The Ironman Training 2021 Thread

Wow - you need to do us a nice long race write up with pics! :wink:

Yes, I think it’s normal to lose some top end after a half, more so after a full. Did you do vo2max intervals the week after the race or did you take a recovery week? And what sort of ball park racer are you? If you’re racing again in four weeks I’m guessing you’re no newbie :slight_smile:

So the temperature was not in my favour, but more importantly I scuppered my effort by starting weighted squats again yesterday. The cat got me up at 01:00 and my legs were like lead, I could barely stand for a moment. By 07:00 I definitely had DOMS which is very rare for me and I was only doing 50kg reps.

End excuses.

I dual ran the test on TR and Zwift because I have a problem with my trainer/pedals pairing and the trainer is considerably out of step with my pedals. TR and Trainer: 239, Zwift and Pedals: 260.

If I accept my Pedals as true, which I do, that’s still -5W from starting SSB MV 1 which after 5 weeks avg 9hrs/week total training and the most bike TSS I’ve put in ever at this time of year…is disappointing! :neutral_face:

I will regroup and retest on Saturday, but I will have a few days off lifting this time first. See what that gives before I worry any further.

2 Likes

@joex Great job on the weights! Sounds like it is working and you did it right! I’m sure you are stretching and it help.

Who needs a pool…Lake Michigan open for swimming, no wetsuit required!!!

This guy has jumped into the lake for 240 days in a row. It has been brutally cold the last 4 days. Like single digit cold. Not to mention the foot+ of snow on the ground.

1 Like

The short version of the race write-up: swim sucked, bike was good, run sucked - overall I’m happy but plenty to work on.

Triathlon newbie but not total newbie. I’ve had some time away but used to race the road lots and I’ve been training again properly for nearly 2 years. I used the COVID lockdowns to log extra miles without the swim of course.

I’m definitely getting used to the longer recovery after a tri. I felt post race ‘normal’ after the event but it doesn’t come back as quick. I’m sure that will get better :wink:

1 Like

I had to drop a swim workout from the plan to get it all in.

I can only dream of being to accumulate this much tss without death.

1 Like

I have a cycling trip there the same weekend and I’m struggling to commit to the build. Must be Super tough to commit for full distance.

Only tough bit is current uk weather… I’m pretty high volume just for ‘fun’ in any case.

I do want to KQ so need to get some running speed over March and April though.

Hope we do get to go out there! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Caveat…I started this 40 week (overall) program after taking off most of 2020. Just finished FDLV Base and saw a 35 watt increase in FTP and 9 pounds of weight loss. My overall goal is very modest hoping to hit at least 3 watts per KG. 28 weeks and .8 to go! I did my first Ironman (Mont Tremblant) at 2.5 with no structured cycling training. Frankly I was more concerned about not drowning. I learned in that race that you can’t run if the tank has already been emptied.

8 weeks of build before the next ramp test and then back to base. Being in my late 40’s, it doesn’t come as easy and I’ll never see what I could have been as a cyclist. I was a college basketball player so I don’t totally regret wasting my youth or athletic abilities.

7 Likes

Absolutely. I heard a thought provoking statement on That Triathlon Show the other week - whatever power you go on the bike, ask yourself if you really could hold power that for the length of time the run takes as well.

Regarding W/kg not super important for IM but a confidence booster for sure - I’m sure you can build that 0.8 in time :+1:

3 Likes

I agree that I don’t need to have massive numbers to stay with a group or bridge a gap like other disciplines, but I am racing a course and racing myself. Mont Tremblant has some climbing and a particularly challenging section at the end of each loop where I will need to hold 300+ for a little bit. I was not disciplined my first time around and saw huge spikes in power.

1 Like

Well, today marked a bit of a milestone for me.
Since I was ill with the dreaded C19 almost a year ago I have struggled with my running.

Tonight I managed to run (all be it slowly) over 10miles.

In fact this was my 1st 10mile+ run since Ironman in 2019

:+1::smile::+1:

17 Likes

Another way of thinking about…there is no such thing as a “great bike” in IM if you have to walk the run.

3 Likes

Oh man, this week is not going well for me. Had a nice bit of fun skiing in the street, but now it’s all ice - pavement, road and pavement - so running is out or at least too risky for me. Only 3 TR sessions planned and missed one yesterday, so I think I’m at a grand total of 55mins and it’s Thursday! :sweat_smile:

The trick last year was having a solid routine, so it’s not the workout I’m lamenting it’s the broken routine - I know it means next few week will be harder to achieve too.

Ice is temporary! Pre-pandemic I would just hit my gym’s treadmills when the streets and sidewalks are a mess. First, watch a Rocky 4 workout montage. Throw on your gray cotton sweat pants (optional…only because that is what Rocky would do), then choose your footwear. Yaktrax, snow shoes, cross country skis, or snow/hiking boots, and then enjoy the outdoors. I don’t stress about speed or specificity as long as I’m getting my heart rate in the right zone for the right amount of time.

2 Likes

Nice touch on the sweatpants. Bad mofo. I’d stay away from that guy on the treadmill runnign 8x1 max intervals…

2 Likes

:white_check_mark: and :white_check_mark:

Watched the first Rocky I with my son (his first viewing being my excuse), listened to Burning Heart and Eye of the Tiger and erm (clears throat) Footloose and jogged it out it my grey sweat pants! :muscle:

3 Likes

Sorted out my FTP today 274 - so a new high for winter and a morale boost. There’s a chance Ive found my trainer/pedal pairing issue too but will hold out for another session or two before I’m sure and can relax.

Ive got some insulation and draft protectors for the garage but it’s unlikely I’ll get them deployed before the worst of the British winter is over. Should help for summer though.

It’s going to be ten (!) degrees warmer next week, with rain, so mixed blessing but I should be able to run on schedule.

3 Likes

This is a good podcast on substitute activities for swimming out the other day:

2 Likes