Transition between Kickr Snap & Kickr Core

I recently purchased a Kickr Core, and have been riding the past 3 years on the Snap. On both I used the Assioma Favero Duo as a power source.

I’m having some trouble doing intervals, as they are much more fatiguing and this at a lower power output. Earlier this week on the Snap, I was doing 12 minute threshold intervals without many problems, but today i had some trouble sustaining 8 minute sweetspot intervals. While this may be due to a bad day, I suspect it’s more a matter of a change in position.

The wheel on the roller of the Snap is put +/- 5 cm higher than the flywheel on the Core, which causes the bike to make an incline on the Core. I feel like my sit bones are further back on my saddle than they were on the Snap, resulting in a different position altogether and the use of different muscles.

I was thinking about putting some blocks underneath the Core to put it on the same level at the back than the Snap. I don’t know if there are already some theories about this? :slight_smile:

Maybe a retest is in order?

Also, kickr core height matches the regular height of a road bike. I think you’d be better off adjusting your saddle incline and fit.

1 Like

One thing you can check is that the resistance levels are the same on both trainers.

1 Like

Can you explain what you mean by this? I just switched from Snap to Kickr and the latter pushes my HR about 10bpm higher at the same wattage. I thought with the new one setup was just plug it in, calibrate, and go.

Did you retest your FTP?

That is necessary anytime you switch to new power data device. There is no guarantee that they measure the same, sad as that is for all of us. So retest ASAP and use the new FTP as your foundation for future training.

Additionally, there is likely enough difference in the flywheel inertia to lead to a different feel at the least, and might even impact training. Even more likely depending on gearing used if it’s different from hen to now.

You can create seasons to capture the times in line with your device changes too. Helpful if you end up with larger differences between device/FTP.

1 Like

The snap is +/-3%, the core is +/-2%, so I believe it’s possible that in the most extreme scenario the snap could overestimate by 3%, and the core underestimate by 2%. That alone is like asking for a 5% FTP bump.

I agree with @mcneese.chad, ramp test for the new trainer.

A year back, I ran my 4iiii power meter in parallel with my wahoo kickr core and the 4iiii was 3% higher overall.

1 Like

It is “plug-and-ride” but you can change settings. The KICKR might have a resistance slightly higher than the setting on the SNAP. In the end, just retest your FTP on KICKR. Accept your new ftp. Cardio will follow. Very difficult to compare trainers, even the same trainer in different environments.

2 Likes