Tips on getting enough protein

Eggs contain cholesterol, they don’t necessarily give you cholesterol. Better to focus on saturated fat intake.

3 Likes

I just know that when I eat a lot of eggs my cholesterol goes up. So therefore I try not to eat a ton of eggs.:joy::joy:. Btw I may have poorly phrased my original post, but I usually only do 1-2 scoops (20g each scoop) a day plus my normal meals.

I agree with others here- protein supplements for every meal it is too much. You have to describe your day what you eat and then we can actually tell you what you can add more to your meals.

Anyway- answer your question: I would suggest hemp seed protein, brown rice protein and pumpkin protein that are rich in protein but also in other micronutrients which is extremely important if you want to stay healthy.

Also here is an article about eggs ( I saw a lot of people suggest eggs): https://foodclinicdiet.com/eggs-cheap-superfood/

Definitely not doing it every meal. Just 1-2 scoops daily between meals.

oh ok, I didn’t noticed your last post. 1-2 scoops it is enough
What do you eat as your daily meals?

Mostly Greek yogurt with granola or oatmeal for breakfast. Then normally salads and sandwiches for lunch and dinner varies a lot

1 Like

I hired a nutritionist/cycling coach a few years back with a PHD in sports nutrition and a former Olympic cyclist to boot. I was falling apart on even short rides, my weight was plateaued, things were not going well.

She was adamant that there was an upper threshold of protean uptake between 65-80g a day, and the extra would get stripped out by your kidneys and dumped into your urine. I vividly remember her saying “people on high protein diets are literally pissing their money away.”

I had tracked my macros religiously for about six months before starting with her, and had a diet that was 60% protein. She switched me to a diet of 65% carbohydrate/18%protein/17% fat and I was literally unstuck in a day. In retrospect, it was like being in a constant state of bonk. I have no idea how the keto people do it.

One thing that also matters is protein quality. Animal sources are high quality, and get a 2:1 bonus over vegetable sources. I think I remember reading that your body will start dumping protein at the upper limit either way, which is why vegan women are often anemic.

I used to farm for a living and we have similar issues getting plants to take up nitrogen. With the advent of microsprinklers and drip tape and other precision instruments, we can micro dose the plant with exactly what it needs when it needs it, and not waste the excess nitrogen by leeching it away like we used to with flood irrigation.

I’m curious what OP’s macros look like.

4 Likes

It is good.
I would suggest to add more fishes or meat with lots of vegetables and some healthy vegetable oils.

Dude - how can you eat a kilo of yoghurt in a day!! :smiley:

4 Likes

Nigel Mitchell - ‘Fuelling the Cycling Revolution’ recommends no more than 100g of Natural Yogurt a day, not sure if that includes Greek Yoghurt.

1 Like

Not sure if you meant 100g or 1000g? Don’t get me wrong - I love Greek Yoghurt but a kilo a day is intense! I know I couldn’t eat that much yoghurt without :face_vomiting: Thanks for the tip on the book, I haven’t read that one…will be sure to give it a read…

Less than 100g per day.

I think that was in reference to people that have gut issues.

Not a recommendation for everyone.

You might be right. Think anyone would have gut issues eating a Kg a day though.

1 Like

Not to attack you or nitpick, and this isnt even directly in response to your post…but:

I HATE the term protein “quality.” There is no scale of “quality” with protein. Just different kinds. IE, it’s pre mixed for you. As in, meat is green protein. But you can accomplish the same thing by just eating both yellow and blue protein. Which is probably an anal and convoluted way of saying if you dont rely on just a 1 or 2 sources of protein, the entire concept of protein “quality” is pretty irrelevant IMO.

3 Likes

This sounds like a great challenge for the forum.

1 Like

You need to mix it up a bit if you do 1kg :smile:

Lots of high protein options out there with different flavours and textures.

I thought anaemia (sp?) was a defecit of iron? Intrigued.

1 Like

Actually, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

To elaborate, my nutritionist taught that proteins have variable quality between them, but largely they are so small they can be disregarded outside of the proteins source - animal or vegetable. Functionally (in the kitchen or the grocery aisle) that’s what my concern is.

If you have animal sourced protein, you get roughly 1 gram of effect for 1 gram of ingestion.

If you have vegetable sourced protein, you get roughly 1/2 gram of effect for 1 gram of ingestion.

And you still have that limit on how much you can process a day before your kidneys do their thing and strip the excess out.

Her larger point (and mine) is most endurance athletes ingest too much protein and are wasting their money on recovery drinks because they had too much protein and not enough carbohydrates. And the protein in a recovery drink is an adjudicator to help your body uptake the carbohydrate.

And on that note, shout out to the podcast and Amber Pierce. I started making that lemon lime sports drink/vanilla whey protein drink for a recovery beverage and it’s fantastic. The same macros as chocolate milk, the same 5:1 carbohydrate:protein (high quality animal based!) ratio, and it’s like $0.30 a serving AND it doesn’t have to be refrigerated in powder form. It really does taste like Key Lime Pie.

I mix a bottle up before I get on the trainer so it’s ready to drink when I get off and get in the shower.

3 Likes

I did too, but apparently it’s a thing.

https://www.malacards.org/card/protein_deficiency_anemia

That said, I took it as a throwaway comment, in the context that was only narrowly applicable to vegan endurance athletes who happened to be female.

There’s so much marketing hype around diets and nutrition. In plants (I used to be in agriculture) there’s a ton of longitudinal studies on how much nitrogen and when to apply it that bean counters like me (I’m trained as an accountant) could go find the cheapest sources of soluable nitrogen and save the operation $$$ while improving production.

The data is out there for what optimal ranges of human nutrition are for a given activity. But the problem is its decidedly unsexy, and you don’t sell any books or supplements or other high margin products hyping moderate intake of lean meats, sparing use of healthy fats, and abundant use of vegetables.

People are free to disagree with me, but my opinion is if you hit your macros and your caloric intake and you don’t feel hungry you are probably 95% there assuming your macros and caloric intake is correct.

1 Like