Upload Run and Swim workouts from Garmin/Strava to TR calendar (Feature Request)

There will be sycophants on here that will think that update is wonderful, but without context that update really is an art of saying nothing.

Is the hope it will be before year end? Q1 next year?

As I said, context is needed.

1 Like

SYCHOPHANTS?!?! Haha, unfortunately, no degree of enthusiasm about this update will make us more inclined to provide more context in the form of timelines. This is something we donā€™t provide, even on a ā€˜quarterlyā€™ or annual scale, and is ultimately done so in order to not disappoint our athletes while timelines change.
That can, and does, happen for a number of reasons; integration can reveal further bugs and issues that take longer than anticipated to resolve, higher priority issues may become present unrelated to the feature that redirects developer energy elsewhere, or even the framework and fundamentals of the feature can be more time consuming than originally anticipated even without bugs or issues that arise. From there, there are closed testing phases, where we gather more feedback and experiences to make even more changes and updates before releasing to even just open beta testing phase, so the whole process is really difficult to speak to confidently. :+1:

7 Likes

The cynic in me says itā€™s moved up from prio ā€œvery lowā€ to ā€œlowā€ :wink:. But as Iā€™m devastated Iā€™ll take everything as positive :sob::joy:.

Context could also be sth as

• dedicated dev working on it (x days/week) or
  • weā€™re preferring quick release of MVP over more sophisticated solution
  • working on it will not start before feature x
  • ā€¦
3 Likes

:confused:

2 Likes

MVP for MVP!

Build from something basic and iterate.
I guess people donā€™t like having to toggle between different services to get an overview of what theyā€™re doing, they want ideally one source of truth that has most of whatā€™s needed

Kinda like grocery stores, maybe you have a favorite x item at store A and a favorite y item at store B but because store A has both items, you will be more likely to go there as itā€™s a one stop shop and itā€™s more convenient.
I know itā€™s not easy when it doesnā€™t fit the vision you had for your Product, but if you can make a low effort change that creates a medium high impact for a certain user base, it might be worth it. As mentioned, itā€™s already ā€œthere in the backgroundā€ and it would at least give du-triathletes something while we wait for the ā€œfull productā€ to be developed, tested and released.

6 Likes

Not providing timeline or expectations isnā€™t a Dev or Agile issue, itā€™s a comms issue.

If you get the messaging right from the outset, you can have those conversations with customers and you can be truthful about challenges that are faced through the life cycle - TR have the perfect platforms to deliver those messages (podcast, this forum, blogs).

It tends to be organisation that dont trust their comms process so they hide behind Dev challenges so as not to be transparent.

4 Likes

+1. I like to import Run/Swim workouts as well as add Running Races into the Calendar.

10 Likes

Running races used to be something you could put in, then was removed which was a shame

3 Likes

Every time someone finds/resurrects this thread I get excited for progress. Then I just realize nothing has been done and itā€™s another user that wants the same thing as us.

19 Likes

Yes agree me and husband would love to see swim and .run on trainer road.

6 Likes

Just thought Iā€™d remind people inpatient about new AT featuresā€¦this thread started in Oct 2018ā€¦ :sob::sob::sob:

7 Likes

This podcast excerpt from Nate and Jon reiterates our messaging about how the timeline of feature requests work, its definitely worth a listen. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Hi @Nate_Pearson
Really appreciated the transparency about the coming features on the latest podcast.

I was one of the 10% who voted for not having you speaking about it and you proved me wrong. I truly enjoyed it.
My reason for not wanting it has everything to do with this thread.

On the latest podcast, both Jonathan and you emphasized that Trainerroad is about making cyclists faster
I didnā€™t hear anything related to triathlon at all in the coming features (please correct me if Iā€™m wrong, I was doing a vo2 max session while listening to it :slight_smile: )

As a triathlete, I was (and I guess Iā€™m not the only one based on the number of comments in this thread) really excited about what might come in TR for triathletes. Donā€™t get me wrong, I always knew cycling was the priority.
This excitement has to do with this thread and also the TR team planning to do a triathlon. It was mentioned a couple of times, but not recently anymore.

Should we all understand that there are no upcoming features for the triathletes in the coming months as the current cycling projects take all the manpower?

It would be awesome to have a clear statement about it (or was the podcast already one?), and close this thread so it doesnā€™t generate false hopes every time we see an answer to it. We can then all move on and appreciate the cool cycling features which will come and the triathlon plans as they are currently.

7 Likes

Agreed. Iā€™ve basically given up hope despite @Nate_Pearson comments a year or so ago that made it sound like at least basic functionality was on its way. The recent comments from Ivy said literally nothing.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s my understanding, itā€™s not coming soon. I really wish I was wrong, but triathlon is not a priority for TrainerRoad. Thatā€™s my take from their comments and their actions (i.e., roll out of features).

2 Likes

Hi,

Echoing the points made above. As a triathlete not having swimming or running uploaded into calendar and taken into account in the ML models really diminishes the benefits triathletes get from all these new (VERY) impressive features. This is why I was a TR user (avid) and now I am not. It is a key blocker for me coming back.

From my recollection running uploads were contingent on outside workouts being sorted? - i think thatā€™s right? I can see the parallels in those two features at least

But coming back to @Nate_Pearson talking about MVP/MDP - the bar here is SO low. So I think weā€™d be quite delighted if we had any functionality here.

Running is really an untapped area, the metrics that people measure running by are so basic, Iā€™m
sure the innovative brains at TR could revolutionise this.

I know running and swimming are very complicated. As I think I have mentioned previously in this thread but even getting the basics down would be a great step

6 Likes

Iā€™d love to see the TR analysis of the run data too. The running world seems totally set on volume and pace, seemingly in the face of all research to the contrary. Apparently they are getting data from Garmin syncs but not processing it.

Not sure that @Nate_Pearson will read those posts as the thread about pricing is blowing up.

I rewatched a part of the podcast, but this time looking at the live chat. Someone asked about the progress of swim/bike upload. Here was his answer;

ā€œWe have this coming in the background but it is not displayed yet. Weā€™re prioritizing what I just said over finishing the work to display those thingsā€

He continues with:
ā€œBut if we had more teams, weā€™d like to have a triathlon feature teamā€

For me, thatā€™s new info, I thought the basic upload feature would have happened after AT was done, now it looks like it is pushed down way further down the lineā€¦

@JoeX you mentioned earlier in this thread Triq, do you like it?

3 Likes

Itā€™s a very different mindset. I signed confidentiality though so wonā€™t go into details.

Probably a better approach, but I couldnā€™t get it to give me more than 4hrs training per week so I pulled the plug last week.

1 Like

Good detective work!!

@Nate_Pearson if you want a product manager for triathlon feature team hit me up! Your first U.K. based feature team :wink:

1 Like