TR + Rouvy? Full bluetooth or Do I need ant dongle?

Hello everyone,
Does someone use TR and rouvy together to have a landscape ? Do I need an ANT adapter? (I have tacx neo 2t smart)
Thanks!

I sometimes run TR and RGT (which is similar) and it depends on how you want to run it. But unless you have newer devices its likely one App will hog your single BT channel, whereas Ant + can support multiple Apps.

I tend to run endurance type work outs on the TR app on my phone reading Bluetooth off my trainer and the RGT on my laptop reading off ant+ of my powermeter (which only has ant +) and choose which app I want controlling the trainer. For some sessions higher than endurance sessions, I add an ant+ dongle to the phone so both app are reading the power meter. Very occasionally I run it the other way round but I prefer the big screen for RGT.

Or if I am just wanting a quick set up I’ll push TR to an outside workout on my Garmin and just load up the RGT app.

1 Like

Thanks,
I just want to run TR and move in Rouvy as the training progresses, But I dont know if its possible?

Yip its possible (assuming Rouvy is similar to RGT in set up). You’d have both TR and Rouvy reading off you’re power meter/ trainer but only set one to Control the trainer. If you just want pics thats TR, and if you want to feel the virtual road/ gradient thats Rouvy. If you have two devices (phone and pc) that can be off bluetooth on the phone ant+ on the pc. You may need to experiment to find what set up suits your equipment best but it will work.

My PC is not fast enough but I think you can run TR over Rouvy/Zwift/RGT etc on the one device with ant +.

No ANT+ is not needed to run TR and Rouvy together - at least with my Wahoo Kickr Core using my MacBook Pro. I just use Bluetooth. In addition to the Kickr Core and the MacBook Pro, I use a Wahoo cadence sensor and a Wahoo Tickr heart rate monitor.

Someday I’ll make a video but here’s the short/sweet/simple (okay there’s a bit extra in there but I thought I’d share beyond just the minimum):

1. Close all applications or minimize their windows on your computer [possibly better performance if your computer is working just 2 applications]
  2. Make sure Rouvy and Trainer Road are both shut down.
  3. Wake up all your devices [Heart Rate Monitor, Cadence Sensor, Smart Trainer]
  4. Start Trainer Road [Starting TR first gives it first crack at pairing with all devices w/o interference from Rouvy]
  5. Load your Trainer Road workout - you should see 3 paired devices at the bottom left of the Trainer Road window: A smart trainer, a speed/cadence sensor, and a heart rate monitor.
  6. At this time, trainer road is ready to start your workout as soon as you begin pedaling - but don’t start just yet!
  7. Start Rouvy
  8. Load the ride you want to watch while working out and select Just Ride
  9. If you go into settings/devices in Rouvy you should see two connected devices: “Smart Trainer / Bike / Power Meter” and a “Cadence Sensor”. The “Controllable” device should NOT be connected. You may have to “connect” or “disconnect” devices as necessary your first time - after that, it seems the settings “stick” from one session to the next.
  10. Close up the settings window.
  11. Rouvy should be ready to start your session as soon as you start pedaling - but don’t start just yet.
  12. Rouvy will have taken over the full screen and you won’t see your Trainer Road session in the background so let’s fix this!
  13. Press “Control” and the “Up Arrow” at the same time (on the MacBook).
  14. You will get a “Desktop” bar at the top of the screen and the Rouvy application will be represented as a small icon/screen on the “Desktop” bar at the top of the screen.
  15. Drag the Rouvy Icon down onto the actual desktop screen below the “Desktop” bar it is currently sitting in.
  16. Click on the newly relocated icon just once and it will expand to fill the screen but it won’t take over the full screen as it had been doing just before this dance. [You should now see a menu bar at the screen top like you normally would for most other applications]
  17. Then bring Trainer Road to the foreground by pressing “Command” and “Tab” at the same time to cycle Trainer Road to the front.
  18. Trainer Road will be in a medium-sized window which covers quite a bit of the Rouvy screen so let’s resize it. Click on the “resize” box on the lower right of the Trainer Road application window. This box is a little square with arrows pointing towards the center. This brings up a minimalist view of Trainer Road. You can then drag that minimalist view to the bottom of the screen. You can cover up the Rouvy progress bar at the bottom of the screen with the Trainer Road window since Rouvy really won’t be doing anything except showing it’s video.
  19. NOW You can start pedaling!!! Your Trainer Road workout AND Rouvy will both start. When your workout is done, just save and close it as normal and then quit the Trainer and Rouvy applications until you need them again. You’ll have to repeat the above ritual but it becomes really easy after a few iterations.

Note that in the Rouvy Settings menu you can choose “settings” again and turn off different parts of the Rouvy display to get a cleaner, less cluttered view of the video. As you change these display settings, the Rouvy display will change immediately (though it’s a bit opaque while the menu screen is open - but at least you can see what impact your menu selections are having.

1 Like

I run TR from my iPad and have Rouvy on the Apple TV. they both read my kickr core, I just have to make sure it’s not connected as controllable in rouvy before riding