Training Without a Power Meter, Low Heart Rate, Effective Sweet Spot Training and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 284

I must admit that I was really surprised that no one mentioned Virtual Power. I have been training for years and I still can’t afford a power meter, but the main attraction of TrainerRoad, when I signed up 7 years ago, was that they could come up with a calculation for my power.

I know that TR has a lot health data. I would kinda be interested in knowing the income distribution because I still ride the same bike that I had 10 years ago because that’s all I can afford. It’s interesting to speculate about how many people use Virtual Power, how many use power meters, and which type, and also which trainer?

I can’t remember the name of the questioner but I think someone should let them know about Virtual Power.

1 Like

I listen to the Cycling Podcast and they had an episode called Service Course where they investigate the technology and this time they were looking at 3D printing handlebars and frames.

Anyway they spoke to the boss of https://hexr.com/ who has developed a system for 3D printing helmets so they were customised to each individual’s head. I think they either scan your head in the studio or they send you a skull cap to wear and you take photos of your head yourself and they work it out from there.

Just sounded like another option for anyone interested . I don’t have any crash data or any affiliation to them.

Great episode - thanks guys. Enjoyed that one and I really enjoy Chad’s science based comments etc.

2 Likes

Definitely interesting. I’ve been training with power since June but my power meter pedals are currently out for a warranty replacement so I have power indoors on my smart trainer but no power outdoors. Trying to do structured workouts based on RPE is, indeed, easier knowing what various power levels feel like, but I also did it successfully before I had the power meter.

400WATTSCLUB would like to extend that friendly bet with @Nate_Pearson and Keegan Swenson to see who can do 400 watts for 30 min by spring 2021 (plus an extra month) April 20.
Will give $100 to whoever can get it first!

This is be the perfect pre season prep motivations right? :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I agree. I started out using Virtual Power. It took me a while to get it dialed in, but eventually I got it figured out and used it long enough to get hooked on TR.

Last spring I did find a good deal on a used power meter so I pulled the trigger on that spend, but I’m still using my 2nd hand Cycle-Ops wheel-on mag trainer and it handles just about everything I throw at it, other than sprint bursts, just fine.

1 Like

My drinking phrase for @Nate_Pearson is Cape Epic for now. It has taken me a week to finish listening to this podcast

3 Likes

So this is really important and I want to make sure I’ve got this straight. The drinking phrases are:

Jonathan: Keegan Swenson
Nate: Sea level (and Cape Epic)
Chad: VO2 Max

But what about Amber’s? Did I miss it? Or is not settled yet?

2 Likes

To round this out, should there be a variety of drinks at your disposal, one for each host?
My proposal:
Jonathan: Topo Chico
Nate: Wine
Chad: A beer that’s at least 8%ABV
Amber: A beer that’s less than 8% ABV

Amber’s is the only one that I don’t really have a reason for suggesting, just pretty sure I remember her guffawing at some of Chad’s strong beer choices.

1 Like

Amber should be “cognitive load”

5 Likes

Hah!!! I absolutely agree and was going to suggest that, but thought I’d hold back to see what the hive mind had to say. Bingo!

@Nate_Pearson
Thank you for your discussion on helmets. I was familiar with the Virginia Tech helmet site. It is a great resource for helmets in several different sports. The cycling helmet specific site can be found here.

You also commented on being interested to know how they did their research. I was also interested and researched their site further to find detail on how they performed their study. They have posted their “Development of the STAR Evaluation System for Assessing Bicycle Helmet Protective Performance” in the peer-reviewed Annals of Biomedical Engineering.

2 Likes

I think it was this episode that @Nate_Pearson reluctantly said that new, faster bikes really won’t make you that much faster when compared to training and especially in a dollar/watt ratio comparison. This is true, but another variable to this equation is time. Time is as valuable, or more, than money. So for someone who doesn’t have the time, buying a $15k bike, best wheels and best tyres etc might be much easier for them than trying to find 10 hours/week to train. Of course, that approach has a ceiling, but a good option to take for some who have disposable income, but limited time.

1 Like

The STEM acronym confused the heck out of me until it was explained. I was thinking Stem Cell :laughing:

2 Likes

Where is the photo of Nate’s injury?

Sorry for the gore.

2 Likes

Ok, yeah that’s yukky. Hope you will get back on the MTB though, when you are properly healed

Behind on podcast watching.

Was I the only one who noticed that Chad is a lumberjack in this episode. (But he’s okay.)

^^^^^^^^^^^
1 Like