The Black Bibs: feedback?

I lost a couple pairs of bibs so I thought I’d try a pair of these. I own bibs from 6 or 7 different brands, I don’t consider myself to be very picky at all, All of those brands work just fine for me. But these bibs are just absolutely terrible. The lyrca doesn’t stay close to the skin at all, it wrinkles and rides and bunches up all over the place. The pad is about twice as thick, and twice as soft as any other brand I’ve ever used, so instead of feeling like it’s conforming to your body like other brands, it just feels like you’re wearing a diaper. Not only that, but the pad is in the complete wrong spot. It feels like it’s shifted about 3-4 inches more forward than any other bib, so about half of your contact point of the butt is on the chamois and half is directly on the saddle, which is extremely annoying. The fact that returns aren’t accepted after riding leads me to believe the company knows they are not creating a good product or they would stand behind it.

1 Like

So I wonder if it’s just a QC thing, because I had the exact opposite problem: pad felt like it was shifted way far back.

1 Like

I wrote that exact message above to their customer support and their email back was basically just well they work for pros so you’re wrong :joy::joy:

That’s message is absolutely garbage…
Just because it works for some, doesn’t mean it has to work for you.

I also order a pair… waiting for delivery.
I’m not expecting greatest at this point.

3 Likes

Full disclosure: He did end up just refunding me right after that email.

4 Likes

That response is absolutely appalling. Someone needs a lesson in enhancing Customer Experience. Can you imagine SIDI, Spesh, or Shimano saying “we’re sorry you feel those shoes are too narrow for your foot, but Nairo, Sagan, and Barguil all say they fit them fine”.

3 Likes

There is certainly a lesson for them here. Bad initial customer service and web presence on display. The refund is good, and a public correction is also worthwhile IMO.

2 Likes

You just had them on backwards.

12 Likes

I ordered 1 of the cheaper and also one of the slightly more expensive black bibs several months back, and they have been ok so far. Not as comfy for me as the higher end brands, but not unusable like some of the other really cheap shorts/bibs I’ve tried. I don’t think the better leg grippers are worth the extra $'s though. The cheaper pair seems to be holding its leg opening shape better than than the more expensive version.

1 Like

I just had a similar experience with poor customer service from the Black Bibs.

I sent two emails (one week between each) inquiring about how to process a refund because I wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly and including all of the necessary information. I bought two pairs of the bibs and only wore one, had the gnarliest chafing I’ve ever had in my life, in a place no man wants to chafe even after using a lot of chamois buttr. So I wanted to return the unopened, unused pair.

I did not hear back for nearly three weeks and then decided to message them on FB. I heard back within a day. The person led off their response by saying they didn’t see my emails and then proceeded to tell me that the return info is on my packing slip, email confirmation and their website. Obviously I saw that but I had a specific question about the return which was the reason I reached out.

Maybe I’m overreacting but their communication is poor.

2 Likes

I think this is also pretty much my feeling on them although, they are comfortable enough for me when compared to multiple pairs of Louis Garneau bibs

Following up with this thread.
I got my bib last Thursday. Used them on Friday for Pettite.
Did laundry same day and used them again Saturday for mcaddie

At first, the pad felt large and not really that comfortable. But after 2 rides the pad started feeling better.
I dont have premium bibs, so it would be hard to compare. But for the price, I think is worth it.

If you have the mean to buy something more expensive, maybe i would pass on this.

Something else. I would never ever do a brick run on these, and i have made runs on every single one of my biking shorts ever.

I had a pair as part of normal rotation for a year. I hadn’t done rides longer than 4 hours, in them, but they were perfectly fine. Then one day in the wash the chamois got all bunched up underneath the material. I had done a ride with them like that before I noticed, got a good saddle sore from that. my fault. I did email them and asked if they had ever had anyone have the issue with the chamois moving. I never got a reply. I live in VA not that far from them, and liked supporting local businesses. Got a fantastic jersey from them. Interested in their new adventure cargo bib. But the chamois and lack of reply, have me hesitating and looking for others. Liking my 7mesh I got instead, but of course, those aren’t direct comparisons.

1 Like

I have one pair.

For me the fit is great but the chamois seams cut into my skin on long rides. (literally)

If they ever come out with a seamless chamois, I’d give them another try.

The chamois did the same for me except in an area that you truly don’t want it to happen in.

1 Like

I have two pairs of The Black Bibs that I have been using for a couple of years now. I have always found them comfortable and have been impressed by the quality (especially for the price). I also own a pair of lower end Pearl Izumi and Louis Garneau Bibs, that each cost twice as much as The Black Bibs on sale. The Black Bibs are more comfortable than both these bibs, the materials & construction seem better quality.

This week I purchased my first pair of higher end bib shorts, a pair of Assos T. Mille bibs. These are the least expensive bibs in the Assos line up, but even on sale I could have gotten 2.5 pairs of The Black Bibs. I went on my first ride with the Assos bibs last night and all I can say is WOW!.,I had no idea what I was missing. These things are soooooo comfortable and the materials and build quality is truly impressive, they feel luxurious.

I will defiantly be getting some more Assos bibs and The Black Bibs are getting relegated to short rides and trainer sessions.

4 Likes

Between these new Assos bibs and my new SMP saddle my a$$ has never felt so good on the bike.

4 Likes

Given all the feedback here I decided not to chance it and went the total opposite direction with the Pactimo Stratus 12 hour bibs. $242 MSRP, less 30% off for first time buyers (can send anyone interested a code) but damn are they good. Fit is good, material feels premium, chamois is fantastic, I climbed up Mont Ventoux on zwift and the only thing that didn’t hurt was my cheeks. The chamois also has a fantastic cutout that most others seem not to, really helps. They do have other more affordable options starting at $160 or so per pair.

I will try these first time outside tonight and report

4 Likes

I keep going back to Girodana. I wait until gearup.active has a 20% off the entire site sale and can generally get high end bibs for $120 or less. I’ve tried Skins, Rapha Core, and Kitsbow recently. Only the Kitsbow bibs were close to, or maybe even better than my Girodanas. No deals on their stuff that I know of, but might be worth retail. Also the Kitsbow merino blend jerseys they used to make are some of my favorite pieces of kit for spring, fall, and some of winter. I wish that they would make more race cut stuff again, they’re going the direction of baggy everything and lifestyle brand it seems.

I tried a pair of Black Bibs Ultimate for $80 & they work great for me on the trainer. Pad is dense & in the right place. Bib parts come up to just the right height for my liking -not as high as my last gen Endura Pro SL’s (I like them high) but higher than the Voler Jet FS I tried reently & sent back.

1 Like