Switching from Wahoo to Garmin?

Yep I can only go with my experiences and the Garmin support is poor in this part of the world. The Garmin did connect and work with my P Tap pedals but I wanted it specifically to use with MTB. My Roam had delamination issues and that is partly why I decided to buy the garmin but I contacted Wahoo and they sent me a new replacement in a matter of days. No issues with dropouts etc on the Wahoo just poor GPS and Navigation in the forest.

1 Like

My one time experience of Garmin support has been fantastic.

I had a Garmin watch that caused me skin irritation. They replaced it for a different model and when that resulted in the same issue, they refunded me the full price that I paid from the retailer.

I couldnā€™t fault them on that.

That was Garmin UK.

1 Like

UK Garmin support is ok but not as good as it was. My original Edge 305 failed 3 or 4 years. When I phoned them up and described the problem, they said it was a common one and would replace it out of warranty. I lost an old 1000 before I started using a tether. I searched for ages and eventually found it pressed into the tarmac and smashed to smithereens. But I am glad I the charge to replace it was very reasonable. A year later though the replacements power button crumbled on my LEJOG but there had been a policy change and the replacement cost had went up threefold. A year later the replacement for the replacement suffered the same problem (disintegrating power button). When I phoned them up they quoted me the same what I considered an exuberant cost for something that was failing the same way every year. I put that too them and mentioned an upgrade. They went away and when they came back they offered me the 1030 for about Ā£50 less. More than likely if they hadnā€™t done something like that I would have jumped to Wahoo but hearing about it off road in-abilities its maybe a good job I didnā€™t.

I switched from a Wahoo ELEMNT BOLT to a Garmin 830 and havenā€™t looked back. The BOLT functioned well enough for its primary purpose. I didnā€™t lose any rides or data. Device connection was rock solid. However, syncing the completed workout was spotty and was dependent on the firmware version.

Aside from needing improved mapping and navigation functions, what really drove me to switch was the live tracking function. More than a few times, the live tracking showed I was stopped for a prolonged time during a ride which obviously caused concern for my significant other. I understand this could be caused a number of things, but Iā€™ve not encountered this issue since switching to the Garmin.

That alone was worth the switch, but Iā€™m finding some other perks in the Garmin ecosystem including the ConnectIQ app platform. I use a Garmin Varia radar and thereā€™s a handful of apps that can be uploaded to the head unit such as displaying the Varia battery status, number of cars that have passed on your ride, etc.