Suggestions for using MTB on Trainer for TR

I’m an old guy returning to training and would like to do age-group XC racing. Can I use my XC bike on a Trainer with Trainer Road. What trainers would be best? Thanks in advance. J.R.

Are you shopping for a trainer?

What bike, and more importantly, what rear axle system do you have on the bike?

1. Old 9mm x 135mm Quick Release
  2. Newer 12mm x 142mm Thru Axle
  3. Newerer 12mm x 148mm Thru Axle (Boost)
  4. Newerest 12mm x 157mm Thru Axle (Super Boost)

What is your budget?

2 Likes

Hi Chad. Thanks.

Epic Expert with 12 x 148.

If I can use the bike that I have, I’m happy to spend bucks on a Trainer that will enable me to use Trainer Road.

I saw one of the TR promos where one of the Pro Women had her MTB on a trainer (wheel off type). Intuitively, that looks good to me. I think it was the Wahoo Kickr.

Would this setup allow me to use all the programs on TR?

Thanks again.

Thanks. I’ll head towards Direct Drive.

Thanks for that.

Do you have a suggestion or know the consensus on a good Direct Drive unit in the $800-$1000 range?

I enjoy my Tacx Flux S. DC Rainmaker and GPLama have the best reviews though.

Here is a great guide for trainer info:

1 Like

Thanks, Sam. I’ll go look at those.

1 Like

Thank you. Lot of good stuff to mull there.

I hear you on keeping the “skills.” With the weather here in Santa Cruz I’m pretty blessed for being able to get outside most of the year.

I probably need to carefully balance the “comfort” on indoor training with the “learn’n” from cycling through the scree. Best,

I just picked up a new H3 and put my gravel bike on it with an eagle cassette and the cassette does indeed rub on the plastic shroud. Anyone have any experience with this? Was thinking I could remove one of the cogs and add the 10spd cassette spacer or something similar. Mix and match the cogs and spacers to loose a cog and essentially fir the cassette outboard. Can’t imagine it would be a big deal to go back to an 11spd drivetrain… I know, so 2017… :wink:

Hi,
I have the 12x157 super boost rear hub on my mountain bike. Do you have any recommandation on a smart trainer (Direct Drive) ?
I have a hard time finding information.

Thanks

I don’t think any support super boost right now but I could be wrong.

2 Likes

Agree, even boost spacing was difficult a couple years ago, but now there are options. I don’t think super boost will be compatible and rollers may be your only option.

2 Likes

I have a saris H3 as well but for my road bike. It is a solid and nice trainer. You will get a lot of recs depending on the brand they like but here are a few I like and would consider.

H3, Wahoo Kickr, Tacx Neo. There are smaller versions of these trainers like the Wahoo Core or Tacx Flux. Somone else posted the DC Rainmaker link which is a good link to get you familiar.

As already mentioned, there are no 157mm axle compatible wheel-off trainers. I am not sure if any of the wheel-on trainers could handle that width even if you can find an adapter axle.

That “standard” is still really new and not widely adopted. Plain rollers are something to look at. But wheelbase must be verified since these bikes are often longer than rollers can handle.

One option to check that avoids the rear axle problem is the Feedback Omnium Rollers. It is a fork mount system that avoids the rear axle.

The issue with them is that they have no fly wheel and very little rolling inertia as a result. May be just fine for MTB training, but it is very different than the great feel you get with most wheel-off trainers.

2 Likes

I have a 12x157 bike and a Tacx Neo2T and was wondering whether putting a 9mm wide spacer on the non-drive side of te thru-axle might work? Any thoughts?

On the surface at least it seems like designing the correct attachments for 12x157 on the Tacx unit shouldn’t be that difficult. A shame they don’t do it, or make the CAD drawings avail for those might have the means to machine them.