Sweet Spot Progression

I do have some references based on past season. The caveat is that I often don’t know what my FTP is, it could have been anywhere from 240-260 at 67-70kg.

So this was 1h35m at ~86% power and ~82% of HR max…I did very little SS up to this point last year.

Yes that would be nice!

I’m starting 3 weeks of VO2 myself, tomorrow, for the first time. Should be an interesting experiment but so far the SST and FTP work I’ve been doing has yielded some great results on endurance, fatigue resistance and FTP. Hoping that the pure VO2 works dramatically raises the ceiling!

1 Like

The first two weeks I’m kind of forced into the M-W-F format because I’m working. The final week is my first week of a career change to full time coaching… more ride time all week, so I’m scheduling it as a 3X stack, but will play that by ear. Everything else will be low- to mid-Z2 or recovery riding.

Last season I started at 18min (3x6’) and progressed to 20-21min shortening the intervals along the way. This season I’m going to try adding an interval, ending up at 24-25min each session (I haven’t changed the last week yet). We’ll see how that goes. If it’s too much, I will back it down to the 20-21 min sets. I want to make sure each interval is quality, first and foremost. If that means doing fewer (the same as last season), then so be it.

I will also play the progression by ear. I simply scheduled out doing each workout twice for now. If I can hang in for one more, I will. If I’m dying after the first one, then I’ll step it down. The scheduled workouts are fungible. :slight_smile:

Also, there is no chance in hell I’m doing that race. :rofl: That was pre-COVID delaying my block.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing the block. I’m working to a similar process, but M/T/W throughout the 3 weeks.

I have entered a road race March 20th, so hoping 2-3 weeks of rest is enough to get my legs back to normal as I’ve never done a block like this before so unsure how I’ll respond!

Some advice on my progression start today?
Current mFTP (indoor) = 251W and TTE=38:16
But I had covid for 10 days begin of december. So my (new) period started on 12 December (but in my PDC I have some numbers before my C19 case, and they were not that bad because I peaked to a race end November). So…When only taken into account my new mFTP at 237W I have a TTE of 41:58. But I did not really tested my PDC properly. A few lower zwift race intervals but no really longer effort (20min or so…).
I was thinking of doing a 2x20min 90% SST today, but should I choose 252 or 237W as my FTP?
Or better do a structured 20min test and maybe also a medium duration test so that my PDC is as accurate as possbile?

Always choose lower, and then extend longer if its too easy during the intervals.
Way better than blowing up.

1 Like

Use a HR limiter and see where power ends up. Q

2 Likes

OK, thx for the replies. I have a test planned this thursday so normally I have my PDC lined up again for the next workouts…

any reason not to just test today?

Euh? Lazy? :slight_smile: No really…I have more time to ride today and Wednesday a rest day, so would be more fresh to do the 20min loger duration test. But I could also be not be a sissy and just do it today :wink:

You’ll likely be recovered, but you may not have realized the gains from the block yet.

We talking circa 6 weeks to see the gains?

Yeah, I think so. You’ll notice some things right away - lower HR in your zone 2 rides right after the block is pretty common, especially if you’ve never done it before.

1 Like

Thanks. Looks like I need to start my VO2 block on 28th Feb latest then to be in the shape I want to for club training camp in Spain at end of April! Mid way through FTP TTE progression so should align…

1 Like

when you have done a vo2 block. Do you have to go back to SST or FTP workouts?

Depends on your goals. Basically after vo2 max block you can see increase in your FTP and reduction of TTE. And there is also a case of timing - if not sst or ftp (or generally aerobic training) do not know what would you do rest of the year :wink:

2 Likes

starting half feb with trainingraces and around half april-mei the first criteriums.

You don’t have to, it depends on the goal. If you’re looking to push FTP up, then yes. An aerobic build after your VO2 work will fill the cup. But you can build a stronger high power component with a higher aerobic ceiling as well - a rising tide lifts all boats. More of your high power efforts become aerobic preserving glycogen… push higher power longer….

2 Likes

FWIW, after my VO2 block recovery, I’ll do a block of FTP work, then planning a sustained high power block focused on lactate clearance and tolerance. Lots of 5-8 min efforts above FTP, some over unders, lots of Z2 and recovery. Then anaerobic build to polish things off into peak.

1 Like