Wahoo Elemnt Bolt (V2 Color)

OK, yes… I see now. Totally in agreement there. Got my wires crossed on the version in question.

1 Like

Original ELEMNT Owner now a BOLT v2 owner!

Hopefully this unit provides as much joy (potentially more) as the original has! :+1:t2:

1 Like

When the Roam came out, @dcrainmaker and Shane both noted that the Retrace My Route and Take Me To features cannot be done on the Bolt V1 due to limitations of how it handles navigation. Ray goes in depth on it in the Roam review under the Navigation heading in the below article:

1 Like

Oh man, this is great timing

I suspect not, and it’s serious enough that Wahoo sent an engineer to Amsterdam according to the DCRainmaker post:

”Wahoo is frantically trying to figure it out, and perhaps they’ll have a solution this afternoon. Or, it might not be for two months. I just don’t know – and I don’t think they know either. Else, there wouldn’t be a Wahoo engineer parked outside the DCR cave right now off re-riding my yesterday ride with a just released developer test firmware that might solve at least one of my core issues.”

6 Likes

I wonder if it will read Favero Assioma data correctly…?

2 Likes

Solid buy for BOLT owners who didn’t upgrade to the ROAM. I won’t be selling my ROAM but the routing improvements on it vs my old BOLT are great, and I suspect this is going to kill off the ROAM in no-time as it offers basically the same features, more storage, more colors, for $100 less

Unless you really need the slightly larger screen and secondary LEDs the ROAM has I don’t see why anyone would choose a ROAM over the BOLT V2

2 Likes

Ha

3 Likes

At the risk of showing my lack of knowledge on GPS computers with actual routing, is this unit capable of navigating without a pre-determined or pre-loaded route. It seems that nav is always in reference to loading a route to follow. Is it possible to simply go for a ride, decide I want to go to point X or some POI, enter that and have a route calculated on the fly?

Edit: Apparently by not being lazy and looking things up on the Wahoo site, the answer is right there in plain sight, answer being yes it can.

2 years later, they finally have something almost competitive with the Garmin Edge 530.

4 Likes

Does the new v2 get turn-by-turn direction with Strava routes? One thing about the v1 is I need to build routes in RidewithGPS in order to get turn-by-turn notifications as the map works, but no turn notifications with Strava routes.

1 Like

Signal is also included if anyone else is using it.

2 Likes

I really really hope that they come out with an updated ROAM soon as well, would be nice with an even bigger screen, more and better colors, as well as all the other goodies that the new BOLT got.

3 Likes

Yes. Onboard routing, so turn-by-turn whatever the route source since the Bolt 2 is no longer reliant on the source (website) generating the turn-by-turn cues.

3 Likes

I’ve owned both and would never go back to the itty bitty bolt screen. In fact, I’m now on a 1030 and love the even bigger screen. I have “masters category” eyes and I want an iPad out front! :rofl:

6 Likes

Would like to get one as I’m realising that having both the Bolt and Edge 530 is probably a bit excessive though both have their advantages.

Might sell the Bolt now whilst I’ll still get decent money for it (c.£150) then keep hold of the Edge for summer.

I’m a bit of a tech nerd so have tried most of the recent lower to mid range computers and whilst out of all of them i prefer the Wahoo system, I do find their rerouting slightly annoying in that it won’t simply tell you to turn around and instead took me on a 2 mile circular detour to then take the right turning.

I think the ease of use, Strava TBT and a decent colour screen is what’s sold.it.for me, provided the software becomes stable.

Yup, I bought one straight away.

I love everything about my Bolt except for the lack of (real) navigation. It’s a major annoyance and frustration to have such a powerful GPS device on my bars and still get lost. It’s happened, especially at confusing junctions. Or even more to the point, if I’m out in a fun new area and want to explore a bit, I dislike not feeling confidence I can back to my start without digging out my phone and dealing with that. And because of the Boltv1’s mediocre routing, getting TBT directions onto it in the first place is more hassel than it should be.

The firmware problems are annoying, but I trust Wahoo to sort it, personally.

1 Like

I would tend to agree, but it’s funny, one of the biggest gripes about Garmin is how sometimes it feels as if the consumer is a product tester and now Wahoo launches a device that, by their own accord, isn’t up to snuf. LOL

4 Likes

What are the advantages of the Edge 530? It seems like it has a large feature set but that’s only relevant if you use them. I’m happy with my Bolt V1 having switched away from Garmin but I’d switch back if there was a good reason. Bolt has been flawless and the V2 looks like a good upgrade.

3 Likes

Just took my first ride with the new Elemnt Bolt. The screen is amazing (my 51 yo eyes had no issue reading menus and directions compared to V1) and everything works as advertised. LEDs are completely visible in bright daylight. Was nice to have re-route functionality. Only “issue” I’m experiencing is there’s a firmware update that’s available and it won’t update. I guess Wahoo servers are a little busy.

4 Likes