Supercaliber vs. Lux

I was looking at some 2020 XC mountain bikes and I noticed that both the Supercaliber and the Lux seem to eliminate the pivot at the dropout and rely on flex to provide suspension.

The Supercaliber really makes a big deal about this stating that it’s unique and pedals like a hardtail and descends like a full suspension. However, the Lux doesn’t seem to get noticed for this feature and doesn’t seem to promote it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the comparisons between these two bikes and experience with either or both? Probably not likely, since they are very different bike companies.

The Lux seems to be equipped better at a lower pricepoint (dropper post included) vs. the Supercaliber 9.8, but the Trek is the one that caught my eye.

Both are great bikes and likely serve you well as fast XC bikes.

Right now there isn’t too much info on real world performance and feel on the Supercaliber but I ended up ordering a Project One build. I races a hard tail Niner last season, so wanted to keep the fast feel but gain some of the benefits of FS.

I have a great relationship with my local Trek store, and they have the best mountain bike mechanics in the area, so it was a no brainier for me to go with the Trek. If I didn’t have the local Trek support, it would have been a tougher decision.

I posted this in another thread but here are my thoughts on the Lux. Oh, and I won a pretty big race on it last weekend so I’m even more of a fan…

6 Likes

Felt also uses a flex point at the dropout for the minute amount of movement that occurs there. It actually works really well, makes you feel like the rear wheel is just driven into the ground as you climb. It is interesting when you remove the rear shock because it actually preloads the suspension a bit…you have to let all the air out and compress the shock a bit to get the bolts out.

I have a Canyon road bike so I’m familiar with the process. If it’s in stock, it’s nice. Just not sure I trust their expertise in mountain bikes fully. But MVP riding them is a big endorsement.

Damn dude that’s a nice gym.

1 Like

Don’t rule out the Scott Spark RC. It has the flex pivot also. Been on one for a while. Stiff and supple if that makes sense.

1 Like

I think the main benefit being touted on the Supercaliber isn’t so much the flex stays (which is common across most XC bikes these days including hardtails), but rather the larger stanchion and pivot hardware in the shock location.

That being said, I haven’t ridden one and there are only a few reports of ride impressions. Most people say that it performs closer to a hardtail than a full suspension bike.

The cool thing with the Supercaliber, is that when you push down on the rear suspension and watch the rear seat stays you can actually see them flex! They’re actually kind of flat looking from the top down view, like a leaf spring! This doesn’t come across in photos like how it does in real life.

I always wonder what the benefit is with the additional travel from the flex vs stanchion travel. It seems to me that having the damping and adjustability of a more traditional shock travel would be beneficial. While the leaf spring design would rebound too quickly and have the potential to unsettle the bike. But maybe there is something I am missing.

For those with experience on the Supercaliber, do you think it has enough rear travel? 60mm seems like enough for XC lines. I’m coming from a hardtail, but am not looking for a hardtail feel, but also not needing to huck anything either.

60mm is enough for XC and the occasional drop or jump. It’s definitely more compliant and capable than a hardtail or even a plus or fatbike.

I have a Funk La Ruta which has 60mm of rear travel and I’m running a 120mm Fox 34SC up front. The bike is balanced really well. I initially had issues bottoming out on small drops and jumps, but adding a volume spacer resolved that issue.

1 Like

Hopefully I’ll be able to give so good feedback onceine arrives. I currently have a Niner Air 9 RDO JY that has a similar build to what the Supercaliber will have including Eagle AXS. I’ll be using the same Enve M525 wheelset, but the Supercaliber will have a SID upfront vs a Fox SC 32 on the front.

I also have a Niner RKT 9 RDO which has 90mm of rear travel but has a 120mm Fox SC 34 on it as well as an ENVE riser bar. This is more of my “trail” bike despite only 90mm rear suspension.

The Supercaliber is going to split the difference between these both in terms of suspension travel but also for weight. It will be interesting to see how it feels and performs on trails that I’ve ridden extensively on the other bikes.

Keep in mind how much of this is marketing.

You don’t need suspension to jump.

1 Like

@t3070 I just meant it can handle small jumps without harshly bottoming out. A lot of jumps I’ve seen on xc courses are jumps to flat or mostly flat landings, so it’s nice to have some forgiveness.

I was rewatching the Nove Mesto XCO race from last year where Neff debuted the Supercaliber. Fun watching her fly the bike off the drops and scream down the descents. Of course she could probably do that on a Huffy as well, but still fun to go back and watch.

2 Likes

I believe they argue it adds some
progressive loading

I have a hardtail now. I’ve been riding single speed for years but starting to get tired of it.

when do you get it?

It’s estimated at 30 - 50 days (order placed last weekend). When the shop puts the order in on the Project One site, it gives an estimated lead time. Interestingly, the week before it was showing 70 - 90 days, so it actually went down.

I will post pics once it arrives. I ordered the “Cosmos” paint.