Vibration Plates Exercise Machines - real deal or scam?

I searched and didn’t see this discussed. I know it’s not cycling but could certainly come under cross training.

My wife was asking me about these things. My first thought was that they are an exercise fab or scam. But I googled and they do seem to have some benefit. I guess they cause your muscles to contract as they vibrate and you balance on it? I even found a couple studies showing some benefits.

More surprising was reading Amazon reviews. Normally, I think all Amazon reviews are fake but I found thousands of positive “verified purchaser” reviews for a specific model. As skeptical I am of online reviews, that seems hard to fake. Interestingly, a lot of the reviews were from people with things like fibromyalgia, lymphedema, PAD and these people claimed good benefits.

The “weight loss” benefit seemed like the weakest link. But if one went from zero to 20 minutes per day of vibration plate exercises they would probably lose weight just from the exercising.

So, I’m just wondering if anyone else here uses a vibration plate and whether you think it’s worth, say $400.

I did say to my wife: “What if we buy a jump rope?” :slight_smile: