Supersapiens - continuous blood glucose monitoring

CGM for the general population (non diabetics) is coming. Has anybody else been using glucose monitoring to augment their training? Up until now I’ve been using test strips but continuous would be a game changer with the increased sampling frequency. Previously when dexcom ruled the landscape it was prohibitively expensive, but the freestyle libre system has really brought the prices of these systems down. It’s only a matter of time before it’ll be available for purchase in the drug store like glucose test strips. Any experience or thoughts?

1 Like

I think these are a neat technology. Looking at the marketing site, they seem to be positioning as a guide for workout fueling? I’m a little skeptical of that angle, but perhaps some pathological metabolic states will be detectable. I think the real value of CGMs will be for the sedentary masses. If we put a CGM on your average “healthy” American we’d find that actually half of them undiagnosed diabetics (ie, BG way out of range after meals), it’s just no one ever checks anything other than their fasted state – once or twice a year at the doctors office. Again, athletes are more likely to be healthy in this regard, but it’s hardly a guarantee. Once people can see what specific foods are doing their blood glucose, the conversation then turns to an uncomfortable confrontation of carbs.

But there’s still blind spots. Fructose won’t show up at all on a BG meter, or CGM (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease might be your first hint). And it’s not that all carbs are bad… some people seem to be able to get away with eating whatever they want while others have to be very selective about which carbs they eat.

1 Like

Interesting…Suprasapiens just seems to be the app, while the device is the Abbott Freestyle Libre…seems like it is basically the same device as the existing diabetes system, but “repurposed” for athletic use with the necessary “not for medical use” claims.

Abbot Freestyle is not CGM you have to flash it to get a reading.

Was just about to post this too. Interested to hear people’s thoughts

Could you expand on this? I don’t know what you mean by “flash”.

Thanks.

He’s mistaken. It is a continuous monitoring of blood glucose. It’s just that the data is not transmitted in real time, like the dexcom models. You have to “flash” it by waving a reader close to the probe to be able to pull the info. In Europe I think you can just use a smartphone and app, whereas in the US they haven’t approved the app yet.

More than anything I’ve found measuring bg has the potential to be pretty useful training and diet tool. Kinda like a food diary. I don’t feel like I would need to keep a food diary all the time, but when I’m not achieving certain goals, having the data allows me to analyze where things can be improved.

Even though it doesn’t get to directly measure fructose, since our diets of fructose usually consist of sucrose and is rare to have pure fructose, it’s more of the relative increase in blood sugar after a meal or pre workout I’m interested in. Also the area under the curve analysis of some meals has me avoiding those particularly unhealthy meals. It’s nice to get immediate feedback on your diet whereas weight and body fat% are metrics on a greater time lag.

I wonder if they have figured out any algorithm based insight into the patterns of bg before you bonk. I doubt it though.

I agree about slapping this onto the average American. So many will suffer from pre diabetes and type 2 diabetes. It’ll probably be pretty lucrative to gamify it into an effective diet plan.

Yes, you are incorrect and your information is outdated.

Version 3 has also just been approved.

Er, don’t think so…

Read this before you start telling people they’re wrong…

Unlike a continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) system, flash does not have an alarm for hypo or hyper warnings.

With a CGM, your sugar levels are always visible on the screen of your receiver. With flash, you use the reader to scan the sensor when you want to see your levels.

That’s the difference. :slight_smile:

GCM transmits data all the time which you can read - so you don’t have to wave something near it to collect data since the last time you waved something near it. If that makes sense. Flash collects data until you then read that data - massive difference if you’re living with type 1 or your partner has type 1. The CGM will usually show trends and can warn you - the flash device will not as you have to collect the data first.

Sorry - you should check that out - you still need to flash to get all the readings, they’re not displayed continuously but it does have alarms. Still doesn’t meet the definition of a CGM device.

“Compatible reader
Required for use to scan your
FreeStyle Libre 2 sensor and view
your glucose readings!”

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

You’ve also had the v2 in the USA longer than here in the UK as it’s just been launched here - but basically you still have to scan to get the stored data. So if you wanted to use it for training you’d either have to scan it all the time or wait until the end.

Sorry if I seem rather harsh here - my wife has type 1 and runs and has a GCM device so we’ve looked into what’s available here in the UK in great depth. It may well be that the USA has different definitions to stretch or market.

Have to agree to disagree

Your definitions are outdated. It is called intermittent scanning CGM vs real time CGM. Therefore, they are both CGM as far as the medical world is concerned. The data you receive are continuous measurements so for all intents and purposes, they are effectively the same unless you needed real time data.

but you still can;t see them on a device unless you scan the monitor. I thought real time data was the point of CGM.

For a type 1 diabetic on insulin, yes real time has been shown to be more helpful because they need to act on the changing data within minutes/seconds. However, for an athlete or even a type 2 diabetic, what you want is the continuous data. You want to see the curve of your glucose response to what you ate and/or how you are responding to exercise. That’s the power of continuous data which was not as readily available before.

You have to ingest large amounts of free fructose for it to appear in your peripheral circulation. Otherwise, it is essentially all removed by the liver during first pass of portal blood.

Man, I can’t wait until you can buy a combined glucose/lactate/HR/NIRS/respiratory rate/core temperature monitor! Then I could really nail down my training zones and finally make some forward progress!!

Probably gonna be a while, though, so I guess I will just have to continue to rely on my primitive brain…

ETA: Oh crap, I forgot about sleep monitoring.

1 Like

That’ll be released about the same time as the fitness pill - one a day and no need to train. :slight_smile:

Having read the website and watched the video as they say it streams glucose in real time - not sure as it’s a flash device unless the app gets around that - interesting if that is the case that they’re not marketing to people with diabetes which suggest that the data may not be that accurate though trends may be enough.
Next the Libre only keeps readings for 8 hours - so you’d have to grab the data 3 times to get 24 hour coverage and if you were doing a super long event maybe you’d miss data unless the app takes care of it.
Won’t you still need to keep a food log to determine how the food/fuel you took on effected the readings? Otherwise how would you know that the gel or was it a banana at 3:30 into the ride effected you compared to the gel or was it flapjack at the top of that climb…

Sorry tbh can’t see the benefit if you have a working pancreas though I am sure that some will wish to geek out “ad infinitum”.

@Minty_One You asked for thoughts - there you go and personally I think its aimed at people who may have more money than sense or levels of geekiness that require more time than many of us have.

I always thought the point was to avoid finger-stick measurements 20 times per day. Realtime-broadcasting certainly opens up more interesting workflows. Sounds like comparing a basic HRM that broadcasts on BLE/ANT+ to a headunit/watch vs an HRM with a built-in memory that you can download from later. Both have their place – it depends what your purposes are.

1 Like

Kinda yes, or you can see the spike, observe, and remember. The feedback is within minutes/hours.

That’s fair. The biggest benefit I’ve seen personally through the research and self experimentation is the person to person variability in their ability to handle glycemic loads of the same exact meal. It leads to personalized food decisions that have led to better outcomes. For example, I found that I absolutely cannot tolerate a big bowl of vietnamese pho that’s packed with vegetables. I might as well be eating toast dipped in maple syrup as far as glycemic load is concerned.

I think we’re just at the start of how to use the technology effectively. Eventually I see this being something like a heart rate monitor or power meter. It’s not absolutely necessary, but certainly can help most with training and health.

1 Like