Unbound Gravel 2020 deferral options

Just got an email yesterday from LifeTime/Unbound Gravel. I deferred my 2020 entry to 2021 earlier this year (turns out everyone got deferred). Anyway, I was surprised but also pleased that there is an option to defer my 2021 entry until 2022.

I haven’t decided yet what I’m going to do. But curious what others are thinking. LifeTime plans to require masks/face covers at the start, feed stops, when riding in large groups. And I’m guessing the finish line will be quite different.

Having done the race before, I know after about the first hour or so, I was riding in small groups or solo.

Just trying to decide how much different the experience will be.

Any thoughts?

After giving it some thought, my wife and I will be deferring our 2020->2021 entry to 2022. Just too many unknowns remain at this point and, additionally, we are afraid the experience would not be the same as those we’ve become accustomed to in Emporia. We are going to play it safe®, and look for some summer of '21 events here in Canada.

I’m leaning toward doing the same. The main reason I was thinking about keeping 2021 is I will likely have the most consistent training for the 6-12 months leading up to it. But I don’t think that outweighs the negatives.

And the best thing out the race is the amazing crowd at the end and riding down the chute with all those people. Makes the pain and suffering worth it. And I don’t think that will be the same this year.

@nate What are you doing? and how safe have you felt at the races you’ve done. Realizing that they probably didn’t have 2000 people