Tour of Flanders 2022

I think he said he was just feeling sick. Looked like it went away. I honestly don’t think these guys show up to races to sandbag. They will destroy themselves to avoid getting dropped on a race like MSR. Grand tour strategy is of course different

1 Like

I meant with his comments, not his riding. At Dwars he was one of the protagonists at the end after his domestique was done (can’t remember his name sorry, maybe Connor Swift)

MVDP for the win. With WVA not riding, MVDP and WVA won’t be caught out watching each other as the winner goes up the road.

3 Likes

I think it comes down to the strength of the final group. There’s a lot of riders not quite on the level of MVdP and WvA that can hang in but then just sit and watch to get them to pull back the attacks.

Like Benoot yesterday. Luckily MVdP had the horsepower.

I am rooting for MVdP again and it should be a great race even without Wout.

I really hate Wout may be out. I was really looking forward to seeing how MvdP would try to handle Wout and his two top lieutenants. I can see Wout sending off Benoot and Laporte in attacks with MvdP having to respond while Wout got a free ride.

1 Like

Oooooh yeah they definitely sandbag the comments. “We’ll see how the legs feel” :rofl:

Laporte has been the rider of the spring besides Pogacar IMHO. Wout getting the wins but Laporte looks like he is on fire.

1 Like

Is WVA defo out?
He did 130 miles Tuesday at 23mph then Wednesday motor pacing.
Seems a bit premature to rule out.

His team has said a start on Sunday is “unlikely” and he had to bail on the recon ride today.

Totally agree. You don’t get 3rd in a race as stupidly hard as that was if you’re not a 100% (or very close to it). That is of course not a guarantee of same form on sunday, and stomach problems can be difficult.

1 Like

Ben Turner the 22 year old?

Him and Pidcock were in the same group.

Watched it last night Pidcock seems to be coming back, might be a week too early, but that was a much stronger showing than I expected.

I think he was dropped, he’s been ill. And as it stands he’s not riding Flanders. Could be good Amstel Gold option though.

Almost an obvious one considering the Sanremo win, but not mentioned so far: Mohoric. He won’t be the fastest up the steep bergs, but he was up there in E3 and Gent-Wevelgem, has amazing endurance, and goes well in long races. Plus no Dwars so fresh legs.

If the punchy riders like MVDP / Pogacar / Pidcock fail to go clear (or go clear but then start playing games), and we end up with a lead group of 8-12 on the flat run in to Oudenaarde, Mohoric would be a decent pick to escape for a solo win.

Stronger than Jumbo? Even without Wout they’re so strong in depth that I can’t believe they won’t get a place on the podium at least.

Yep, according to PCS he is out. Lots of swaps in/ out happening…

Yeah it was only Laporte who could stay with Wout up the Paterberg in E3…

I was much amussed at Pogacar stuck in no mans land the other day, not sure he’ll make that mistake again.

Just re-watched and Pog was a bit unlucky. He got held up in the crash at about 71km, at which point Ineos started drilling it on the front all the way to the Berg Ten Houte climb, lining out the peloton. He had to try to get back to the front with pretty much no team mates and by the time he got there it was too late and the winning move had gone clear.

(Counterpoint to that - if Pog had been better positioned and stuck to Trentin’s wheel at the head of affairs, he’d have avoided the crash and gone into Berg Ten Houte up there with the leaders. But like you say, I’m sure he’ll be doing his best to stay at the pointy end on Sunday.)

One thing’s for certain: between his solo move from back end to front end of peloton, attempted solo bridge to a strong six-man chaingang, then subsequent 6 and 3 man chasing groups where he did a big chunk of the work, there’s definitely no issue with his fitness…

2 Likes

May I introduce all of you to our lord and saviour Victor C.?

6 Likes

Looks like you’re right. Dang!

IMHO I think they are both stronger, but heck at this level the difference is fractions of a percent. Most critically important to the outcome of the race, I think the new Pinarellos are the prettiest bike made, therefore INEOS will come away with the win :rofl:

As a Sagan fan, I’m bummed he won’t be racing.