Turns out I have Chickenpox...Yay? How should I proceed?

So I posted a little bit ago about getting a rash and needing to go onto medication short term:

After doing some more dr visits with things not improving, it turns out I have chickenpox. For reference I’m 36…so that’s fun. That would explain why last week’s rides were so hard even though it was a recovery week. Thankfully it’s been a week since I got them som I’m on the mend, but I still feel achy and tired. This was supposed to be the first week of my base block (as referenced in the link). Anyone have any advice on how I should proceed with training (how/when/if/where etc)? I don’t know how chickenpox actually affects health in general as it relates to training, so any advice on that would be superb. Thanks friends :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh man, gum surgery and now chicken pox! Don’t scratch, it will scar (I had it as a child so no advice about training). I hope you feel better soon.

2 Likes

Lol, yeah, it’s been…a couple of months. 350 FTP what now? Nothing like spending every moment taking two steps (pedals?) back for every one forward. Thanks for the advice-I haven’t been scratching any of them (though some did burst when I was riding last week and it rubbed on my jersey…). I appreciate your concern! Cheers.

Well that truly sucks. I can remember having this wrenched disease as a little kid and can’t image what it would be like as an adult. Not fun I’m sure. And as a bonus I’m guessing you will now be susceptible to developing shingles as you age since it caused by the same virus as chickenpox. Put a note on you “way in the future” calendar to get the Shingrix vaccine when you reach 50.

1 Like

Can’t help with chicken pox related advice, but I will say don’t stress about a decline in fitness. It’ll come back!! Hope you’re feeling better asap.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help all. I guess it’s a good time to get them. I just finished my beginning of season VO2 block and was ready to hit base. But still, better than peak race season. I guess it’s a good excuse to lay about eating Christmas cookies :wink:
The annoying (funny?) thing is, this is the second time I’ve had the pox. The first time I was a wee lad. The doctor said it is incredibly rare, but possible to get them a second time. But that’s just me and my luck.
If I were to compare luck in general to a single pull of a Vegas slot machine, some people are the type to get 777 and have perfect luck. Others get 77 and a cherry-they’re lucky but just not quite ‘everything goes their way’ luck. Others get there cherries-they’re lucky, but the results are usually small (they find their missing keys quickly). Others still get three random shapes. They don’t get lucky, but they don’t lose out on anything. My luck…I’d be the type to pull the slot once and the handle would snap off, the machine would tip over, falling on me, pinning me beneath it as it spontaneously burst into flames.

2 Likes