Structured Training vs. Group Rides

Currently I’m doing Sustained Power Build (on Week 5) low volume plan having done SSB VLI/II previously. I’m in my mid 40s.

In the past, when I scheduled TR for T/Th/Su, I couldn’t do the Sunday sessions fully due fatigue from the group ride on Saturday. So, for now I have them scheduled for M/W/F (mornings) and group ride on Saturday.

I just did a scheduled ramp test yesterday and got 230; a bit lower than what it was at the start of SPB plan – pretty sure it was due to not enough recovery from the Saturday ride.

My Saturday group rides typically ended up with TSS between 250-350.

My goal is to achieve higher FTP so I can crush these group rides =)

Q1: Do I stick with M/W/F for indoor training?
Q2: Does it make sense to dial back the intensity during group ride so I’m not so fatigue for TR workouts?

PS: Looks like I can sustain higher/longer power outdoor (maybe due to adrenaline or cooling?), but I’m guessing it is pretty common?

From the latest group ride:

Current progress:
g4

IF of 1.02 for almost 3 hours? your FTP setting is probably too low…

3 Likes

@mcneese.chad Thanks for the merge. I read through the thread… good info! Looking forward to other’s comments.

@aegcp 235 is what I had from the previous ramp test. I’m using the same P1 pedals for both indoor and outdoor. (Although during that same ride, Xert’s What’s My FTP was showing 247)

That could almost be me writing that. I agree that for me a 270TSS group ride with lots of efforts completely destroys me for 2/3 days. I’m retired and like riding my bike every day so it gives me a quandary. Trouble is I like that sort of ride too much to give it up. I generally slot in a mixture of VO2max, Sweetspot or Endurance rides on the turbo depending on the weather and on how recovered I feel. I’ve never managed to complete s plan though

just balance your expectations of improvement. solo sessions are dictated by you alone, and your training will sure be more beneficial in terms of power and improving weaknesses when it comes to this.

that said, group rides are immensely fun to many, so be social and go on them. use them to improve your pack riding and ability to move within a group. The surges will most likely be dictated by others which can have some benefit for you as well; having to respond at a moment’s notice vs just knowing when the interval will start. that said, I’d stick to 1-2 group rides a week and work on the personal growth so you come back to the group at your strongest ability.

Cheers!

Do a minimum of one group ride a week as a means of a fitness check and pack skills clinic. Keep in mind not being able to hang can be a product of not enough fitness but also not enough recovery. If your saturday group goes 2-3 hours try tacking on a half hour before and after to make it 3 hour minimum. Add intervals mid-week and you’ll be good to go.

I found combining the low volume plan with a hard Saturday group ride is the perfect balance of getting some outside riding and structured training. The group ride is usually around 250+ tss coupled with the three tr workouts. I think a really important part is to do the 1.5 hr tr ride on Sunday while tired from the previous days hard efforts. When I can string 5-6 weeks together of this format my power comes up pretty fast and I drop weight.

1 Like

I had a similar scenario. My group ride isnt quite a hammerfest…but it does have two long, multi mile long ‘sprints’ which really are like uber long vo2 max intervals.

Groip ride on tues night. I had trainerroad workouts scheduled on wed morning. It was a bitch. So I wanted both, but prioritized the TR workout as i figured it would make me faster. So I did my wed TR workout on tues morning, then did whatever I could on the groupride that night.