Trainer control/Power source

Hi. I am a new TR user and from l can see until now you cannot manage Trainer control and Power source independently with the TR workout app. I’d like to do sometimes a TR workout feeling the terrain in a zwift course as if l were outside. Apparently TR cannot just read power while another app has the trainer control. Am l right?

1 Like

I think you could just leave the control to Zwift, and use TR without a power source. Then later import the Zwift ride into TR, and pair it back to the workout. I haven’t tried this, but think it would work.

Or, do you only have the trainer for power data, or also a powermeter? If you had a powermeter, you could pair that to TR, and leave the trainer control to Zwift. But it sounds like you don’t have one?

1 Like

I am also in Xert and in their app it’s possible to enable/disable independently power source and trainer control. So l can use BLT for the workout app and Ant+ for zwift. I am very impressed of what I have seen until now in TR but having the possibility of disabling/enabling trainer control while still reading power would be awesome.

If you aren’t following the TrainerRoad workout structure for that ride, it probably makes more sense to third party sync or manually upload that ride to TrainerRoad afterwards to appropriately get credit for that ride in your Progression Levels.

1 Like

I occasionally do that but with RGT. The easiest way is to set the WO to an outside one and like @IvyAudrain says manually upload or have it sync to TR and match it.

The other way I do it needs a power meter though.

2 Likes

Yes, l see there are many workarounds but wouldn’t it be just simpler to have the possibility of disabling Trainer Control in the TR workout player? That way you could also do a structured workout inside with TR trainer control and extending your ride in a zwift course giving trainer control to zwift

It would be useful to do a structured warmup controlled by TR and include in the same ride a zwift race just swapping trainer control from TR to swift.

I hope developers implement that option soon. I guess it wouldn’t be difficult as most other training apps have it.

1 Like

For years I have paired my Kickr to TR and just let Zwift see power. Usually in erg mode. I’d like to reverse things. I’d like to follow my TR plan but let Zwift control my Kickr to engage the Kickr Climb device.

If there is a way to just let TR see power for compliance, but let Zwift control my Kickr I’m all ears.

I’m assuming a second power metre (Stages for example) would solve this? Let TR see Stages and let Zwift have control of Kickr in sim mode?

Am I thinking correctly?

• Yes, this is really the only way to do the order you mention. With just a trainer, TR does not offer a “non-controlled” option that only sees power. TR always tries to control power for any smart-control trainer.
1 Like

Thx Chad, I have a Stages that just sits over the winter, I’ll give it a shot.

1 Like

Just to mention the potential… if you don’t normally use the Stages PM for TR workouts, introducing it as the power data source for TR workouts could lead to issues. If they match, you are golden.

But we see more than a few cases where devices differ by meaningful amounts. If the Stages is notably different from your trainer, it could lead to high or low power reporting and related TSS at a minimum. This might even lead to issues with Progression Levels if your TR data is off from the targets that are set based upon your prior trainer data.

It could go in many directions, so it’s worth considering the various outcomes.

Good point. I often find that I can push 10-15w higher outside with Stages vs inside on my kick’r. I was chalking it up to motivation and improved cooling. As long as I leave the Stages on and use it consistently during the indoor season, I assume all will go well. Worst case I hope is that TR sees a discrepancy and adapts my plan. I’m just an amateur enthusiast so as long as I’m in the ball park I’m content. I would now be using the same Stages power metre for both inside and outside riding. That would be more beneficial in terms of continuity?

Thx for pointing that out.

1 Like
  • Yup, using the same “Tape Measure” inside and outside is about the best anyone can do. Sounds like you have a good plan moving forward.