UK Lockdown #2: time for reverse periodisation?

Oh yes, sorry - as a former resident (if not native) of Wales, I should have known better!

1 Like

Watch it - another slip like that and they might not let you back in! :rofl:

1 Like

Back to the OP, lockdown for me means more time for training and more time for recovery. I lost my job in the last lockdown anyway, so time is less of an issue for me now already, but this will no doubt mean even more time indoors… I’ll venture out for some miles on better days but like some said, drivers here got totally out of control last time and we also had a backlash against cyclists outdoors.

Therefore my logic is the opposite - I’ll do high volume SST & tempo work and just continue to work ‘base’, and work up some longer intervals and sessions. I really dont think you can have too much ‘base’ and doing intensity now seems a little pointless given your fear of next year’s goal events evaporating. I’m not convinced ‘reversing’ the periodisation creates as long term benefits as intensity later on top of a bigger ‘base’.

Good luck whatever you go for!

3 Likes

Trainer away for repair means I’m back to either outside rides or the old rollers.

Since I have a power meter on the bike and using the rollers I can kick out around 200W but getting more is spinning too much.

Anyone know how to increase resistance on plastic drummed rollers? :thinking:. I’ve heard of a towel method but that it can warp the rollers.

I realise I’m going to miss top end for a bit but I’m only training to do some new long rides next year - the Reivers way off road and the Way of The Roses (again) to name two and the club rides if they ever take off again…
:thinking:

using a fatter rear tyre if you have one? a big commuter tyre to add resistance. and run low pressure

1 Like

Though low PSI is the easiest way to add resistance.

I was going to say use mtb tyres, and was only half joking!

I’m thinking on moving from SSB MV to SSB HV as the workouts are lower in intensity and therefore I gamble on having a wider base by doing so.

As noted above, just lower your psi substantially and your resistance will go up a fair amount.

Thanks for the suggestions ill give those a go. Managed another workout on them earlier.

I’ll swap the tyres out or try the lower psi. Don’t want to wreck my best tyres and have some serious winter/commuter tyres kicking around somewhere.

Maybe we should do UK sanity group workouts… :joy: :+1:t2:

1 Like

I would definitely opt for lower PISI before using winter / commuter tires (if they have any tread at all). Nothing more annoying than the buzz of a tread pattern on a roller drum or wheel-on trainer.

Funnily enough I was thinking the same. The tubeless ones I am using are making a thumping noise so I think I have a sealant tyre boggie to take out - tomorrow’s job. :joy:

I’d say grit your teeth and stick with it. It is a great time to get some long miles in. The roads will be much quieter . Don’t worry about it till it happens (re mechanical), Sort your bike out take plenty of spares and use tyres that you can get on and off easily. I’m speaking from experience here, having punctured on a freezing day , new tyres, and cold hands meant I was stuck 20 miles from home. Also if you’ve got spare time you can do TR sessions if its wet and just ride out when dry.

3 Likes

I would recommend taking co2 in winter. I punctured in a storm at the start of the year. Could barely get the tyre onto the rim hands were so cold. But co2 saved me from standing around any longer. Survived to tell the tale :laughing:

1 Like

This. A tubeless setup, tyre worms + a tool, plus a CO2 canister will get you home after all but the worst puncture (i.e. massive sidewall tear). Yes, you’ll need to sort out sealant etc when you get home, but you can do that in the comfort of your own home in the warm.

I do also tend to do fairly circular loops if I know there’s no cavalry available to call in.

Actually, come to think of it, I’ve had to do that twice this year (as often as the 3 years before combined); once with a chain drop that got completely stuck, and I knew I’d badly damage the paint if I pulled/forced it out rather than removing the cranks, and once with a stem that worked loose after I adjusted spacers the night before (and left my multitool on the workbench table :man_facepalming:).

Aye - also 3 tyre levers: 2 to use and 1 as a spare as they often snap. CO2 in winter, anything which minimises time by the side of the road is worth its weight in gold.

It’s a distance restriction here. In fairness, Cycling Ireland hasn’t joined other organisations looking for exemptions, which I’m quite pleased about. The arguments about cycling apply to many sports and activities, and the point of our restrictions is to limit movements. A cyclist maybe no harm, as a hill walker maybe no harm, just as a gun club member maybe no harm, but then it all multiplies up. If they gave every apparently “safe” activity an exemption, there’d be no point of the restrictions in the first place. Anyway, that’s just my view, everyone is responsible for their own actions.

Saturday looking like an alright day in the scheme of things. I have a route planned, but I’m probably less enthused by loops than the turbo to be honest. It’s the social aspect of the group spin I miss.

Also, the previous lockdown, the people driving cars turned into absolute nutters, despite more pedestrians and cyclists (largely families) exercising within their distance restrictions. That’s playing on my mind more than the thoughts of a crash regarding going into A&E.

2 Likes

I totally understand that argument, and I’m honestly not looking for a dispute, but I’m not sure it’s logical; it’s the old slippery slope fallacy. That argument seems to assume that, if allowed, the numbers of cyclists on the road will increase vastly from where it stands now, and/or that they will congregate in groups. I’m not sure that’s true (at all).

If it is individuals/households, I’m not sure how a distance restriction reduces risk, given that there is no additional mixing, and they are in the open air, away from people. Ok, there is the possible argument that longer rides are more likely to result in accidents, though I think that is also flawed and based on misused statistics.

Anyway, as you note, to each their own, and I’d reiterate I’m not looking to argue.

Actually, though I did notice the odd Lewis Hamilton wannabe last lockdown, the roads were generally quieter than I can remember them being for 20 years, and that at least was a pleasure. How many more people would cycle if the amount of traffic was down by 50-60% (as was the rough figure given last time)?

It sounds like you might have a plan, but what is its objective, your goal, event date, duration, etc? Do you have an indoor trainer, Smart or not?

The considerations about exercise and distance are complex and multi-factorial. We can control to an extent our own actions, but not the actions of others.

I applied some very basic risk/benefit analysis to long rides during the previous lockdown, and I could not justify the potential risks.

Again, not wanting to stir up a hornets nest, do we want to be part of the problem or part of the solution?

1 Like