Stages of Recovery

This has been a strange recovery week, and I find myself doubting what my legs are telling me. I’ve extended my normal 5 day recovery week by 2 days now, but as we all do I have a nagging doubt that I’m over resting. To be clear I’m pretty certain my legs are telling me to rest. If nothing else this will be a good learning experience.

Does TR or the forum have a good article on what happens to our legs during a recovery week, how they generally feel over time (e.g. sore, fresh, rubber, ready), and what are good signs your recovery is over and your just over resting?

2 Likes

Great question and pretty confident I haven’t heard discussion on this particular point on the pod

My legs move fresher daily. I recognize this by doing the recovery aerobic rides specified in plan builder. Usually by the 3-4 day my legs are still telling me to vegetate. However, day 5 and onward, they get fresher until the next week I am ready to go. I might carry some fatigue into a ramp test but for all practical purposes, fresh. Recovery week are legs telling me to over-rest, body telling me to over-eat. So much for listening to my body!

In this frame, I don’t think ‘Over-Resting’ is possible. Now if you were taking a month recovery…

1 Like

The 5 stages of recovery are:

• denial .
  • anger .
  • bargaining .
  • depression .
  • acceptance .

(It’s funny because it is accurate. :rofl::rofl::rofl:)

6 Likes

I think it would be difficult to over rest.

I just wrapped up a rest week and took it much easier than TR rest weeks. I was under 55% FTP for 3 days and under 60% for 2 days. My legs feel much better than going through a normal rest week and I just set 1min and 40min power PRs. :man_shrugging:

I once rested too long.

My legs fell off and the surgeon who sewed them back on mixed up my left/right.

My 52/48 power balance became a 48/52 and it screwed with my head for weeks.

1 Like