Trainer error leave it or delete ride

Hi, I just completed a workout and it seems my bike was over reading the power quite a bit. Should I just leave it or should I delete it

As the saying goes, “Garbage In / Garbage Out”.

If you know the data is suspect or outright bad, I’d nuke it.

contact support to see if they can see why

It’s a smart bike issue had a few errors with the crank meters. And tonight my heart rate was about 20bpm less than I’d have expected. Unless completely my first phase or training has made that good a progress :joy:

@Daninplymouth
Okay I’m hearing two questions here:
1. Should you delete the workout?
2. What caused the power to be off?

For 1., you don’t need to delete the workout unless you feel it doesn’t accurately represent your work.

You can remove the ride from PRs and/or TSS if you don’t want to fully delete it from the ride view. From the web, you’ll select the ellipsis (…), then “Edit Ride” to exclude from PRs and TSS/
The process is the same on the app, but you’ll select the pencil icon to get there instead.

For 2. Can you provide some more details about your experience that led you to believe the power was reading incorrectly?
Was the ERG control not making enough resistance? Or just the full scope of the workout wasn’t difficult enough?

There are some best practices recommended by Stages for doing a workout on the bike to go through that may help:

• Connect to the StagesBike as the only data source
  • Do not pair to the power meters, left or right. The power is still coming from the power meters, but you’ll want to pair exclusively to the bike itself.

Finally, go ahead and perform a calibration in the StagesLink app, and check for a Stages Firmware update for your next workout to see if that addresses what you’re describing.

Maybe you are just way more fit after your rest week?!?! :laughing:
Heart Rate data does not impact your Progression Levels or potential adaptations, for the record.

1 Like

My right crank slightly out of spec but I have had a few other issues so waiting on an engineer from stages to arrive. I was getting resistance however i was putting out around 10%more power for a 10% lower HR even ramped up the workout at the end by 15% and was sitting at 330-360watts where my heart rate was sitting where it would at around 250watts

@IvyAudrain If I’d have some faulty workout with wrong power data in TR, would that action also move the workout from all AT / ML consideration and also disregard my survey response?
Just hypothetically speaking…or should I delete the workout in that case?

@Rizzi There isn’t currently a feature for ‘removing’ singular workouts from Adaptive Training’s logic, although that is an existing feature request we have discussed internally.
Edit: :point_up: this feature is on the roadmap!

Addressing isolated instances of power issues within Adaptive Training can be done with post-workout surveys. I’ll explain why this advice is relevant just for singular occurrences below, but for recurring issues, you’ll want to check in with myself, Sarah, or the TrainerRoad support team to get squared away long-term.

So for isolated instances when your power meter is misreading, I understand that you won’t always have time to reach out to support, check for firmware updates, and run through troubleshooting, so adjusting your intensity to make the effort feel more in-line with what’s assigned is a great temporary solution.

Adjusting intensity may elicit a ‘struggle’ survey, so it’s important that you say ‘I didn’t struggle’ or that you had equipment issues. This way. Adaptive Training won’t adjust you incorrectly, and you will get credit for the work you did complete!

Please don’t hesitate if you have further questions, or check in via DM if you need a hand with a recurring instance of inaccurate power readings. If so, we’ll want to get you squared away!

If you know that the wo power was exactly 10% below where it should be you could try exporting/downloading the fit file, processing it -10% in FIT File Tools, marking the original as an unplanned ride and deleting it, and then up loading the processed file.