The sad implosion of Cyclingtips :( (new title to reflect the max exodus)

What an absolute crock.

He wrote, “I was excited when Peloton joined Outside in 2021 because it gave our writers and staff a larger platform and more support. We wanted more people to know about our brand and storytelling”. He left out, “so we immediately killed the magazine”.

He then says, “I want you to know the ethos of our content will honor the best of CyclingTips”. The best of CyclingTips was the people and the sense of community. They destroyed both of those too.

Sorry if this is overly confrontational. That letter flat out made me angry. I was a huge fan and a subscriber to both Peloton and CyclingTips. They ruined them both virtually overnight.

19 Likes

That letter was sop ridiculous….vague and completely oblivious to the mistakes they had made.

“Please trust us as we try and rebuild the best platform is cycling media without the parts that made it great….the people and community”

Hard GTFO….

2 Likes

Love how they still prevent comments.

3 Likes

This was my last free article. Didn’t do much to entice me to pay again.

2 Likes

Very clickbait title. It makes it sound like real content / information will be provided, but all you get is platitudes.

3 Likes

From our perspective they have made mistakes. Maybe this was their plan all along? Maybe only a small percentage of viewers joined veloclub, hang out on forums, or even listened to the podcast?

I’ve read about business that exist on a vast interconnected web of ads, click bait, and referral links.

Maybe that is what they are building?

1 Like

The byline of the article is “Editorial plans for 2023 and beyond”. There is nothing in post about concrete plans. Just empty promises about more of everything and “celebrating differences”.

What a travesty.

As the recently appointed Editorial Director of the Road/Gravel group at Outside, I want you to know the ethos of our content will honor the best of CyclingTips and VeloNews. There will be more video and storytelling. More inclusivity and acceptance. More e-bikes. More gear and bike reviews. More content that will inspire a new cyclist to sign up for her first gravel race. We will celebrate our differences and encourage more people to fall in love with riding bikes. We will keep going.

2 Likes

I suspect that it was the plan, no idea why it would be the plan but it’s been done so effectively that there must have been a guiding hand.

The irony that it starts with an anecdote relating to surviving cancer when it’s Outside that are the cancer.

More info on Veloclub changes:

3 Likes

CT is absolutely dead to me after they published that Colin Strickland apologetic BS disguised as a Mo Wilson tribute article. Don’t really care what they do with it.

8 Likes

Just finished it. What an odd article.

Well, at least they’re refunding all the people who haven’t already cancelled. I kinda figured they would just keep the money.

2 Likes

Does anyone here subscribe to Rouleur? Kind of ticks a lot of boxes I have seen mentioned (longform articles, nice paper, good writing, nice to look at, etc.) I went to Rouleur when CyclingTips started to fall apart and got a gift subscription for it over the holidays. I’ve enjoyed it so far.

It does lack the community feel, but they recently sent out an email about “The Rouleur Society” Rouleur Society - Connecting cycling cultures - It kind of sounds like they’re trying to do something similar to Velo Club / Rapha Club Houses?

I’m also excited about the “new Cycling Tips”, but for now my money is going to Rouleur.

3 Likes

Glad I’m not the only person that read that as apologist garbage. I try not to be offended by things that have nothing to do with me but that article was grim.

The article starts with “every woman should own a gun” and immediately follows with ~I recognize my male size and privilege’s~ – I made it no further.

What a trash editorial decision. I unfortunately fed the click-machine.

I can’t even do a search on Velonews:

The application did not respond in time.

Responsive searching is an extra add-on. :smiley:

1 Like

I tried to see if Peloton still existed in any way after reading his letter and all the links on their page 404

Outside selling off bits and parts now…

This actually makes sense, IMO…I don’t think Outside ever had any core competency in event management, so dumping these properties seems prudent while they struggle with the more pressing financial issues.

3 Likes