Wahoo Kickr Core incompatible with Trek Emonda 2021

Edit: Answered my own question. Please ignore!

One possible solution to solve this incompatibility would be to source Wahoo’s 12x142mm TA adapter (https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/accessories/kickr-142x12-thru-axle-adapter) which normally allows users with a TA bike to ride the Kickr V1 and V2 trainers, but in this case would work on Kickrs V3, V4 and V5 to avoid contact with the carbon seatstay. Users would then use the QR axle spacing adapters on the Kickr instead, and tighten the TA adapter skewer against the outside of the bike frame like a QR skewer. Not ideal but avoids the frame contact with the Kickr’s TA spacing adapters.

Am I missing something? I have a Domane 2020 sl6 and I swear mine fits perfect on the new v5 despite being on the incompatible list. I don’t have that large lip pictured in the Korean post. Mine is near the exact size of the 142 adapter side. Nice and snug, but I’m worried now.

Following some internal Trek info, it sounds like it may not be as widespread as the simple info implies. Sounds like Wahoo will be editing for clarity in the near future, and they seem to be working on a solution for the ones with real issues.

1 Like

Great, thanks for the info. I just received the v5 and I legit had a machinist lined up to fix this and it fits perfect.

1 Like

My 2021 domane ALR5 seems to fit pretty well too. I just picked up a saris h3 and have my return label ready for the kickr but if they are about to fix this, I’d love to keep using it. It’s been working really well for me

Can I ask where you’re hearing this internal talk? Have you heard anything about specific models? Trek and wahoo both told me to not use it and to return the trainer

This is mine, which doesn’t seem to have the gap issue Trek domane 2021 - Album on Imgur

1 Like

I am a Trek shop employee, and following a discussion thread in their Community section, specifically on the issue.

PS, sent a PM with some more info :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

My 2021 with a Kickr v4 is compatible. No issues, plenty of clearance. So I would say check first before completely ruling either one out.

A true lockdown project if ever there was one, well done.

3 Likes

do you have a domane or emonda? Which frame? AL, SL, SLR?

2021 Domane SLR

Sorry, that was definitely valuable information that I left out.

1 Like

Any more recent updates from trek/wahoo? I asked a week ago in my wahoo service ticket if they had any plans and was told that they did not have plans for an adapter and that they suggest returning my unit.

I realize customer service reps may not have the most insight into this - so i’m curious if any insiders have heard any further developments over the last week?

Wahoo’s response this morning:

"We have now confirmed with trek that the AL Domane will work with the kickr (as per their support staff).

Please still exercise caution when using it, however according to Trek, the frame should work."

The Trek rep I spoke with also mentioned Wahoo is working on an adapter for the emonda & domane carbon frames and that they hope it will be available by the end of December.

3 Likes

Hi @DougJohn31 can you tell me how you did this ?
I’m from Manchester and have this issue .
My number is 07414220414 . If you can send me a msg on what’s app I would like to speak with you . Thanks

1 Like

Damn, I’m disappointed that my Domane SLR 2020 isn’t officially supported. Haven’t even considered that there might have been some fit issues. I really hope there will be an official fix from Wahoo soon.

Here are some pics from my rear dropout. Could this be bad other than cosmetics?

you’re fine, it’s cosmetic at this point. If you were to continue doing this for a few years, maybe it’d chew away quite a bit. But the good news is that wahoo seems to be working on it and something should be available in the coming weeks

2 Likes

And… it happen to me. 2021 Emonda SL5 and Kickr V5. 2 1/2 months of riding. As of this morning, wahoo said they will have an update on Thursday for me in regards to adapter. Gonna do it myself tomorrow though (or atleast try) … As for my frame, is this a structural issue? There is a tiny lip the adapter made.

I’d say that it is probably fine but something I’d take to Trek and have them inspect.

I plan on doing the same thing when I’m back in the other location where my Emonda is. Fortunately I literally bought the Emonda and the Kickr from the same Trek store at the same time, so if it’s damaged I’m going to make a strong case for a warranty replacement.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry one bit about that. Mostly it looks like paint/resin that has compressed.

1 Like

Looks fine to me.