The 2019 TrainerRoad Running Thread

I’ve done three marathons in the past in ~3:20 sort of times. Plenty of half marathons, 5 and 10K and 10 miles. I stopped running for a while when children arrived then got serious about cycling. Still cycling a lot but last year did my first half marathon for a while (1:21) and remembered I like running, so did a duathlon last year and have a half marathon coming up in three weeks. Usually just run 3 times a week around the cycling!

2 Likes

Awesome! Please share your experience, I’d love to hear about that race. I might do CCC 100k one day, not anytime soon though!

Have a fun goal to do this run segment, but under 2 hours. Judging by my HR averages, in theory we should be able to do it, but climbing does not always result in high HR. Buddy of mine is an ultra runner, did leadville this past year. What’s crazy is there is a 50 miler on this segment of the AT, and the race winners are cruising along on this segment doing something like 6:30 miles with lots of jagged rocks.

https://www.strava.com/activities/862975550/overview

One of my next door neighbours is amongst the greatest ultra runners in history, she’s in her 70’s and is still much harder than I will ever be.

3 Likes

@JulianM, @abalakov is spot on. Run an ultra and your perspective on the road marathon changes. Run a trail race and your perspective on what is a ‘hill’ changes, sometimes dramatically.

As far as the original post, my running goal this year is to bring down my road marathon time, or more specifically, my IM run time (PR is 3:31 but that was 2001). This means that this year, for the first time in a couple years that I won’t do an ultra. Last year was a 50k in April (4300’ ascent & 2.5mo after cycle crash in Spain & breaking ribs), 70k in May (Mauritius 7900’ ascent, hot & humid), and 45.5k Zermatt Ultra w/ 8000’. (Plus for 2018: Long Course Weekend Wales & IM Wales). 2017 had 5 ultras (53km, 62km w/ 7000’, 45.5 w/ 8000’, 46km w/ 8800’, & 63km w/ 8100’ ascent). 2016 had only one, but it was 69 miles (along Hadrian’s Wall). Before that was back in 2003 and limited to 50k’s.

Ultras will give you endurance and power. Energy demand and pacing on ultras is very different than for a road marathon.

Compared to road races, fondos, gravel rides, road marathons, triathlons (of all distances), I’ve found none compare to the friendliness and camaraderie found at ultras. This is true at the start, during the race, at the aid stations (where you’re expected to come to a full stop and eat, esp when they may be 10 or more miles apart), and at the finish line.

Plus, you get to buy new kit: you’ll need a hydration pack, proper trail shoes, etc.

But at the moment, as my A race isn’t until August, I’m having run with trail runs (10-25mi/wk when I can due to weather, and right now I can in the snow) and focusing on the bike (Full Distance, High Volume) and cross-training in the pool (my strength, which matters little in IM :frowning: ) with endurance sets until training kicks into gear.

I have my A race in 3 weeks. cowtown marathon. I ve been training towards doing a 2:50, but I think im not going to be able to maintain that pace and will have to settle with a 2:55. Im on a 25 week training plan doing 45-50mpw. last year I did the same race as my first marathon ever, and finished with a 3:09, just outside of a BQ. I had a pretty bad positive split, went out to fast and not enough training. I was doing roughly 20-35 mpw.

I did a half marathon in early November in 1:23:12, and a thanksgiving day 5k in 17:23… of which I know I had a 16:5x in me (last mile I backed off because of stomach problem). hopefully those times are indicative of a <2:55 marathon!

Keep all the races and updates coming - whether they are 5k goals or Ultras!

Good luck! So much of the drop off in pace comes down to individual physiology as well as pacing I think, one of the reasons I think Ultras might suit me! Your 5k is a great time, especially if you backed off as well.

@mountainrunner @abalakov You (and others) are definitely selling the idea of Ultra running and it really does appeal. I’ve got 2 goals left to achieve in long course triathlon and after those have hopefully been ticked off I’ll need some other goals. I’m never averse to being forced to buy new kit either! I had been thinking of moving to longer triathlons - particularly Ultraman Hawaii - where I think I could do well but maybe Ultra running is it…

@Simo429 It never pays to underestimate people as they age. Their history and backstories are often incredible and we have a lot to learn from others experiences.

@Bioteknik Nice goal. Looks like a great run to have as a target. It doesn’t have to be a race to find something to get your teeth into!

1 Like

Believe me, we live in a little village and everyone knows her, fell off her bike broke her hip and within a few weeks she was on a cross trainer.

Sort of person that you speak to and learn something from every time.

1 Like

Who is this mystery neighbour?

I’d not put a name up here because its not fair without permission. She’s still an age group winning duathelete though.

1 Like

Go and knock on her front door and get her permission :wink:

1 Like

I have a goal of doing an IM 70.3 in late ‘18 or early ‘19. I have not picked the venue yet and have been focused thus far on prepping for the Leadville 100 MTB race in August. I’m running weekly but fairly low volume as I’m trying to get back/build my FTP on the bike.

On to the question…

I noticed this last fall and again this spring. I can cruise along in Z2 keeping my HR under 135, maybe even under 130 on cool days (my max is 180). I’ve gotten to where I can run these zone 2 type runs around the sub 9:00 minute mark, down from 11-12 minute miles in about 4 months. The problem is when the weather warms up. It’s not even close to hot here in Texas but we got to 79 this weekend and my same run saw my pace slow to 9:30 and my HR all the way up to 155.

Is this normal? Is this something that being in better running shape helps eliminate? I feel that if I want to run Z2 and it’s 90 degrees F outside, I’m going to have to slow down to an unbearable pace.

Any tips or advice?

3 to 4 hours a week of running, road and off road mix with my long run up to 2 1/2hrs. 4 Strength training days a week, one or two swims to tick over and one or two 90min indoor bike a week.

My experiment is to see if I can still improve by FTP and or get back to triathlon race pace in a few weeks at short notice when I feel I want to do a Olympic or middle distance triathlon.

Only events are two weeks I have half marathon trail race and March a 20 mile road race

1 Like

A higher HR in higher temperatures isn’t unusual but if it’s where you live you may be better habituated to the heat than those who live in a colder climate normally.

It can be a sign of other things though, my HR tends to be higher as well when less fit, carrying a couple of extra kg’s in the off season or recovering from, or building up to an illness.

When you say you have a goal of doing a 70.3, does this mean you are relatively new to running? That could play a part too as a difference from a HR of 130 to 155 is fairly large.

Yes, I ran for pay (military) for 4 years in my 20’s. I was never a speedster but could crack out a few sub 6 miles with the right motivation and ran quite a few half marathon distances (even in boots lol).

I dropped running until my 40’s and now sub-7 for a few miles would be about as good as it gets for me but I have been running (3 times a week between 2 and 8 miles) since last August to get to this point. So yes, I don’t run a lot (yet) as my primary training blocks are bike focused but I will continue to run some every week throughout the spring/summer until I make it my primary focus this fall.

That said, I’m just very surprised by the way the heat effects my running. It has an impact on the bike I suppose but nothing too noticeable and probably not until the dog days of summer arrive.

Everything tends to be amplified running because of it’s weight bearing nature - it’s harder on the body than riding.

I’d just keep an eye on how things progress and hopefully you’ll see the numbers get closer together with more running over time.

im in dallas and finishing up a marathon training plan. I will see pretty decent swings in HR when its hot outside vs the cold. in the summer i’m easily a minute per mile slower then I am right now. (I cruise on easy runs from 7:00-8:20/mi @Z2).

not as hot as texas here, but each spring when temps are cool I start thinking that I’m going to work down to a nice training pace of low 7 minute miles while in April and mornings are a cool 50-60 degrees. Then May/June hits and I’m running outside in the mid 70’s, but with a dew point only 1-2 degrees lower than actual temperature. Pace falls off for the most part by a good 15-20 seconds per mile until we start getting some cool temps in September.

I’m curious if those higher altitude peeps who talk about their higher FTP at sea level would handle some real sea level conditions instead of 50% humidity parts of California.

One other question…

Treadmill recommendations? I know that’s pretty open ended but any recommendations for something that will last?

Tough question: think about budget, space availability and smart functionality… Without any constraints I would look into Technygym MYRUN.