New Rockr Plate - Gymrail Momentum X1 - InsideRide E-Flex Competitor

@dcrainmaker review - Gymrail Momentum X1 Smart Trainer Movement System In-Depth Review

2 Likes

I am trying to get time to consolidate my thoughts on this unit. Ray’s review builds on what I have covered in the couple of discussions we’ve had in the FB RP Group. I know not everyone likes or uses FP, so I’ll try to pool my thoughts here when I have more time.

It’s a very interesting unit that I appreciate for pushing the ideas here, but I think it falls short in a number of areas as well.

This is the apparent rep who has shared the Gymrail with our group. You can review all his posts within the group and our comments on those posts:

1 Like

Not on Facebook, so those links don’t help :rofl:

The movement patterns - the back end flapping around - doesn’t sound like any bike I’ve ridden, unless it is wet / muddy out. So it doesn’t sound like it will come anywhere close to mimicking real world riding.

Necro bump to share that Gymrail is now apparently available in the US:

$1100 or so (via “USAMX1” code) which places it up with the most expensive options out there. I am still skeptical about the need / benefit to their other motion directions, but would still try one if I had the chance.

This just feels like a hard no. I can’t figure out the target motion, especially since the motion seems soooooo “made up” - that is, nowhere near how bikes actually move.

1 Like

Yeah, there is some connection when we look at more active standing action. The front & rear wheel outside trace different ‘S’ curves so there is some potential merit to the sway and yaw action this allows. But I think their implementation is not ideal even if those motions are a good thing.

We’ve seen several wild action videos with far more wiggle & waste than I’d care to ever have inside. Reps claim that can be toned down with proper spring selection & setup, but there in lies some of the issue.

I struggle enough with getting people to dial in the leveling spring forces despite knowing pretty much what is possible and appropriate for different riders and preferences. But we still see plenty of people complain about how a rocker rides because they have not bothered to set it up well. This just adds to that complexity and is even more likely to leave people with a bad taste in their mouth.

Noting that, I do hope that anyone willing to fork over $1k for this would RTFM and set it up well… but who knows :stuck_out_tongue:

And even if we disregard the motion considerations, I still struggle to understand their implementation of the design. Each half looks like it was designed & built by two different people with different tools at hand. The front is advanced design & materials from a proper factory while the rear looks like something that came out of my garage. And the fact that the rear relies on the users flat floor while the front is self-contained is equally baffling. I can’t understand why they take to clearly different approaches for parts of the same product.

Needless to say I won’t buy anytime soon, but I wish them luck and would love to hear from anyone who snags one (US or elsewhere).

1 Like

I don’t care how it moves at that price point…hard pass.

1 Like