Strength Training

Thanks. I will modify to more endurance. Over ambitious I guess. But then failing TR workouts and not getting anywhere.

2 Likes

thanks, I will go modify riding to more endurance and tempo.

1 Like

Iā€™m a year or two younger than you, three years ago I tried combining strength and TrainerRoad SSB. Failed miserably. Tried again two years ago with strength and TRā€™s Traditional Base, that went better. A year ago I used FasCatā€™s off-season strength training 10 week plan and that programming worked very well. I also own a 19 week plan from Scientific Triathlon but its perhaps better after I do a couple years consistent combined strength+cycling.

This year Iā€™m trying a ā€œless is moreā€ approach, using this routine

• squat
  • unilateral leg press
  • standing unilateral hip flexion
  • ankle plantar flexion

which Ronnestad has used in various studies such as "Strength training improves performance and pedaling characteristics in elite cyclists

The routine was posted above:

Thanks to @brennus for mentioning this in some thread, somewhere on the forum.

While Iā€™m not elite, one thing Iā€™ve learned from my cycling coach is that you can stimulate on the bike adaptations with fewer intervals than what I was doing on TR plans. Spend your energy budget wisely I say. So Iā€™m taking a similar approach with strength training. Iā€™m also doing the FasCat recommended 12-minute Foundation and some other hip/core work.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

In my opinion people are often making this strength training thing way more complicated than it needs to be. Just do Squats, Deadlifts, pull-ups and push-ups twice a week in a slow but steady progression and youā€™ve got 90% of the benefits covered. The remaining 10% consisting of isolated and single leg work is just the icing on the cake and should be added last.

Once you can squat 1 - 1.5 times bodyweight for reps youā€™ll 100% feel the benefits on and off the bike.

23 Likes

Based off of Dylanā€™s video his next one will be ā€œwhy dialed health doesnā€™t workā€ :joy:
He made some great points but Iā€™ll stick with strength coaches that have real world experience with hundreds if not thousands of endurance athletes.

Going back to your original post, you mentioned that you are doing the stair climber??? For how much and how long? Even if it is just for 5 minutes as a warm up, that seems like something that is inconsistent with your goals and could be cut out right away.

If you have time, I cannot recommend enough riding in the morning then doing legs later that day. It allows for more days of recovery following your hard sessions. Additionally, with a little fatigue probably already in the legs, from my experience it prevents me from going overboard with the lifting.

1 Like

when I run out of time, Iā€™ll do an afternoon ride and then a 2-4 hours later lift after dinner. Not as ideal as separating into morning and evening, but doing both in the same day is better for the weekly schedule and more importantly maximizing recovery. IMHO.

4 Likes

Stair climber was 10 minutes as a warm up, dropped back to 5 minutes as I was really working it hard. I see TR has a new video out on weight training interfering with cycling. I think I will watch this and also take the advice everyone has given here to revise and press forward again.

you can literally listen to this podcast:

take notes, and do the 10-week FasCat plan without purchasing it.

More info here Weight Lifting for Cycling ā€“ FasCat Coaching

The plan with weights is $49 and you can use it over and over. Weight Lifting For Cycling šŸ’„ New ā€“ FasCat Coaching and there is a separate plan for home based workouts without barbell.

1 Like

Like who? Genuinely curious.

Derek Teal ( dialed health) I have gotten a lot of good information from the Mind Pump guys. They have a great podcast that I listen to. Theyā€™re more focused on actual strength training but have answered lots of questions pertaining to endurance athletes and strength training. I have a guy locally in Florida who works at Palm Beach Sports club who has written a program for me in the past. Most coaches recommend at least 1 day a week with extra mobility days.

Adding to this; Fascat Iā€™m sure is a great resource also!

Dunno, but Iā€™lll stick with cycling coaches that have real-world feedback from hundreds of cyclists over many many years.

1 Like

Honestly Dylanā€™s latest video doesnā€™t give barely any new content that he hasnā€™t already covered previously. I followed his protocol laid out previously, just because itā€™s simple and progressive.

Iā€™ve maxed out my home weight set up, and gone from pretty weak to just over 105% BW back squat and 115% BW deadlift. I could go further on both with a new set up, especially deadlift, but am happy with my progress. I did 9 weeks of strength. Initially 3x, then 2x per week. Now gone into maintenance 1x per week - nice to have the extra time back!

Iā€™m looking forward to freshening up in the new year and seeing what sprints and 5 min power are like.

1 Like

Pretty sure the coach mentioned above fits that descriptionā€¦

1 Like

Derek at Dialed Health (local to me)? I donā€™t know much about how long he has been doing this, but Iā€™d think he has some longitudinal data. Very few cyclists talk about strength on group rides, first I heard about him was on the forum. My training is pretty well dialed in now and would consider giving DH a shot if I didnā€™t already have vetted plans and experience.

After listening to the most recent podcast (341), this will be my exact approach. Iā€™m certainly not at the pointy end of things so just doing it will provide some kind of benefit.

3 Likes

Simplicity for the win. I lift twice a week and do core whenever life allows, usually 3-4 times a week.

Lifting consists of Bulgarian split squats and step-ups with adjustable dumbbells done at home before work. Three sets of 3-6reps, posterior chain focus. Session time less than 30mins with warm-up. More intense than Z2 ride in the evening, as strength work already messes with the autonomic balance. Usually tempo with bursts this time of the year.

The Ronnestad protocol is sound imho, but by my experience cyclists may benefit from a more posterior chain focus. I would personally learn a unilateral squat variation and replace the leg press with one of those.

3 Likes

Care to share your current plan mate?

Everyone could benefit from doing at least one day a week of strength training. Like stated above, donā€™t have to make it too complicated. There are some great plans built out there that can guide people along the way. One thing is for sure if you are new to it, focus on form and not trying to lift as heavy as you possibly can. Which usually means beginning with a more strength endurance focused phase in the gym. That is usually 1 to 3 sets 12 to 20 repetitions, light weights. If you donā€™t have a gym you definitely have a floor. you can do some push-ups, sit ups, bodyweight squats/lunges or side lunges, and even chair dips.

Hi, the latest podcast released yesterday covers this

There will be more on this in two weeks as well