Sustained Power Build High Volume --- too hard?

Similar to the SSB plans, the Sunday workout can be substituted for a long Z2 ride. Specific workouts are recommended in the notes for that week in the plan description. I think i remember them saying on the podcast that the SSB plans originally called for this long Z2 instead of the SS Sunday WO, but that they got significantly more compliance with the shorter SS WO. I would imagine something similar is happening with the build plans.

I just started SPB HV (first week) and I am planning on swapping that Sunday WO for long Z2. Presuming I make it that far :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yep. And remember that base2 is after a 5 week block for base1. For much of the racing I do, I feel like I am close to peak at the end of SSBHV2. I’ll gain some high end and recovery capability in the first block of build, but I’m only adding a handful of watts to my FTP during build. The second block of build I almost feel is a wash. Maybe it’s just too much fatigue for me personally, but I really feel like I’m at my best after my first build block (and I’ve gotten my best race results and power numbers at the end of build 1). Specialty phase has not really moved the needle for me, it seems like I’m flat at best and possibly loosing some endurance with the decreased workload.

1 Like

What about dropping to MV at full FTP instead of continuing with HV with lowered FTP?

2 Likes

I’d do both. drop to MV and lower FTP, just a bit. maybe 5%.
I’ve seen too many people do Sweet spot workouts, where their heart rate is > 85% of heart rate.
Or tempo becoming sweet spot.
Or threshold workouts becoming vo2 workouts.
Lower your FTP.

1 Like

Although it might not be fully apparent from their data, I feel comfortable speculating that the highest fitness gains would be more highly correlated (negatively) with riding experience and experience with structured training. Basically two different types of newbie gains.

Or do a 45-60 minute test and use that for your FTP.

3 Likes

Yes, this is a good idea. Make sure you leave your ego at the door.

Also, isn’t there a selection bias here. Like, the people who complete the plans are people for whom the plans work

3 Likes

I don’t buy the argument that some people can handle a high volume plan, and some can’t. What I think really happens is that those who’s FTPs are rising rapidly can handle these plans because their FTP is already too low 1/4 way through the plan. If your FTP has started to level out, and you’re actually doing these workouts at the prescribed IF, the overwhelming intensity of mid and high volume plans starts to show itself. You are a perfect example of this.

5 Likes

I have. Had to drop carpathian peak +3 7% or so to finish and came very close to calling it quits on some of the longer supra threshold intervals, but stayed compliant. I commute by bike daily so I dropped all the petits from the plan since I didn’t need extra z1/2 time in 1hr blocks. I’d usually sub the endurance ride with Z2 outside or occasionally drop it in favor of an extended commute. I’m sure my FTP is accurate.

It’s hard, no doubt. There were a couple workouts that felt harder than races I’ve done.

I think this is mostly a miles-in-legs thing. Simply takes years to build up the ability for your legs to take that abuse day in and day out, and even when they’re heavy still be able to get the blood going and knock out a workout.

Gonna do it again here shortly, but like others have done I think I’ll take the 3 really hard workouts a week and do more endurance outside stuff for the rest of it since it’ll start warming up here soon and I want to increase my time volume some.

Patrickhill has just made the point that I wanted to make yesterday but couldn’t be bothered to type.

Probably true. But even then, is this really a good plan?

Agree. Seems to be in line with the decline we see in grand tour riders. Age 32 or 33 seems to be the top for most winners and Cadels Evans win is a complete anormally in recent times.

Youngest and oldest winners | ProCyclingStats

So a combination of being gifted (+ probably young) and not yet quite developed? Actually, that explanation makes a lot of sense.

I just finished 8 weeks of Sustained Power Build High Volume. I got very solid gains, but I also adjusted the plan quite a lot. e.g. I didnt the the SS on Sunday once, always changed it fot easy group ride at endurance pace.

Its a solid base for a plan but needs to be adjusted for for each individual.

The last week was particulary brutal, vo2 6x4min on Tuesday, 4x10min at 105% on Thursday. And threshold on Saturday 4x15min. No chance I would have finished that threshold on Saturday, gave up mid first interval. But you always need to feel it out a bit:) thats part of the training and separetes amatures from pros, knowing when to push and when to rest.

1 Like

That has been my experience in the past.

If your FTP/fitness improvements are out racing the plans progression you are fine. If the plans progression is more aggressive than your fitness gains you’ll be toast.

“ Once you’ve chosen the Plan itself, it is time to determine what Volume is right for you. Each plan has a High, Mid, and Low Volume version, and the version you choose will largely depend on a few key factors: time availability, lifestyle stressors, training history, age, and recovery profile.”

“ If you train harder, you get faster, right? It might seem logical, but increasing volume and intensity can overwhelm your ability to recover, and may even lead to burnout or injury.”

2 Likes

I just did, with FTP based on a 50min TTE test. Had to turn up intensity for the shorter VO2 workouts. Last year, I think I dug a hole with SPB based on Ramp Test FTP: VO2 workouts alright, suprathreshold was a sufferfest.

My two takeaways:

• know your rider/power profile and realize it might not be possible to base all workouts just off one single number

• Consider this: you may be able to complete SPB, but have you really absorbed all the training stress? (My personal jury is still out on this one. During the Build I felt good, now in the recovery week - mentally fresh, legs not quite there yet).

Luckily, MV and HV differ mostly in the length/number of intervals. Structure of the programs is the same (in contrast to SSB where the concepts are very different).

So you can switch between the two, if needed, or create your custom in-between solution.

Then it’s up to you which one you start with.

Also decide which are the key workouts of the week which need full focus and compliance. I’d say in SPB HV, these are Tuesday (VO2), Thursday (Suprathreshold).

Then, on a lower level: Saturday (Threshold).
Sunday (Endurance instead of SS if you’re talking about the default being too intense).

Nail VO2/Suprathreshold, move one of them to Saturday to tackle it fresh, if needed. Fill remaining days with Endurance.

Or start out with MV move towards HV as you progress and get to know your capabilities.

I don’t think you’ll be able to nail if perfectly the first time around, there will always be learnings.

1 Like

Man…I’m in mid volume sustained power roght now. Got through the first week, completed all the workouts, felt great. I started the second week…and every workout started getting harder and harder. Got through tues and wed, barely. Got through most of thursday (the long saturday suprathreshold one…I swap thirsday and saturday workouts)…lowered intensity on the last interval to just barely above threshold to get through, and scrapped the extra endurance work at the end - I was wrecked. Did a light 45 minute spin yesterday…and now sitting here really debating whether I A) have it in me to do a threshold workout, and B) whether it even be smart to force myself through it if I could.

At this point I’m leaning towards just taking the weekend off, ramp test on tuesday, and start a plan that is a bit more humane lol.

How does TR define “compliance”?

And how does TR measure “fitness gains”?

My (perceived) FTP did jump during the plan but I manually increased it 5% in Wk3. There were no free watts.

Not a lot of sense, at all. I completed the plan and I’m not gifted, young, or newb. I also added workouts to the plan. Recovery was the key to my “success”.

1 Like

Yes, I really struggled with SPBMV, whereas I was fine doing SSBMV, and managed Build phase after that with a few sessions where I had to reduce the intensity a little.
I don’t really see the point of the SPBHV plan .Even the pros do not train like this. They do more long rides in z 2 to increase the volume , so their Training 20 hours /week is not all intensity.
I do see the point of the SSBHV, because most of the sessions are below Threshold pace, and where it goes above threshold they are short intervals or over under type.
Having listened to the haywire heart podcast, I am aware that my struggle through SPB was probably not the best for my heart. My husband developed arrythmia and had to stop running training (but could do z1&2) but gave up racing. I’m not implying the OP should be concerned . Just something to be aware of particularly in older athletes.