The Ironman Training 2021 Thread

What’s the general opinion on tethered swimming? With pools still closed my season prep is shortened and I probably will have to do a lot more swimming per week, without really having the time to do so. So far I’ve dismissed the idea of an above ground pool in the backyard. I’m afraid it will do more harm to my already poor technique than it would help with endurance and strength. But I’m willing to reevaluate my opinion.

I think some of you do have a backyard setup, right? What’s your experience, do you improve or is just enough to get you to T1? Are there any articles or podcasts worthy reading or listening to?

1 Like

Sometimes most of my training is tethered.
I think it works. I’m not fast but can manage 69mins just training like

I hope to be able to get back in it in March/April👍

6 Likes

I listen to this regularly. It is a good podcast

1 Like

I was actually expecting a bit mire detail like actionable activities but it has some useful points in there anyway.

I will continue doing military press regardless! :slight_smile:

I’m seeing pretty nice gains in the MV Base and build plans. However, three runs a week just “feels” like it is missing another easy one. Anybody willing to share thier experience for about a 12hr full guy? If the running plan seems light, does that mean trust the gut and add another run or that the plan is working? I’ve run about 1600km a year for the last five years (last year was less) but the TR plan has me on a pace for about a 20% reduction.

I’m on the same plan though possibly a little earlier in it. Just coming to the end of base. I ran through LV first, finished with about 2 weeks of speciality left to give myself a proper end of season rest.

I haven’t added in an extra run but have switched to include 3min on/3min off workouts earlier in the base period. I swapped out all of the hill sprints. I’ve found it much more productive - times are coming down nicely.

The plan is definitely bike focused. I occasionally switch sweetspot for Z2 to give myself a bit of breathing space if I start to feel fatigued from the extra run work.

Yep, and consequently I’d bear that in mind when comparing with previous training loads. If the bike intensity is much higher than previously as it will be for most, then adding runs should be done cautiously…particularly if you’re unable to swim though, you can probably add an easy run without too much worry.

2 Likes

I know they have been mentioned here before but I’m having good success with Stryd. Their approach to running power is very similar to TR’s approach to the bike with power based plans. Their new Workout App is also very similar (at least on my Garmin) with structured workouts sent to my watch and guided workouts with target zones etc.

I’m doing a Half Distance medium volume plan, and I just substitute the running with the Stryd plan. You choose the days for different types of running so it works well with Plan Builder and I have managed to sequence the TR and Stryd plans together without really cooking myself on any given day of the week.

I can see this becoming harder with a full distance plan with training loads being higher. I’m also a beginning runner (1:50 half marathon time) and I can see more advanced runners possibly having more trouble sequencing the plans - but this is a guess as I’m not qualified :slight_smile:

Yes I would love to see the full training load in TR, but I can wait for that. They are going to need it for any adaptive plan features coming in the future… I would also love to see them purchase Stryd and have the best integrated Bike and Run solution in the market. Here’s hoping!

6 Likes

It’s great to hear that the Stryd is working well for you. I have been pretty interested in them. I like the idea of having the additional information and more specific training to add to my TR plan (or swap in for it). I wish there was at least a way to generate paces to target for the TR run workouts instead of basing them on RPE.

1 Like

All other things being equal, you can it’s just not optimal:

Hi Joe. Thanks for the link.

Those guidelines will be helpful in making sure I’m doing my runs at close to the speeds I should be, adjusting based on perceived difficulty as needed!

No worries.

At the moment I’m only doing aerobic runs so everything is an RPE 4 by default, but if I get home and think that was really easy or I feel more drained than I should I would record the RPE as higher or lower correspondingly. As my marathon pace has increased I’m more likely to call a run at that pace a 5 or 6 depending on the time on feet.

Running is my weakest discipline and I got injured every time I started the sessions that include the 20s sprints or mention RPE 9 or 10, I learned very slowly that I don’t need to go much harder than 5k pace in intervals to get the benefit without the injury, so I’d bear that in mind too. Basically, don’t be a slave to the plan :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m lucky enough to live fairly close to some hilly trails and I’ve found hill repeats on a nice trail give you maximum rpe without the extra energy going through joints. In general trail has worked well for me and my injuries are greatly reduced.

1 Like

Hi, do you still believe the early events are gonna happen?
After seeing ironman ceo’s latest video I’m not optimistic

Well, like he said - it depends on the region and country. Nothing’s going to be happening in the UK for a few months but maybe things are better in Dubai or Thailand?

Challenge Roth (Deutschland), scheduled for July, just been postponed. Very likely that it will set the precedence for mass European racing thus I expect all IM/Challenge races pre-August to be postponed. Predict that like last year, IM Tallinn will be the first mass European race to go ahead.

That’s not to say domestic races like the Outlaw series in the UK won’t go ahead.

1 Like

Oh dear. I’m down for ITU Hamburg in July, I’ll expect a postponement then.

70.3 aix is officially postponed.
Mid September instead of mid may

1 Like

Can only speculate until official news comes out. Will all depend on regional restrictions etc. but Hamburg and Roth (Bavaria) are in different states… Keeping fingers crossed.

1 Like

Glad to see another user of Stryd. Been using stryd for quite some time now and I love it. Will be trying it for IMMT this year (if it happens). Tested the combo TR/Stryd for a HIM and it worked well. I follow Palladino’s plan and adapt them for triathlon (which just means go from 5 to 7 runs per week to say 3). Intensities are the same as per running only plan except for race simulation and race day (which is usually a touch slower like 75-80% of run CP).

3 Likes