Struggling with HR during sweet spot

Is it normal for the HR to decrease from avg 165 BPM at 160 watts (Ramp Test) to 156 BPM after just 8 SSB Workouts?

My FTP is 158, I’m 40 and I smoke… I plan to quit. I hope I will quit.

It could be that you are seeing increased fitness. HR though can vary day to day so you probably can’t draw many conclusions after 8 workouts.

Yes. Stop smoking ASAP though.

I smoked for 18 years and then have done on and off for 5 years (2 years of then a few months here and there). I no longer smoke at all.

You will struggle with intensity work now and your HR will be through the roof for Z3 efforts. You will not believe the power you put out for the same HR when you quit (or how much less effort it is for the same watts).

Plus you won’t smell :joy:

When I look at ‘time spent in zone’ on TP after sessions the power and HR graphs are now the same. Previously they would be, say,

Power
25% Z1
60% Z2
15% Z3

HR
5% Z1
35% Z2
60% Z3

Now they match.

write a check out to an organization or political party that you hate, make it big enough that it would be unpleasant for you to have it cashed, and then give it to someone and tell them to mail it if you smoke.

Fitness is up for sure, I can feel it.

My Zones:

1 Like

I live in Romania, I hate every political party. :slight_smile:

I will consider your suggestion.

4 Likes

Could you stop smoking and switch to gum or lozenges?

Even changing normal cigarettes for something like Iqos make HUGE difference, especially in terms of HR and how your lungs work. But of course stopping smoking is the best solution.