Wahoo Kickr compatibility issues

After months of waiting I finally decided to buy me a trainer and get started on TrainerRoad.
So I bought me a new Wahoo Kickr Core, awesome!
The box arrived at my house, I unpack, build and try to install my cassette… BAM it does not fit :frowning:

I have a Canyon Exceed MTB with a sram 1x11 (X0) setup, but apparently XD drivers are in no way compatible with the kickr. Even tho all the info on their site and such say SRAM 11 Speed compatible… not this kind of 11 speed then… :confused:

Is there a way I can still ride my MTB on a trainer and have it compatible with my cassette?
I have read some possibility that some road cassettes “might” work with my X0 derailleur, but this would require adjustments to my derailleur, which in turn would mean I would have to re-calibrate my derailleur every time I swap from indoor to outdoor.

What are my options to be able to get to ride trainer road!?

Any 11 speed cassette will work. The spacing between cogs are the same and the width of the cogs are the same between SRAM/Shimano road/mountain bike groupsets so it will work just fine with the RD and chain you already have. I’d just pick up a 1130 spec SRAM cassette or 105 spec Shimano cassette from your LBS or online retailer of choice and you’ll be good to go.

Congrats on the new trainer!

Thanks for the quick feedback.
I have ordered a PG-1130 11-42t it kind looks like the 10-42 gearing I have now.

Only sad that I had to spend more money, I hope to be in buss by tomorrow :slight_smile:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Question. If I run an 11-42 1x on my MTB, can I use an 11-28 road cassette on my kickr without adjusting my derailleur? Or do I need to buy an 11-42 cassette? I just bought the kickr core, one of the reasons why I bought it is to follow my training plan on my MTB.

1 Like

For those that didn’t find it via other methods, here are the answers to the question above:

2 Likes

Ok so this is my setup and how I solved my issues.

Canyon Exceed MTB 1x11 32T - 10-42T (sram xd hub)
Wahoo kickr core

I bought the 11-42 road cassette from sram 1130 with the standard RD hub that fits on the trainer, this works without changing anything to my rear derailleur, it took some time before it felt really good but after a few rides its worked in, have to shift a little more careful under heavyload, but other then that it works fine.

Another issue i encoutered is that trainers are made for roadbikes and that even in the 32-10 setup i was only getting about 150watt before i would run out of gears. This is no problem when riden erg, but without its not nice! This can be fixed by running the wahoo fitness app and starting a training there, then you can go into “sim” mode in your workout in this app, and you can create “wind resistance” if you put this on about 35 you will get a nice baseline resistance and now you can have decent watts in all gears.

I hope this helps anyone with simular problems.

1 Like