Tall rider and steep climbs

Such a fun and challenging climb. Traction is just short of limitless on the rocks, so the real work is in power delivery and the technical steps along the way, while maintaining a decent line on a really steep pitch, especially the final kick/step at the top.

1 Like

I’m 193cm and use zero setback, it depends on having a frame with enough reach. Lots of brands don’t do a frame long enough ( max
58cm effective top tube or even less)

I do find the front wheel lifts when it’s very steep, only found it a problem once on a rough >25% with oncoming traffic!

1 Like

Yep. Need to keep power delivery smooth, and not let the steps bump your front wheel into a wheelie.

1 Like

That’s what I was doing it on! Lee would have told you to stand up straighter and put your head up more (he told me that about 100 times :smiley:).

Like almost straight arms you’re so tall.

2 Likes

Glad you did, because that info was super helpful to me (for reasons only tangentially related to the thread topic), so thank you!

2 Likes

Yeh - I was on 34/32 and was stood up for the majority of the climb up Hardknott. I actually found Wrynose to be more sketchy due to the road surface.

1 Like

Agree with that - and the descent from Wrynose was frankly terrifying as a result…

I really can’t recall whether I climbed Hardknott and Wrynose standing or seated (I’m 6’2”) but I don’t recall any issues with front wheel lift - more of an issue for me on short but steep MTB climbs on loose surfaces, where you need weight over the back for traction.