Strava Raises Prices But Can’t Tell You How Much It Costs Anymore

Plus Intervals.icu for analytics and Veloviewer. Veloviewer integrated with a route creation tool would be awesome to preview the route before riding it or signing up for an event

1 Like

I’ve given Strava several years to add features. I went premium after the founders took over control again. Progress was slow and there were several times we actually lost features (e. g. Bluetooth sensor support). Strava’s support has always been less than helpful. Its help pages are abysmal. I had to learn on this forum that you actually can plan group rides with Strava, it just isn’t documented and you can only do it in a very narrow set of circumstances.

From memory, it only “implemented one feature” I requested (not saying I was the only one), and that was to hide initial and final destinations by default. So they only had to change a default, the feature had already been implemented. Rather than implementing many features, I just remember that features were moved behind their paywall.

The only big feature I can think of off the top of my head is their route planner. It works well-ish. I found there were too few distance options and that it sometimes would create routes that weren’t very enjoyable (too many traffic lights, etc.).

Overall, Strava is not a great product, not even a good one. If it was clear they were making progress, then I’d be inclined to stay around and do my small share to finance their efforts. But they have flatlined. I have given up on them. I’ll still use the free version. Strava is ripe for competition. If companies like Wahoo or Garmin — especially Garmin — would make their platform device-agnostic, we’d probably have an instakill here.

5 Likes

Anytime a company raises prices, many people reevaluate whether that price is worth it. Sure in this case people are also annoyed about Strava’s communication on the increase.

1 Like

Norway, where I live, is not even on the list. Guess we gat Strava for free :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Finally… an email notification:

2 Likes

Just received the same email

1 Like

They sent the UK version out this morning too.

2 Likes

No email for me but I’ve noticed the account page has been reworked to convince people not to cancel a bit:

2 Likes

As others have posted - CTL would be a similarhing.

My understanding is that there are variations in the fitness/fatigue/freshness score that Strava has and CTL/TSB/ATL that other platforms (e.g. intervals) use and that intervals is slightly better. than Strava Intervals is what I use for this info and seems to be pretty much correct – or at least validates how I am feeling :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oddly (or maybe not!), I haven’t received an email about this yet.

No mail for me, but the Account screen has changed - I subscribe through Google Play and the strava site is now telling me that it’ll expire instead of renew… although the Google subscription page is still showing an automatic renewal for €59.99

Have been watching the stupidity continue. Put the final nail in the coffin today; fully deleted my account. For now I’m fully on Garmin Connect.

Honestly, I barely care about segment times, KOMs, etc. It’s just sort of fun. I’ll look if it’s there, have a chuckle, but there’s no way in hell I’m paying even $ 1.00 / mo for it.

If Connect brings that functionality online, cool. If another free app takes over Strava’s niche when they inevitably die, soon, cool, I might jump on that. Maybe.

I’m here to be forever racing yesterday me, and do races in real life. I honestly don’t give a ______ how I rank against the 12 fastest cyclists in my entire region to hit that stretch in the last ________ days.

Peace out, Strava. Choke to death on your greed & failure.

1 Like

New Price udpate…Or not…Canceling premium. Not quite ready to bail completely, but I’m on the verge.

Are my eyes in need of new glasses… or does your pricing actually show $7.99/year instead of $79.99/year like I and others see?

4 Likes

:rofl: can’t help but ask - what wrongs did Strava heap upon you? Taking away features from the free app? Raising prices during inflationary times?

5 Likes

Ive always felt they should have priced at a level where people subscribe and forget they pay for it…

£/$3 per month… or something small like that, treat it like a micro transaction and see how many additional premium members they pick up.

People see the £/$80 per year price and step away as it’s not an insignificant amount and then it leads to comparisons to other products. Ask me for £3 a month via DD and il still be paying for it 4 years later and not realised (that probably says more about me tbf)

5 Likes

It does say $7.99 per year. So I reach out and somehow I was moved from the annual subscription to monthly (I didn’t change anything) and their system is providing incorrect pricing.

1 Like

Hey @WindWarrior , LOL!!

For my personal uses, I couldn’t care less. As I said, I haven’t actively used Strava in a few years. Haven’t logged in in forever, deleted the app from my phone, etc. Was just using it as a backup database, iiiiin case Connect ever fully fried my data [impossible?].

But I really do feel for those who were using it, are living paycheck to paycheck, and cycling [running, etc] is their one outlet. All jokes aside, cycling can be kept to a relatively low-budget venue for exercise, and pleasure.

Bottom line: It’s an inexcusable, unforgivable super-jerk move to get all users ‘hooked’ on features, and then eliminate them from free, forcing them to pay. It’s nothing but CEO / corporate greed, stupidity and lack of business acumen, and there’s absolutely zero reason for it.

There are dozens of successful, advanced, and very useful apps that are completely free. This didn’t require them to ‘re-invent the wheel’, business model wise. It’s old news.

They could have done anything; kept free free, with in-app adds, and those who can afford it can pay for a no-add experience. Whatever. I don’t need to be an economist or explain a solution here; dozens are doing it. They could have.

If a race car team complains to me that they can’t make their car as fast as the competitor, and say “It’s not possible, they can’t actually be that fast.”, I don’t need to be able to explain the inner workings of how they got their car to be that fast. Just observing that they are that fast, the car does work, proves it is possible.

Strava weren’t interested in whether or not it was possible. They banked on having their users so hooked that they could totally screw them, and they’d have no choice but to pay.

I’m standing with the group who wants to tell them they were dead wrong, and you can’t treat people like that. Particularly with no justifiable reason!! : )
I

1 Like

They tried to DOUBLE my price, from $10 to $20 per month, I’ve been a paid subscriber since day 1 but they don’t provide that much value. Subscription cancelled.

Not even one week later: Strava wants me back so bad, they are offering $6.99 per month for a subscription. I went for it and ended up dropping my subscription price overall. Not sure what their master plan is but I’m sure this wasn’t it…

1 Like

I just want to know how I can opt out of all their marketing emails. It’s a fracking constant stream of offers.