The Rift 2022 (Iceland gravel race)

So, registration opened and sold out in less than 25 minutes. Who’s registered? How will your training be leading up to the race?

1 Like

I signed up. My training will consist of 9 months of panic, I think. Hyperventilating should really work the lungs.

10 Likes

Great plan. Exactly how I intend to prepare as well.

2 Likes

I’m so sad I missed the registration by just a little bit. :pensive:

Does anyone know if there is an official (or unofficial) waitlist? Or a place people typically go to sell/transfer registrations?

There is a Facebook community group for The Rift. You will see folks sometimes selling (at cost) their ticket because they can’t make it for one reason or another. And others requesting for tickets.

I managed to snag one so now I need to stop eating turkey and pumpkin pie and start training!

1 Like

I had luck and got registered to 200 K event. Do you guys know what is the difference between the Pro/elite class and age groups? It wasn’t described at the web page, but I will participate in my age group as I don’t have a lot of racing experience even though the fitness is ok.

My training will be affected by lack of time, but I try to fit 10-12 hours per week riding in my schedule. If I can’t make it, I will run and do some gym work instead. I have to do some trainer work, but I think I will do longer rides with fatbike if we will get a lot of snow.

This year I have done with quite bad training (avg 6-8 hours per week, mostly short Z2 rides and some hard Z3-Z4 rides) 2x20 min @ 390 W, 367 watts for 60 minutes and 255 watts for seven hours so my fitness is already in good shape for the event. I just need to drop some weight, I think I am at 90 kg now so my racing weight would be around 85 kg. I have to do it carefully to not have a negative effect for the fitness.

I’m looking for a 50k or 100k mens ticket. Send me a message if you have one available. We can do a secure exchange through bikereg.com. Thanks!
Bryan

1 Like

You should monitor the race Facebook group. Tickets are regularly offered up for sale there.
There are even some for sale rn

This is such a great event…I can’t say enough great things about it.

3 buddies and I did it last year and just had a wonderful time. Iceland is gorgeous and so many fascinating things to do / see. Very friendly people, wonderful food and a great beer scene, as well.

The weather for the race last year was kinda schitt, but as long as you dress properly, it is entirely manageable. A GoreTex ShakeDry jacket is highly recommended.

If anyone has any questions or would like suggestions, lemme know…definitely take advantage of the dry clothes drop just after the halfway point.

1 Like

I concur!

1 Like

I am looking for a 50km ticket and haven’t seen one in the facebook group yet.

They offer only 100km and 200km
I believe

Hello. Any words of wisdom for this ride from those who done this? I’m signed up for the 200km and trying to just finish it in the time limit. I can do the distance and climb on road but haven’t done it on gravel. I’m unsure how much slower I’ll be but I’m pretty sure I can do this :grimacing:.

What’s the gravel like? How much of it is packed, sandy, rocky? How was the first 70km to the peak? What did the check points stock for food?

Any advice is appreciated

1 Like

It was literally all of the above….the terrain was extremely varied. Some of it was really chunky, some of it was very fine and everything in between. But they are roads so there is usually decent tire tracks to follow in. I used 700x40’s and never felt like I didn’t have enough tire.

Honestly, not as bad as the graph makes it look. Most of it is just long gradual grades with some occasional steep pitches. I had a 1:1 bailout gear and anything I could not climb in that, you were going to have to walk anyway. IIRC, there are 3 steep pitches that you are gonna have to push your bike up. This is non-negotiable. :rofl:

As far as sports nutrition, it was all GU products…Roctane powder, Stroopwaffles, etc. They’ll dump in the powder and then you mix it with water. Also plenty of chips, soda, etc. The aid stations were really well stocked IMO.

On the way back, there is about 40km with some of the worst washboard sections I have ever ridden. I’m not gonna lie…it sucks. I would try and hold my speed, roll a big gear and stay as light as possible, but eventually you would almost grind to a stop. It was usually a bit better on the side of the road, but not always.

HIGHLY recommend a Gore ShakeDry jacket, or something similar. It rained a good chunk ace last year and the ShakeDry was awesome. I also wore a Castelli Perfetto SS jersey (w/ arm warmers), which was also great. Honestly, bring your whole wardrobe…LS, SS, baselayers, leg warmers, knee warmers, short gloves, etc. The weather in Iceland is extremely variable and you don’t know what race day will bring, so be prepared for anything. Definitely rain gloves, too!

Make sure you go to the pre-race dinner at Valhalla (I think that was the name). A lot of fun and good food / beer.

Take the time to look around while you are riding…it is easy to get sucked into just looking at the road, but the scenery is spectacular. Soak it all in.

I can’t say enough good things about the race, the organization and the country in general. I enjoyed every minute of it, even though the weather on race day was cold and wet.

Oh, and don’t push it on some of the descents…I hit a soft patch of gravel and went down at ~30mph. Concussed myself and had double-vision. Luckily it cleared up after ~20 minutes and I had no other symptoms so was able to finish. Amazingly, I ad no other injuries from going down at that speed. You can see the remnants of the crash on my right side below.

3 Likes

Oh…almost forgot….the Dry bag drop!

At the halfway point, after you cross the stream in the picture above, you’ll be able to get your dry bag supplies. Definitely pack an extra pair of shoes and socks. From that point to the finish, there is only one more stream crossing and it is only about 15km from the finish, IIRC. You may also want to have dry kit pieces to change into as well.

For the stream crossings, look for the ripples and cross there. Those are the shallowest points, hence the ripples. Carry speed and cadence into it, focus on the other bank and just go for it. Momentum is your friend.

1 Like

@Power13 thanks for the info. It’s a greatly appreciated and glad you’re alright from the crash. I’m riding a surly midnight special, lauf fork, and 40mm tires. The bike should good to go but the rider is questionable :upside_down_face:.
I’m bringing a lot of cycling gear/clothes and a good rain jacket, so I should be prepared that way.

1 Like

Good call on the Lauf fork…as we were grinding through the washboards, there were more than a few people near us w/ Lauf forks…I seriously considered taking them down and jumping on their bike. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Now I need to buy another pair of shoes? It never ends with the bike gear :rofl:

3 Likes

Power13 has hit so many of the high points.

My tip is put dry clothing in zip lock bags in your drop bag.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cf9v2bFM5wj/

I have some concerns.

3 Likes