Sweat damage to phones in jersey pockets?

I have almost 6,000 miles on my iPhone 7+ this year alone in a ziplock bag no issues. This is my 4th season with this phone and baggy combo. I’m in Texas so plenty of heat and humidity but zero issues.

2 Likes

Not the same at all.

One part of a previous job was testing to ISO climatic standards for electronic equipment. Choose to ignore my comment about creating a mini climatic chamber if you wish with a plastic bag but it has a good chance of biting you in the butt.

As dictated tested protected case is a good way to go, they normally let moisture out (so no condensation) but not in.

There is also the option of a 3mm blanking plug and a rubber USB or lighting connector grommet. About 90p for a set of both on Amazon.

Re: the ziplock or plastic bag Wiggle used to give them away at events, I used one got caught in a thunder storm or two on a humid day… it was the end of my phone.

Cling film is actually better as you don’t trap moisture in on a humid day.

Of course sweat is worse than water.

Terrible for the environment tho. A lot of companies sell a thicker reusable one for only like $10.

1 Like

I don’t doubt that you have tested these things but honestly I have to put this in the same classification as the dork disc that comes on a new bike. Someone somewhere thought it was a good idea but I don’t see too many of them on bikes in the wild because it’s one of the first things people remove from their bikes.

I have used literally the same baggie for years with the same iPhone. I’ve actually fallen in knee deep water several times with the same bag and phone combo and zero issues ever.

People will spend their money however they want and if you want to buy a customized phone baggie then by all means buy one. You absolutely do not need it however.

1 Like

I wouldn’t buy one. I just put my phone with the screen and finger print scanner facing out away from my body. i.e back of my phone to my back and phone length across my back.

I use this one from Silca.

https://silca.cc/products/borsa-americana-essentials-bag

Glad to hear you’re a Pixel user so am I best phones ever. I use some kinda jersey phone case I have few of them, always good way to go plus makes more room for other things help keep things organized. When come to pixel phones I have pixel 3 still running like I just bought it. With pixel 5 so close to coming out I would compare it with the 4a then make your choice.

1 Like

Ziplock bag. Don’t overcomplicate it. about $0.03. I use about 2 a year

1 Like

Nothing wrong with the good old and trusty ZipLock. I just had a talent to break them every couple of weeks…

So the switch to a dedicated bag had also (for me) environmental reasons. Additionally I really like that my phone wallet has a internal zipped compartment for keys - no worries about scratching my phone. Also I find it way easier and quicker to open / close than the ziplock. It’s way tidier than my Ziplock bag used to be and easier to get in and out of the jersey pocket.

After naming countless reasons for the wallet - I have to admit the main reason or at least a quite important is probably the looks. I like pretty stuff. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use the Rapha essentials case, love it. I used to use plastic bags, but the essentials case is much easier to get my phone out t take photos while riding and keeps my phone dry even in the rain

2 Likes

Wow I love this forum. Thank you all for 30+ replies!

I should add, I really like being able to pull my phone out and quickly shoot a photo or skip/pause audio with one hand, then put it back in the pocket. That’s why I am reluctant to go back to ziplock, and all these great looking essentials cases also seem like “stop and use two hands” operations.

Maybe a handlebar bag is my best bet. Then I don’t have to worry about the sweat at all.

I always like digging around in my Ziploc near the finish line when I’m waiting for the rest of the field to finish. :wink:

Kidding aside I get it but it’s in my pocket so I don’t really care. I have another version that holds 2 CO2’s, a tire lever, a valve core, a tire boot, some bacon and a small chunk of microfiber towel. I think it might be older than my phone baggie. It looks terrible but it sits in my jersey pocket so I never see it unless something mandates me having to pull it out. Ironic that I don’t like under the seat bags but I’m cool with Ziplocs because I never see them. :man_shrugging:

No issues with my iPhone 11 Pro (no case) in my back pocket in the Texas heat and humidity, including through rain showers. I try to remember to put it in screen facing out and ports facing down, but often forget.

Is there an otterbox or similar waterproof case you could get for your phone? A lot of times you can find phone cases pretty cheap on amazon and eBay.

I’ve ridden for years with an iPhone 5, then 6, then 8 in my jersey pocket with no waterproof case or ziplock. No problems at all. Including during some downpours.

My S9 Plus has withstood 1.5 years exposure to sweat/rain with no issues. I make an effort to protect it if I’m carrying a bag, but I don’t worry about it if not.

That said, I have heard that USB ports can be difficult to waterproof, as was the case with early Polar M430 watches. Hence their switch to a proprietary port as mine has.

YMMV

I have a relatively basic Otterbox Commuter case on an iPhone 8 and ride with it in my back pocket on almost every single ride without issue. I make sure to put the screen facing away from my back and the case has a plug for the charging port. If it’s going to rain I put it in a ziplock though. Haven’t had a single issue with it in years and years of doing this.

I been using Ziploc bags for over four years. Mostly fair weather but got caught twice in a heavy down pour. Also I went down three times during this period ( t-boned a buck and did a somersault over the horns, being stupid and fell over the tracks trying to navigate around a parked passenger car, and stuck and plowed by a minivan) and didn’t get a scratch on my phone.

Edit: forgot to add that I also keep my wallet and keys in the same Ziploc bag. Phone back to my back with wallet over the glass and keys arranged to match the length of the phone.

Haven’t ever destroyed a phone but have managed to call 911 or change my phone to Spanish all in my pocket unknown to me during the ride. Phone goes in my top tube bag now. I’m in Texas, so this is pretty much a year round problem. I also worry about the fact that the phone/battery gets super hot in my pocket.

1 Like

There is one important feature that makes the rapha-essential type cases better than ziplock bags or naked phones: the texture of the case keeps the phone in the jersey pocket in case of a crash. Sometimes even a big bump on road or singletrack may eject a naked, slippery phone from the pocket.

1 Like