The Ironman Training 2020 Thread

I started a seperate thread here on it:

I’m having teething problems already…

The symptoms you are describing might also be related to your diet. “Paleo-ish” sounds to me like plenty raw food, little meat and generally less variance? I’m not commenting on the sense or nonsense of any kind of diet, but your situations aligns pretty well with what I’ve been going through earlier this year (apart from the weight gain) and which turned out diet-related. Long story short, I felt severely under-recovered (over-training is a different kind of beast entirely) in large part because of deficiencies in my diet. I had it checked by my GP and had my blood work done and it turned out I ran low on vitamin D, iron and protein on a vegetarian home cooked diet. I fixed it and saw my performance improve again.

Not saying change your diet, but consider this as well and maybe consult with an expert.

2 Likes

Just did Eclipse and boy did it not go well, I have done that workout earlier this year no problem but last night just felt super flat and not able to get going. Maybe tired, stress, or lack of motivation, who knows. Finally able to start running outside now. But part of me is still concerned if i should, I have avoided trails and been running on streets where i cross to the other side if I see someone, but still COVID scares me and with having Asthma I really question is it worth it or am i over reacting. (probably over reacting)

As for a few comments about IMMT in Aug not looking likely, I would be surprised if it does happen to be honest. Right now groups over 5 are not allowed. I foresee the stay home attitude continue to June/July. Even if its somewhat calmed down, thinking about how many people, athletes and families come to IMMT and the village is pretty small. Look at how packed the starbucks is, I don’t foresee them allowing that big of a gathering with international guests coming.

I think once i get the chance to defer to next year i will.

4 Likes

Honestly at this point I don’t think there is such a thing as overreacting. It is serious. Especially considering that keeping distance is basically free.

That said, keep in mind the virus travels in drops and unless people sneeze directly into your face are unlikely to reach outside the 6ft zone.

I’m still running outside, a lot. By myself and mostly on wide farm tracks (which are still unusually busy these days!). Everyone seems aware of the situation and is keeping to the side so that safe passing is possible. This way I feel pretty safe, I just need to get used to using hankeys and not firing snot rockets at the trail side.

2 Likes

Nice work on the FTP gains, 4w/kg is my next FTP milestone.

Similar situaiton here, Outlaw Half has been cancelled in May and I very much doubt the full distance will go ahead in July. I think I’ll drop the tri plans for now and maybe focus on building power on the bike just in case there’s a chance for some races in the back end of the time trial season or maybe some hill climbs :man_shrugging:t2:.

I’m back on the pain train now. After almost a month off the bike, I did an easy ride earlier in the week and then a ramp test yesterday. Down 7% to 265W, so I’m under the 4W/kg barrier again but am hoping to get back up there within a month or two.

My legs feel great when running or biking, but my heart rate is through the roof. Before getting hit my base runs were around 7:45min/mi with my heart rate in the low 130s and now I’m consistently at 160+ even at an 8min pace. It’s amazing what a month off does to your fitness. I’m hoping this will come back quickly as well.

Pic of my old bike below. Still not sure how I didn’t break anything.

Obviously in the market for a new road bike…

6 Likes

Oof. Very glad you got away from that, the bike looks pretty terrifying.

Don’t sweat your running form, your fitness will come back within weeks. Don’t chase it and keep it easy and you’ll get there in no time!

1 Like

I was supposed to do VR1 from Ironman, but seeing so many cheaters in the rankings I lost the motivation to run after doing the biking portion. But im pretty satisfied with the bike, 259W NP, 248W Average and 2:47 for the bike. Im not sure how I can become 17 minutes faster for my goal, but some proper wheels are on the wishlist for sure! But first I will buy a fullsuspension bike and forget about all the cancelled races :cry:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3253215079/overview

3 Likes

I wasn’t sure about doing a roll call this month - a bit negative as so many races cancelled, but maybe the roll call still brings a bit of solidarity for those still training…thoughts?

4 Likes

Still training for Wisconsin 70.3 and IMMT. Both very likely to be cancelled. Actually finished my Base Low volume yesterday and starting Build this week. I think I will raise it to Mid Volume with no more swimming and only short runs outside.

2 Likes

Outlaw hasn’t technically been cancelled yet! :laughing: :sob: :laughing: I might literally drown in the swim though even if it does go ahead.

3 Likes

I mean I’m still training the bike and the run but let’s be honest, it’s 90% in hopes of offsetting the snacking, daily dessert and alcohol, and 10% because I think IMC will happen.

I reckon I’d need about 8 weeks in the pool to feel confident that the swim wouldn’t just set me up for a bad day; chances of that happening? :woman_shrugging:t4: (On the bright side, my hair is getting all glossy now that it’s not being chlorinated regularly!)

3 Likes

Okay, so a bit of a dramatic month last month, I cancelled my marathon plans early but managed to do IMVR.1 last weekend so felt it at least. :slight_smile:

Bike Run Swim Lifting Time
144 270 0 46 07:05:00
62 267 0 05:00:00
134 48 25 59 04:05:00
101 181 0 24 04:45:00
380 230 0 20 09:02:00

I hope everyone is doing well and has their health, this is by no means an encouragement to train beyond what’s reasonable in your country and condition but let’s hear how everyone has been doing training or otherwise :smiley:

Roll call!

3 Likes
Competitor Month Race Type
@baggiebird Postponed Marbella Half
@adriandlh Postponed South Africa Full
@scollett84 ? HIT Endurance Half
@AustinPT Postponed Texas Full
@mitchellgsides Postponed Texas Full
@pstalley Postponed Texas Full
@Sweatyzach Postponed Texas Half
@ThyTri Postponed Pays D’Aix Half
@yannick Postponed Barcelona Half