Vibration Plates Exercise Machines - real deal or scam?

I searched and didn’t see this discussed. I know it’s not cycling but could certainly come under cross training.

My wife was asking me about these things. My first thought was that they are an exercise fad or scam. But I googled and they do seem to have some benefit. I guess they cause your muscles to contract as they vibrate and you balance on it? I even found a couple studies showing some benefits.

More surprising was reading Amazon reviews. Normally, I think all Amazon reviews are fake but I found thousands of positive “verified purchaser” reviews for a specific model. As skeptical I am of online reviews, that seems hard to fake. Interestingly, a lot of the reviews were from people with things like fibromyalgia, lymphedema, PAD and these people claimed good benefits.

The “weight loss” benefit seemed like the weakest link. But if one went from zero to 20 minutes per day of vibration plate exercises they would probably lose weight just from the exercising.

So, I’m just wondering if anyone else here uses a vibration plate and whether you think it’s worth, say $400.

I did say to my wife: “What if we buy a jump rope?” :slight_smile:

https://www.amazon.com/LifePro-Rumblex-Vibration-Exercise-Machine/dp/B07QJ2K219/

Bummed to see this didn’t get any replies. I was also searching for this as a Co-worker claimed he had been instructed to spend 10 minutes per day on one as he was recovering from a hip flexor strain. I also was considering getting one if it helps with recovery and ailments. This was a new product to me, I didn’t even know existed. Anyone with experience?

Thanks!

Wow a two year revival on a post that went nowhere!

I listen to the Fasttalk podcast. I was surprised that this subject came up recently and that Ronnestad was studying these things. Evidently these things do have some benefit. It’s interesting that Ronnestad studied doing intervals on a bike while on a vibration plate.

In that study, the benefit to cyclists is related to increasing time at high % vo2max:

In other words, doing intervals outside on crappy roads is better than doing them on a trainer :metal:

1 Like

I used one at a trade show a couple years ago. It felt interesting; I didn’t find it especially challenging but I have reasonably good balance (also, I was only on it for a few minutes). It was easier than bongo or wobble boards.

My impression was it was novel but I wasn’t about to buy one.

After recovering from rotator cuff surgery, I’m a big fan of exercises that promote better and more efficient basic movement patterns. That doesn’t involve heavy weights or difficult exercises.

My latest example is from Conor Harris:

Scroll to the bottom for a free PDF with 5 drills for healthy hip mobility.

There are other really good programs out there that focus on fundamentals without any gimmicks.

Time to get some 20mm, 120psi interval tires!

1 Like

My local Planet Fitness has/had a device like this that was part of their “red light therapy” booths. They talked it up to their members under the guise of a “recovery” aid. To be honest, when I was a member there, I did use the booths a handful of times on those really hard strength days and it did seem to loosen up those sore, tired muscles.

Not sure if that was a result of the board, the red light, a combination of both OR simply a placebo effect, but I did feel a bit of improvement on days I DID use it. That’s not to say i’d pay $350 for my own personal one… :wink:

I dunno, probably a placebo effect if anything, but they feel nice to stand on. I certainly wouldn’t spend my own money on one.

For some reason this made me think of this product from years ago that apparently still exists

https://bodyblade.com/

so it’s a less compact shakeweight

1 Like

Also less fun for late night jokes compared to the shake weight

I used one of those in a PT office a number of times for a frozen shoulder following a crash. I remember it being surprisingly difficult to hold onto. Moreso than the vibrating plate was to stand on, in any case.

It seems to be more than placebo:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/362473317_Adding_Vibration_During_Varied-Intensity_Work_Intervals_Increases_Time_Spent_Near_Maximal_Oxygen_Uptake_in_Well-Trained_Cyclists

Who has the Cliffnotes for this??? :rofl:

Funny, Connor is actually on my YouTube algorithm and I usually watch his video’s. I have downloaded the PDF now.

Thanks!

When I was listening to that podcast I was wondering if that was part of the reason that people who have power data in cross races say it’ surprisingly unimpressive considering HR and RPE are pegged.