Sweet Spot Progression

Definitely, in my AeT rides with 150bmp limiter, the average for the whole duration is between 139-144.

Given that my HR at threshold is around 177-180, I have to keep my expectations in check. If somehow I can do it I’ll mean my FTP increased in the off-season :rofl:. Or my previous estimate was too low.

1 Like

Personally, at 44 and “only” riding ten hours a week, I have the most success with two SST and a tempo ride along with Z2. When I was doing three long SST workouts, I would fatigue pretty quickly. This base season I carried the SST + tempo + Z2 consistently without issue.

5 Likes

Just completed a rest week and started testing week (following WKO protocols/rides) to build out the model.
mFTP has gone from 301 to 336. This is far and away the largest increase i’ve ever seen since i’ve started testing/riding and is 60+w over what I last raced with.
Dreading what these next workouts are going to look at, especially when old threshold is the new SST.

4 Likes

Yep, me too but i think i can cope with it for 4 weeks until roads are clean enough for outdoor rides. Then I’ll switch back to 2x extra-hard SS + 4x AE rides.

1 Like

What were you doing on the non-SST days?
Reading some of the posts from others it always appears that people are trying to do too much (ie. tempo) on the non-SST days and then just slowly run themselves into the ground.

Nothing but Z2. And when I say long, I mean trying to do 75, 75, 90 in one week. Probably outside factors too. But this season I managed a four day block of 75-90 tempo-recovery-3x30. But that was near the end of a block. For me, two long SST days is good with a tempo ride and the rest Z2. But seemed like 3 long SST was a bit too much. Maybe I could handle it now, but didn’t need to either.

I just smashed out a 2:30 PDC test today after some recovery the last few days… every all time PR from like 1:08 to 3:0Xsomething coming out of my SST block with just a little bit of threshold and O/U work… and about six weeks off COVID. So that’s nice.

Time to bring the VO2max noise.

4 Likes

So guys… what is your sweet spot HR? My cycling HRMax is 196. I feel that my SS avg is about 83% (162) and peak (ususlly at the end of last interval is up to 87% (170).

I validated (with lactate testing) that the values are bellow my MLSS but not how much.

I followed the general theme/ comments within this thread to aim for a cap of about 85% of MaxHR when doing my 6 week SST progression block out to 1x90 @ 90% FTP.

2 Likes

Nice work! What/how much prep do you do between resting and testing?

How do you plan your threshold work? I am looking for an approach of a 8 week FTP increase block. Lost some 20w due to covid 2 months ago. Should I focus on SST progression? Or should I focus on FTP or vo2max work? After that 8 week block I have a training camp and then 3 weeks to my Gran Fondo’s…

This is a good target. Since the dynamics below threshold are linear, HR % should match power %, ideally.

I did a long over under workout on Monday to close the block. Then recovery rides Tuesday and Weds, Thursday off. Friday 90 min low Z2 with 5x30s openers at around 120%. Short power tests Saturday.

After VO2max work I’ll rest more than that.

Before running any longer tests I want to get some work in my legs so I’m not stale, so I usually do those early in a training block.

Coming off COVID a SST/temp block is perfect to get things right. Once you get your progression where you want it, intro some threshold and over/under work. You’ll get right quick, IMO. All said not knowing anything about your history, just a solid approach IMO.

1 Like

My LTHR seems to be around 158bpm
My SST work is all around 140-145bpm depending on duration and how long the session is (starts to increase near long sessions just due to fatigue/fuelling).

I follow the Cusick (extensive) recommendation of growing duration and keeping power the same.
Starts with sorting out mFTP properly, but once I have that dialled I’ll do 2-3 sessions a week, aiming to start at TTE and grow to 150-200% TTE over the block.

ie. if TTE is 35min, and FTP is 300w.
5x8min - 40min TiZ
4x10min - 40min Tiz
3x12min - 36min
3x15 - 45min
5x10min - 50
3x18min
2x20
2x25
4x15
3x20 - 60min Tiz
3x25 - 75min Tiz 200% goal
4x20…
3x30…
etc.

Depending on how you are adapting you can always jump progression steps early on, the goal is to progress relatively quickly, but some people really struggle adapting to the work so i’ve provided some steps, and some even take you back a bit in terms of total TiZ with the goal of growing interval duration.

edit:
I’ll add all intervals are with 5min rest between, no more. Depending on which day I am doing them on I’ll then tack on some true zone 2 (middle of the range not top) to get a total workout time in.

4 Likes

Are we going to start a support group for the next 3 weeks? Will there be meetings?

2 Likes

Seriously… it’s that time of year. At least you, me, and @PattyP are starting this coming week.

2 Likes

I Will not enter this one yet but Will follow it :wink:

2 Likes

Post your blocks.
I need to build mine this afternoon after I finish my last two tests.

1 Like

I’m at a crit ATM. I can post when I get home.