Tips on getting enough protein

+1 on the vanilla whey and lemon lime sports drink. Its really good.

Do you have data on veggie protein only counting as half ?? I’ve not heard that. Are you sure you didnt hear that perhaps that many vegetables only contain half the necessary amino acids for humans?

1 Like

I’m certain I didn’t misunderstand.

I don’t have access to the powerpoints from her presentation, but ICIRC it had to do with digestibility and their conversion. I don’t know why, but I’ve seen charts that indicate not everything someone can eat converts at the same efficiency.

Had I known when I was 15 what I knew now, I’d have studied chemistry and biology a lot closer. I only studied accounting because I stumbled into it and I had an aptitude for it.

I know a little about keto and how it relates to cows. When grass is green it’s carbohydrate rich, and cows convert it to fat. When the feed stocks dry down, the carbohydrates go with it, and the cows go into ketosis, which is bad because that’s what causes that gamey taste in grass fed beef because they are consuming their fat rather than making it from a carbohydrate rich diet.

When I was in diapers we ran cows between two mountain ranges and summered them on irrigated pasture. Even those always green grass fed cows tasted better if they went to a feed lot that finished the last 45-60 days on corn.

1 Like

It bothered me I couldn’t back up my statement, so I poked around a little and I think I found the basis for my cite.

It’s the PDCASS - protein digestibility corrected amino acid score if someone wants to research it further.

2 Likes

I did, straight from the study itself:

“1 Presented at the symposium ªCriteria and Signi®cance of Dietary Protein Sources in Humans,º held in San Francisco, CA, on October 4, 1999. The symposium was sponsored by the National Dairy Council; International Dairy Federation; United Kingdom Dairy Association; Dairy Farmers of Canada; Davisco Foods International, Inc., New Zealand Milk; CAMPINA MELKUNIE, Zaltbommel, The Netherlands; Land O’Lakes; and CERIN. Published as a supplement to The Journal of Nutrition. Guest editors for this publication were Gregory D. Miller, National Dairy Council, Rosemont, IL, and Daniel Tome, Institut National Agronomique, Paris, France.”

“1 Data from FAO/WHO Expert Consultation 1990, European Dairy Association 1997, and Renner 1983”

“Darragh, A. J., Schaafsma, G. and Moughan, P. J. (1998) Impact of amino acid availability on the protein digestibility corrected amino acid score. Proceedings of the Nutrition Week of the International Dairy Federation, Wellington, New Zealand, March 9±11, 1998. Dutch Dairy Foundation on Nutrition and Health (1995) Proceedings of the International Workshop on Nutritional Aspects of Milk Proteins in Comparison with Other Proteins, organized by the Dutch Foundation on Nutrition and Health, Utrecht, the Netherlands, March 13±14, 1995. European Dairy Association (1997) Nutritional Quality of Proteins. European Dairy Association, Brussels, Belgium.”

“Renner, E. (1983) Milk and Dairy Products in Human Nutrition. W-Gmbh Volkswirtschaftlicher Verlag, MuÈnchen, pp. 90±130.”

“Van Hooydonk, A.C.M. (1994) De®nition of the nutritional value of dietary proteins. In: Protein De®nition. Proceedings of the 1st IDF Symposium, Minneapolis, MN, October 1993. International Dairy Federation, Brussels.”

so take this with a grain of salt and maybe 1kg of dairy :+1::ok_hand:

2 Likes

I’m minimally conditioned to dairy unless I eat it all the time.

Considering that two of my grandfathers were dairymen, I’m a bad grandchild.

1 Like

it pretty much renders the study useless though with such a vast conflict of interest

Maybe, but my nutritionist didn’t think so. Either way, how much conflict of interest can there be there, on a functional level?

As I wrote earlier, your protein intake is likely in excess of what your body can process and your kidneys are flushing it out in your urine stream either way. You could have an all quinoa diet and get there. It would not be fun but you could do it. If you accept my argument that the upper limit is near 70g before your body cleans the extra out, somebody supplementing their diet with three scoops of whey protein (100g extra a day) is wasting all of it.

IMO, we spend too much time worrying about what the source of is for we are eating (organic, quality of protein, grass fed, ect) and not enough worrying about getting the right macros for our activity. I can remember a time before the mid 1980s and the planet was calorie deficient (there were people starving because we couldn’t produce enough calories) and we never had these discussions.

IMO.

2 Likes

I agree

Sorry, but how many grandfathers do/did you have?

4 Likes

in this case it’s pretty clear more on the side of an advertisement than a study

This isn’t strictly true - no matter how apparently neutral, all studies have interested parties in any given research producing a certain result. Those who fund the research may or may not have an undue influence on the result, but you cannot know for certain.

Reduce your confidence in the output by all means, but rely on peer review and follow up studies to denounce the study.

1 Like

Protein powder, the modern day magic dust. The majority of cyclists are getting enough if not too much protein in their diet without the need for protein powder. Yet everyone thinks protein powder is some kind of wonder stuff. Lifters potentially may need some and those looking to increase muscle mass. But if you feel you are lacking protein everyday, you really need to look into your diet.

Two questions

First - 70g over what period of time as the upper limit? Does that imply 70g in 24 hours? 70g in a single sitting? 70g in the roughly 18 hours most people are awake each day?

Second - Less importantly, more just curiosity, but why do you assume each scoop of whey protein is 33g of protein? The whey I use (SiS) is a 15g scoop which contains 11g of protein. Curious if I missed it elsewhere in the thread or if there’s some standard I’m not aware of.

this is your job now to find the peer reviews and follow up studies :slight_smile:

Somehow I knew you’d pass on the leg work! :sweat_smile::wink:

1 Like

I am new to cycling, but have been lifting weights for 40 years, so I have taken in a lot of protein. lol
It is very interesting that on the cycling side of things the “tests” claim that your body can only process small amounts of protein while on the bodybuilding “tests” claim that your body can process 50 grams per meal and many consume well in excess of 2 grams per pound of body weight daily.

I honestly don’t know which is right.
But to answer the original posters question. I simply eat a lot of meat, some greek yogurt and will get 30-40 grams from whey powder per day. I buy the Pure Protein brand in Rich Chocolate and it tastes like the best chocolate shake I have ever had. I only drink it once per day, but I could easily drink it multiple times.
I am probably getting way too much protein according to the cycling community, from 1-1.3 g/kg, and I am actually trying to reduce it, but old habits are hard to break.

Curious as well, as myprotein impact whey is 20g per 25g scoop/ stated portion.

Personally I’d still rather shoot high than low with protein. But definitely experiencing less muscle soreness since I’ve focused more on my carb intake around workouts, instead of focusing on protein and letting carbs look after themselves.

My macros for today are pretty typical for a ride day - 475g of carbs, 123g of fat, 142g of protein

It’d take a pretty dramatic shift to reduce my protein all the way down to 70g, and I feel like 475g of carbs is a lot already :-/

I don’t.

A meta-analysis of studies shows an effect on muscle growth rate up to 1.6 g / kg / day of protein.

Helms et al in JISSN has a ton of references in his Methods section (subsection “Protein”) on the topic.

There are definitely (positive, physiological) effects of increased protein consumption beyond 70 g / day.

3 Likes

I’m currently aiming for ~180-200g of protein a day so i had to get creative aswell.

I hardly ever eat meat these days so i rely on whey protein and my main source overall would be pasta made out of red lentils or chickpeas. High protein pasta is a magic bullet way too little ppl know about imo.

2 Likes