I’ve seen a lot of different data recently around fructose, added sugar, and how generally bad it is for your health, even in the event that you are burning through it during the course of exercise. While some might consider this to be a fairly extreme step, I’m working towards minimizing or eliminating almost all added sugar from my diet, including during training. This is not a weight-loss or otherwise disordered eating related endeavor; this is purely for health, longevity, and avoiding long term risk.
If you want to debate the data, please go talk about it in another thread. I’m specifically looking for advice, recipes, or products that people use during training.
- I’ll still carry a gel and a packet of Skratch with the flat kit for emergency bonks
- I’ll still use Skratch during races
- For really hard workouts (4 hours or longer) where I enter a deep calorie deficit, I’ll still consume a recovery shake
What I’ve started with:
- Swapping Skratch for regular electrolyte drink with no carbs
- Carrying more regular food on the bike
- Preparing recovery meals before I go ride
- Judiciously inspecting all the food in my house
Has anyone else done anything similar? If so, would love to hear your experience.