Struggled with first hard workout after ftp bump

Hi… just finished week 4 in the sustained power build (build phase) mid volume. Did you the ramp test on Monday and saw a 18 watt increase :+1:t3:. All good.

My next workout was Stromboli +3 (x5 eight minutes intervals at 102% ftp)… compleated the first 3 intervals… just, but the 4 & 5 intervals killed me and I had to backpedal for 20ish seconds halfway through.

My question is this… does everyone else struggle with the first hard workout after a ftp bump or have I over reached in my ramp test and should I knock my ftp down a bit.

Many thanks for any feedback.

1 Like

18 watts is huge…no wonder you struggled a bit! If it were me, I wouldn’t make any adjustments just yet and see how the next workout or two go, then make a decision. Is there a chance that you outperformed yourself on the ramp test?

1 Like

I suspect that you’d be able to do Stromboli if reasonably recovered.
I would take the easy day off and see how the next WO goes. I wouldn’t change anything based on one work out.
I’m also a noob and just starting to hear what my body is saying.

1 Like

I struggled in my first one after a 20W bump today… But I did the FTP test only a few hours ago, it was maybe optimistic to think I could do a hard workout this evening as well. So I bailed before the last set. Felt like the right choice since I’d already acquired some TSS at lunchtime doing the FTP test.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts guys… next workout is palisade ( over and unders).

Think I will take a rest day tomorrow and see how it goes… if I manage it then great and carry on with my ftp as it is, if I can’t complete it then I’ll think I might reduce ftp a bit and put it down to overreaching on ramp test.

Cheers

I’d say your ftp is set too high if you can’t complete 102% ftp intervals given that a 20 minute ftp test would mean working at 105% ftp for 20 mins having already done a max 5 minute effort.

2 Likes

My last FTP bump was 40 watts and I struggled HARD for the first week or two. Like you, I was able to finish the workouts, but not without a few breaks that I did not need prior to the new FTP. After a few weeks, the load started to feel much more manageable as I adapted and now I feel great coming up to the end of SSBII. No advice beyond what’s already been said, but I can relate!

4 Likes

I think it’s the ups and downs. It’s the pleasure of knowing that you’ve raised your FTP by a decent amount, but then realising that the peaks on a workout are going to be that little bit harder…and then hopefully by the end of a plan they’ve got a bit more manageable. Rest up and get ready to work hard!

1 Like

I’ve done that before, with the same result haha. Something less intense would likely be a better fit after a ramp test.
I actually had this same workout this morning after new FTP bump last weekend. I failed my first workout for a number of reasons. I ran short of time on my workout two days ago so I was feeling fresh and determined this morning. This workout was not too bad with fresh legs.

2 Likes