Sugar intake (outside of direct workout fueling)

I am new to nutrition and found great information in episode 270 with Jon, Jesse & Pete. I feel I have some beginner understanding on nourishing your body with high quality foods to achieve optimal body composition. My question concerns sugar intake. I currently fuel my workouts with Mikes mix maltodextrin & Gatorade mix following the forum recipe.
What should my sugar intake look like throughout the rest of the day? Is there a low or high end guideline on sugar amounts? Will higher sugar prevent weight loss, or if the calorie goal is correct does the sugar amount matter? Is there a sign to determine if I should increase or decrease sugar intake? Thank you for the help!

I would avoid “sugar” during the day and get my carbs from more complex foods. Simple sugars while good when exercising cause big blood sugar spikes that need to be avoided when possible.

7 Likes

i stopped eating sugar off the bike from a challenge posed by one of our coaches, and it has been life changing. for 2 weeks I definitely felt OFF as I consumed many foods with sugar (granola bars, clif bars, etc), but after 14-20 days I felt awesome, lost a couple LBs that have just always sat there, and got really lean.

worth a shot!

Good luck!

3 Likes

i’ve also made a switch in diet away from processed sugar off the bike. however, if its fruit, vegetables, rice, potatoes, salad, meat fish oats etc i eat as much as i can. without looking at calories, but just avoiding chocolate crisps biscuits and known crap, i feel great. my fat is reducing and my blood tests last week were great.

on the bike are bananas cereal bars and gels as required

2 Likes

No need to ban sugar or anything. For example if you eat mostly stuff you cook yourself without added sugar and then eat the occasional cake/cookies from the supermarket that is totally fine.

Also by far the most important thing for your health is that you don’t eat too much and keep body fat low. Combine that with a balanced diet with lots of fruits and veggies and it doesn’t matter how much sugar you eat.