Wahoo Elemnt Bolt (V2 Color)

Signal is also included if anyone else is using it.

2 Likes

I really really hope that they come out with an updated ROAM soon as well, would be nice with an even bigger screen, more and better colors, as well as all the other goodies that the new BOLT got.

3 Likes

Yes. Onboard routing, so turn-by-turn whatever the route source since the Bolt 2 is no longer reliant on the source (website) generating the turn-by-turn cues.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve owned both and would never go back to the itty bitty bolt screen. In fact, Iā€™m now on a 1030 and love the even bigger screen. I have ā€œmasters categoryā€ eyes and I want an iPad out front! :rofl:

7 Likes

Would like to get one as Iā€™m realising that having both the Bolt and Edge 530 is probably a bit excessive though both have their advantages.

Might sell the Bolt now whilst Iā€™ll still get decent money for it (c.Ā£150) then keep hold of the Edge for summer.

Iā€™m a bit of a tech nerd so have tried most of the recent lower to mid range computers and whilst out of all of them i prefer the Wahoo system, I do find their rerouting slightly annoying in that it wonā€™t simply tell you to turn around and instead took me on a 2 mile circular detour to then take the right turning.

I think the ease of use, Strava TBT and a decent colour screen is whatā€™s sold.it.for me, provided the software becomes stable.

Yup, I bought one straight away.

I love everything about my Bolt except for the lack of (real) navigation. Itā€™s a major annoyance and frustration to have such a powerful GPS device on my bars and still get lost. Itā€™s happened, especially at confusing junctions. Or even more to the point, if Iā€™m out in a fun new area and want to explore a bit, I dislike not feeling confidence I can back to my start without digging out my phone and dealing with that. And because of the Boltv1ā€™s mediocre routing, getting TBT directions onto it in the first place is more hassel than it should be.

The firmware problems are annoying, but I trust Wahoo to sort it, personally.

1 Like

I would tend to agree, but itā€™s funny, one of the biggest gripes about Garmin is how sometimes it feels as if the consumer is a product tester and now Wahoo launches a device that, by their own accord, isnā€™t up to snuf. LOL

4 Likes

What are the advantages of the Edge 530? It seems like it has a large feature set but thatā€™s only relevant if you use them. Iā€™m happy with my Bolt V1 having switched away from Garmin but Iā€™d switch back if there was a good reason. Bolt has been flawless and the V2 looks like a good upgrade.

3 Likes

Just took my first ride with the new Elemnt Bolt. The screen is amazing (my 51 yo eyes had no issue reading menus and directions compared to V1) and everything works as advertised. LEDs are completely visible in bright daylight. Was nice to have re-route functionality. Only ā€œissueā€ Iā€™m experiencing is thereā€™s a firmware update thatā€™s available and it wonā€™t update. I guess Wahoo servers are a little busy.

4 Likes

Has anyone else had an issue with the latest v1 update? I blame V2. I do have 98mb of memory left, but it gives me an installation failed message.

Iā€™d say the main ones are the climbpro feature which is brilliant but also fills you with dread on an unfamiliar course as you see the gradient of the hill ahead of you. Itā€™s also colour coded going green / orange / red and black depending on the severity with distance and height remaining.

The other advantage is that itā€™s better than even the new Bolt seems for navigation by giving clearer directions, especially when you have to do a few turns in a row like a staggered junction or roundabout then immediate turning.

The nutrition and drink advisor is a good reminder, especially on the very hot / cold days and Iā€™d imagine if I upgraded from my 745XT watch that the whole advice around recovery and training status would be more useful.

Ultimately, theyā€™re both great and if I was only cycling then Iā€™d go for the Bolt but as it is, the whole Connect integration and triathlon training means that Iā€™ll probably stick with the 530.

1 Like

Quite happy with my Bv1. I have no need for advanced routing, current implementation is sufficient for me.

However, since this is a ā€œtraining forumā€, what really annoys me is that you have to load strucutured workouts via Trainingspeaks. You canā€™t just load them through the app. There is a cumbersome hack but this is not user friendly. Or you canā€™t just set up a simple workout in the app. In this regard the Bolt is quite limited.

Has this improved with Bv2? I canā€™t find anything in the various introductory reviews.

1 Like

If I have an outdoor TR workout scheduled, it syncs to my Elemnt on its own, no phone needed. I only use my phone if i change the workout as Iā€™m about to head out and donā€™t want to wait, then Iā€™ll push it to the wahoo from the phone.

6 Likes

to add to what @Austin_Allegro already said: for me personally the reason I switched from the bolt v1 to the edge 530 were the better maps. another advantage in my book are the activity profiles. As many of you I have multiple bikes and like to have different data screens for each activity. IQ Connect Apps are nice too.

I think it depends on how you use a cycling computer. For me the Garmin is still better in many aspects and worth the hassle with Garmins softwareā€¦

on top of what has already been stated, Battery life on the 530 is far better. Wahoo claims 15ish hours. 530 IIRC claims 20. Iā€™ve personally recorded 32+ hrs without recharging(connected to HRM, PM, and Di2, GPS only, not navigating, Back light on solid for ~14 hrs of the 32.)

2 Likes

I really was hoping the bezel would be bigger.

3 Likes

If you have IQ fields you like or need, a Wahoo is a total non starter. Wahoo cannot run Wind Field, so adios. Nor can it do SmO2 and coretemp at the same time. Fringe user here, but there are so many good IQ fields.

1 Like

I couldnā€™t help myself, I just purchased the New Bolt v2. I have the Bolt v1 and I was strongly considering the Roam, so happy to see the updates on the Bolt.

3 Likes

The top row LEDs? If they are easily visible in daylight this might actually make me upgrade. I love using the LEDs for power with outside workouts for instant feedback as well as power when just riding, but sooo hard to see when it is bright outside.

2 Likes

One of the reasons I upgraded was the the overall increased visibility of the screen as well. According to the reviews it appears much better.

3 Likes