell me the part number of the spacer, please? I have the same problem and I would like to order them.

thanks,
Ed

If you reach out to Wahoo support, they will sell you the spacer for $20 + tax and shipping. I just had to do it last week.

1 Like

@nickster check out this forum

I found wahoo didn’t want to sell these anymore. I ended up making my own and have helped a few people get back up and running. If you need any please let me know.

2 Likes

Thanks @Michael_R , I think I’m ok for now - long story short I swapped my '17 freehub with the latest version wahoo sells. I had to make my own tool to get the ring off that the pawls glide against, but once that was done the new freehub worked fine, and it came with new shims (which will wear out…).

I made the tool out of a schedule 40 pipe connector, surprisingly worked well.

I could really use one of those spacers if you have any available. Thanks!

Yes I have more available! Send me a note at miker5501@gmail.com

1 Like

Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening?