The true cost of indoor training

…No tan lines. :rofl:

Alas I am mostly a melanin free zone. After lockdown some of my riding buddies are definitely looking a bit peaky…

How are ye all doing on that score?

Anyone setting up the tanning lights in the pain caves to get some UV hardness training in?

3 Likes

I’m already almost fully tan, Finished my program in April and been outside since, supplementing with inside. Got a century at the shore tomorrow where I’ll pick up all the remaining color. There is a beautiful world out there, go ride it

3 Likes

No tan lines is a benefit to me or indoor training. I tan pretty easy, but my skin naturally has an olive complexion. But I have developed some minor spots of vitiligo over the past several years and being tan makes it more noticeable. :worried:

I can count on 2 hands the number of outdoor rides I’ve done this year. I’ve still got a little bit of a tan from last year somehow. I’m supplementing vitamin D still - I thought I’d have stopped come April…

I really wanted to get outside tomorrow, as we finally have some nice weather back, but from a scheduling point of view, I really should FTP test tomorrow or Sunday…

2 Likes

Maybe go have some fun instead?

3 Likes

Pretty good actually. If it rains, I just get myself some spray tan…

6 Likes

That’s a very fluffy puddle you rode through… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

It’s really not that bad for me, at least so far. Only on a few spots on forearms and 4 fingers that haven’t grown in 3 years. I suspect I have some on my inner thigh, but that is actually light enough that I can’t tell. A couple of small spots on my abdomen and back. None on my face or neck. Treatments are limited, but more effective treatments may perhaps materialize with time and proper FDA approval and some have proven to reverse even severe cases. Either way, I’m vain and would be bummed if it got worse quickly, but there are worse things and I’ll adjust.

I suppose a couple of hours Z2 with say 3 or 4 KOM attempts (primers?!) would be ok as long as I have an actual Z2 ride Sunday and Monday off.

Get yourself some Peloton windows to workout in front of, and then go “full Cippolini.”

My mentality is different. I suffer inside during the months when it’s too cold to ride outside, so I can smash it when the weather gets good. I see guys right now starting plans, for what? To be couped up inside all summer and be ready for what in the fall, the races that are probably not happening? It just doesn’t make sense to me, suffer in the winter and enjoy the fruits of your labor the rest of the year. If people never ride outside, or ride outside 10x a year like some say, what are you even training indoors for?

1 Like

You like X I like Y, all good were still pedaling!

6 Likes

Because some people enjoy it?

2 Likes

I can’t get outside regularly for rides during the week, regardless of the weather. So, I ride the trainer to increase my fitness so I have more fun when I do get the chance to ride outside (more than 10x a year, but probably not more than 50x a year). That, and I look forward to the trainer rides anyway. Crushing myself all the time isn’t great, but 90% of the time I enjoy it, it is my opportunity to watch TV, and it is satisfying seeing those numbers goes up.

7 Likes

Sames.

1 Like

I totally get it - last year I was outdoors all year (even throughout winter) on no structure. I had fun and made some noob gains. At the moment I’m getting stronger than ever, and am feeling very motivated by the gains I’m making.

While I can’t ride with others, I feel like I may as well make the most of it. Whenever things return to normal (or just next winter), I’ll start from a higher platform. I was supposed to be racing this year - my first race was a week away when it was cancelled.

Weather depending, I will be outside tomorrow. Fast wheels on, segments on the Garmin :grin:

exposed! You’ve found the real reason I choose to ride outside!

50spf and 2 hour evening rides… and yet I’m shopping for long finger summer gloves?!

just using what my wife buys! I’m told it doesn’t have weird chemicals or fragrance, never had a problem with anything and we have a pool so a lot of sun screen in these here parts.

Thinking about a neck gaiter or something for the neck, but it looks like wearing a turtleneck in the summer! :turtle:

:+1:t3:

No tan lines for me this year. Lock-down means working from home. In the UK we’ve had our sunniest spring on record. However, I say no tan lines because… all that working from home (in the garden naked) has resulted in an all over body tan. Dont worry, tape over the webcam for meetings.

3 Likes