Training outdoors w/ Power Meter & TR App?

I tried searching the forums and couldn’t find this direct question answered.

I see lots of folks syncing TR workouts to their head units and using that as their guidance for the outdoor workout.

Can you just run the workout on your TR App and pair your phone to your Sensors?

Below is a link to TR information for outside workouts. Maybe you can glean something from it.

I appreciate the link. Reading through it, I only saw the ability to sync to Garmin or Wahoo head units. I have a Garmin Fenix 5 Plus, which may work, but I am not sure.

I wanted to see if I can just use my phone, the TR App and a quad-lock as a head unit, to save a few hundred bucks instead of buying a head unit.

**I have verified it does work with Garmin Fenix 5 Plus, which is great as I won’t have to buy a head unit… although it would be nice to use the app if possible. A big screen that showed the entire workout(ie. upcoming intervals, and how many left) would be very nice. The watch leaves you wondering how many more intervals are left.

1 Like

Yes, you can use your phone directly.

Okay cool, thank you.
Maybe they just assume people would know that, but I just wanted to be sure.
I have a vacation scheduled the end of this month and wanted to make sure I had everything I needed for TR outdoor rides as I will be bringing my bike.

Folks were hesitant to use their phones previously due to lack of water resistance, battery life, and bulkiness.

The first two have largely been addressed with the new crop of smart phones, e.g. iPhone X and later.

Some people still don’t like the idea of potentially damaging their phones and not being able to dial 911, although I don’t find a jersey pocket to be all that much safer.

OP. Glad you got your answer.