I’m just about to stick a fork in 2020. Looking forward to 2021. However, it seems like the American race calender is and will be up in the air again. I have a couple of target events that I don’t know will happen, but I’m putting them on the calendar anyway as markers.
- What worked well for me in 2020 was devoting more time to training my aerobic engine. I incorporated many more Z2 (or Z1 Seiler) rides into my training schedule which I think paid dividends. These came in the way of 2-4 hour endurance rides.
- I also invested around 8 weeks to work on VO2 max. Something I never really did, and while it was painful, I do believe it helped raise the roof.
- With regards to Sweet Spot, I focused on pushing out interval length vs focusing on more power. This had me go from 3x20 all the way out to 2x50 and 1x90.
- Had fun chasing Strava segments and bagging a couple KOMs
- Neglected strength training. A late start to the season (due to surgery in Feb) affect my ability to plan strength training into my annual training plan
- Potential over-training. While the VO2 max block I described above seemed to help a lot, I think I may have attempted to continue chasing marginal gains by doing more VO2 work this August/September and it lead to some slight over-training.
- Didn’t work on any CX-related skills
I will also be employing some different approaches to training that I felt worked well for me this year. Also, committing to off-the-bike strength/resistance training this autumn.
- What worked well for you in 2020?
- What if anything, will you do differently in 2021?