That triathlon show discusses what sort of training causes mitochondria generation

This podcast caught my ear because we were discussing the topic on this forum not long ago.

Although there is much more info contained in this podcast (including discussing the merits/flaws of TSS, low glycogen training, physiologic response to two-a-day workouts, and more) the discussion surrounding mitochondria was most interesting.

To summarize…
1.) There is a lot that is just not known. Studying blood and intramuscular ph dominated exercise science for a long time. It’s only w/in the last decade that researchers re-focused on mitochondria.
2.) This guy thinks volume leads to mitochondrial genesis. As in, more time on the bike.
3.) This guy thinks that work at or around VO2max ‘tunes up’ existing mitochondria. Or upregulates the activity of already existing mitochondria.

This is my own summary of the podcast. Who knows if my listening comprehension can be trusted or not…so give it a listen yourself. Alternatively, just shoot from the hip and make whatever comment suits you. :stuck_out_tongue: This is the internet, so…

6 Likes

Dude…perfect…lol. Hahah.

Thanks for the link, though. Definitely a very interesting topic. :muscle:t3:

If you want to know about Mitochondria I’d listen to this:

3 Likes

Can you help me out here? I can’t find any papers on Pubmed by San Millán on mitochondrial adaptations to training. In fact, he seems to have only published one original paper back in 2014. Am I somehow missing something?

I didn’t post the link to the Inigo podcast but here are some references:

At the time that podcast was first posted (in another thread) I commented that there was as much pathology as there was performance in the podcast. There’s not a lot of discussion on that podcast regarding what kind of training induces what kind of changes to mitochondria.

That thread is here:

@bbarrera also linked a few articles by Inigo in that thread.

Thanks, without the hyphen those handful didn’t show up in my search. Still, none of them seem to involve actually studying mitochondria?

ask @Supermurph19

He posted the link…I’m just letting you know how to do the author search on Pubmed…and that there isn’t a whole lot of info regarding mitochondrial genesis in that podcast.

If I’m following the plot, I believe a lot of the ground breaking lactate and mitochondria research was done at UC Berkeley by Prof George Brooks George A. Brooks | Research UC Berkeley and if not someone will come along and correct me. Hope that helps.

I posted the link because the podcast had a lot to do with mitochondria, I thought it might compliment this thread. It’s an interesting podcast but on listening today it’s not perhaps ideal from a training adaptation stand point.

1 Like

You’ve earned my high reputation score so I just rebuilt my entire 2020 plan around your summary… Should I have not done that?

2 Likes

John Holloszy once accused Brooks of setting back understanding of exercise biochemistry by 100 years.

1 Like

You weren’t entirely wrong. Brooks has done a lot of “groundbreaking” lactate research. The question is whether he’s dug up a gold mine or a sewer line.

Answer:

5 Likes